[SOLVED] Motherboard doesn't have outputs for 5.1 sound...what should I buy?

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
I'm running a desktop with a ASUS Prime Z370-P LGA 1151 motherboard. It's bothered me for a while that I can't make use of all of my speakers...I've just got left and right, but I have an older speaker set with enough parts for 5.1

Because the speaker set is older, it's only got three 1/8" inputs for LR, LR, sub. My motherboard only has a single 1/8" output jack, and I don't have a separate sound card.

I assume I could buy another sound card! I have plenty of space. But the motherboard's onboard sound is fine, so that seems like overkill. I've looked at options to change the motherboard's microphone jack to an audio jack, but I don't really want to do that. Or, I suppose there might be a sort of cable I could get that could convert from something digital into an analogue 1/8" jack. I've also seen wee modules that plug into USB or something, and have a battery of analogue jacks available. Are those any good?

Ideally I'd wants something internal (for the sake of aesthetics) and cheap. If I have to pick one, I'd pick cheap. I feel like this is a problem that should be pretty simple to solve. What's the best way to go about fixing it?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention. The motherboard has plenty of USB spots, a spare HDMI, and the three analogue input/output jacks (one of which I'm currently using, and I'd rather not mess with changing the inputs to outputs); and the graphics card has a couple of spare DisplayPorts (I have no idea if running audio through one of those is feasible? It sounds like a silly idea, but until I wound up with this card I had never heard of a DisplayPort so who knows!)

Last edited:
Solution
honest answer is that I tried that and could not understand how to make it work.
I wasn't able to see a BIOS setting to change the function of those jacks, and I wasn't able to change it in the audio controller's software settings.
Any suggestions on how to reassign those analogue plugs?
  1. Open Control Panel\Sound
  2. Switch to playback tab.
  3. Select your sound device (speakers)
  4. Press configure
  5. Select appropriate speaker setup (5.1)
  6. Connect speakers as described in manual (pages 1-11, 1-12)
  • blue - rear out
  • lime - front out
  • pink - bass/center

kanewolf

Titan
I'm running a desktop with a ASUS Prime Z370-P LGA 1151 motherboard. It's bothered me for a while that I can't make use of all of my speakers...I've just got left and right, but I have an older speaker set with enough parts for 5.1

Because the speaker set is older, it's only got three 1/8" inputs for LR, LR, sub. My motherboard only has a single 1/8" output jack, and I don't have a separate sound card.

I assume I could buy another sound card! I have plenty of space. But the motherboard's onboard sound is fine, so that seems like overkill. I've looked at options to change the motherboard's microphone jack to an audio jack, but I don't really want to do that. Or, I suppose there might be a sort of cable I could get that could convert from something digital into an analogue 1/8" jack. I've also seen wee modules that plug into USB or something, and have a battery of analogue jacks available. Are those any good?

Ideally I'd wants something internal (for the sake of aesthetics) and cheap. If I have to pick one, I'd pick cheap. I feel like this is a problem that should be pretty simple to solve. What's the best way to go about fixing it?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention. The motherboard has plenty of USB spots, a spare HDMI, and the three analogue input/output jacks (one of which I'm currently using, and I'd rather not mess with changing the inputs to outputs); and the graphics card has a couple of spare DisplayPorts (I have no idea if running audio through one of those is feasible? It sounds like a silly idea, but until I wound up with this card I had never heard of a DisplayPort so who knows!)
What format do you want 5.1 output ? Optical? Five RCA jacks? The motherboard has a SPDIF output port on the bottom corner
If optical is acceptable you can get this -- https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Optical-Plate-Cable-Bracket/dp/B003AV944Y I just googled "asus spdif out to back panel optical"

Reactions: Gorgatrounce

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
What format do you want 5.1 output ? Optical? Five RCA jacks? The motherboard has a SPDIF output port on the bottom corner
If optical is acceptable you can get this -- https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Optical-Plate-Cable-Bracket/dp/B003AV944Y I just googled "asus spdif out to back panel optical"
My speaker system has three separate analogue 1/8" stereo jacks: two jacks each for LR, one jack for sub. So if I go an optical route, I imagine I'd still need an adapter.

I imagine I need either a card, or a module, or a cable that can provide me with 3 or 5 analogue--->some sort of digital. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the cheapest, tidiest solution for that.

kanewolf

Titan
My speaker system has three separate analogue 1/8" stereo jacks: two jacks each for LR, one jack for sub. So if I go an optical route, I imagine I'd still need an adapter.

I imagine I need either a card, or a module, or a cable that can provide me with 3 or 5 analogue--->some sort of digital. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the cheapest, tidiest solution for that.
Page 22 of the user manual says you can use the three analog plugs on the back panel for 5.1 analog output.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-P/E13411_PRIME_Z370-P_UM_WEB.pdf

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
Page 22 of the user manual says you can use the three analog plugs on the back panel for 5.1 analog output.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-P/E13411_PRIME_Z370-P_UM_WEB.pdf

I mentioned above that I don't want to do that...the more honest answer is that I tried that and could not understand how to make it work. I wasn't able to see a BIOS setting to change the function of those jacks, and I wasn't able to change it in the audio controller's software settings. Unfortunately the manual just says "you can do it", it doesn't explain how.

In a gordian knot situation, I thought it'd be easier to simply buy a new gubbin and bypass the issue. Any suggestions on how to reassign those analogue plugs?

honest answer is that I tried that and could not understand how to make it work.
I wasn't able to see a BIOS setting to change the function of those jacks, and I wasn't able to change it in the audio controller's software settings.
Any suggestions on how to reassign those analogue plugs?
  4. Press configure
  • blue - rear out
  • lime - front out
  • pink - bass/center

Solution

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
  4. Press configure
  • blue - rear out
  • lime - front out
  • pink - bass/center
Dear sir or madam,

I feel like a proper numpty. I could have sworn I did exactly that, before, once upon a time. Yeah...that solves it for me. Good lord.

Thank you!

If you don't want to reconfigure the inputs as outputs for surround (Something Realtek audio can do for ages, even my old LGA775 board can do that), then getting a dedicated card is the way. Either from digital out (SPIDF or optical) or by buying a (PCI/PCIe/USB) card that can give you the outputs directly.

Gorgatrounce

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
If you don't want to reconfigure the inputs as outputs for surround (Something Realtek audio can do for ages, even my old LGA775 board can do that), then getting a dedicated card is the way. Either from digital out (SPIDF or optical) or by buying a (PCI/PCIe/USB) card that can give you the outputs directly.

For some reason every time I tried, the option was greyed out (logged in as admin). When I checked today, lo and behold, the option was there. Appreciate the suggestion, thanks!