Question Motherboard doesn‘t recognize Fans after installing new GPU

Nov 23, 2020
Hey everyone,

Today I received a new GPU, the Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity. I‘ve tried to install it but am now having trouble:
After removing the old Nvidia driver for my GTX 980 and installing the RTX 3090 into the system, I booted up the system and all fans were running on 100%.
This does not change after entering Windows or the Bios.

When in Windows, I can check tools such as MSI‘s Dragon Center or HWMonitor etc. and what‘s remarkable is that Dragon Center thinks that all fans are running at 0 RPM. The CPU Fan, the MB‘s Chipset fan, the system fans, they are all shown with 0 RPM. While they are all running at 100% capacity and originally showed distinct and correct values.

The System:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • CPU Fan: Alpenfohn Brocken 3 (4pin fan!)
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi
  • Nvidia GTX 980/Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity (problems occur irrespective of the GPU now)
According to the BIOS the CPU-Fan still is on PWM. The fan curve seems to use ranges of 5-7k for the CPU fan which has a pretty low limit around 1000 RPM. While the Chipset fan‘s range is exactly around that range...(?). The BIOS shows the current RPM of the CPU Fan at 1048 RPM (and all other fans as well).

I‘ve updated the BIOS to the most recent non-beta version which is from the 4th of November this year..
This had zero effect.

I did not switch any cables in the system except for moving the tower LED cable from jrainbow1 to jrainbow2 because the original position was not compatible with the large new card. Putting it back into the original position does not help.

These detail questions are not my field of expertise, so if I stated something confusingly, let me know. :)
If more information is needed, let me know. :)

Best,
ABerry

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS