Question Motherboard doesnt boot

manuwieder

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
Hello together,
I already posted my problem, a little bit ago. After that I was abroad and didnt get any answer, soI thought, I create a new Post. You can see my setup and so on in the other post.
I hope you can help me.
Best Regards

Actually, you don't show as having ANY other posts. I suspect that you probably posted during a time when we were having problems with the system and that is still being sorted out so you will need to RE-supply us with the information that you put in that other post, here.

Please explain your problem in detail and provide your FULL hardware specifications including ALL part numbers for CPU, motherboard, memory kit, power supply (EXACT model number), CPU cooler, graphics card, storage devices (HDD, SSD, etc.), case and case cooling configuration.

manuwieder

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
Oh, sorry. My Setup:
CPU: 2x Xeon X5670
MB: Intel S5520HC
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
RAM: 4x 4GB HP-Compaq 1333MHz
SSD: Kingston 240 GB
Graphic Card: Nvidia GT1030
CPU Cooler: Standard Intel Server Cooler.
My Problem: If I insert only one CPU all is working fine, but if I insert the second CPU the system doesnt boot and the beep code 1-5-4-4. This means according to the service guide : ""error code 1-5-4-4 for power control fault ". I think the problem is that my PSU dont have the connector for the "Aux Power Signal" connector on the MB. Online I dont find anything about that connector. Have you any information about that connector, or further ideas why the server isnt running with 2 cpus ?
Thanks for your feedback

Yes, you need both of the 4+4 EPS connections in order to use two processors. Using only one EPS 4+4 (8 pin) connector is not satisfactory for dual CPU operation. You need to find a good quality power supply that has dual EPS connectors. I can find one for you if you can tell me what country you are in and what your budget is for a new power supply?

Unfortunately, there is no other way to do this.

manuwieder

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
Yeah of course, both 4+4 EPS connectors are connected . My PSU have two of them. but I was talking about something diffrent. Have a look on this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s.../e39527008_s5520hc_s5500hcv_service_guide.pdf on Page 4 there is a drawing of the mainboard. At the lower right corner is a connector , named as Aux Pwr Signal. I think that is the problem. Have you any ideas or informations about that connector?
Thanks

What is your full motherboard model number, because for all boards starting with S5520HC there are additional identifying numbers that come after that. Should be printed directly on the motherboard itself. There are a number of different boards beginning with S5520HC and they are of varying revisions and configurations.

I can't find anything that says either way, but I'd assume since this is the only board I'm seeing that even uses this auxiliary connector that for dual CPUs it probably is a requirement. Either that, or one of the CPUs is faulty. Have you tried booting with both CPUs individually?

No, what I mean is, does it boot with each CPU when each CPU is used BY ITSELF, as only a single CPU installed.

Does all "work fine" no matter which CPU you use, or does it work fine only with one CPU in use but not with the other one in use? If so, then it's probably a CPU problem. Otherwise, it's pretty much got to be because of the lack of that power connector.

Also, have you tried each CPU in each socket? Maybe it's just a problem with one of the CPU sockets. Check for bent pins on the CPU socket bed with a high powered magnification device like reading glasses or a magnifying glass. Even one bent pin, slightly bent, could be the issue.

Last edited:

manuwieder

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, I tested all sitatuions, both CPUS in both sockets, but everytime the same failure. --> every socket work with every CPU. Pins are all fine in my opinion.
Any further ideas?
Thanks