• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question motherboard doesn't recognize my headset...

Jul 8, 2019
HELLO GUYS, i bought a SENNHEISER game zero headset for my computer and once i tried plugging it in the front jack of my computer and it didn't work so i tried plugging it on the rear jacks which was LINE OUT FOR GREEN AND MIC FOR PINK

also still not working....
so i thought trying to plug the cables on my brother's computer (front jacks) and it worked !

so i'm thinking the problem isn't actually from the headset but something with my computer

so i went to his sounds settings and i noticed he has the REALTEK high definition audio driver and i don't have it on my computer
and my computer is actually not very old i bought it almost 1 year ago with actually new pc components

doesn't the realtek high definiton audio driver should comes with my computer..?
and if so why i don't have it ?

so i tried to download it from their website and everytime i install it i check on my device manager and it still doesn't show up...
like i'm i messing something with this driver or what ?

and also shouldn't my pc at least recognize the headset even without realtek high definition audio because i plugged it in the rear jack ?

so i'm thinking that my motherboard is on fault, do you guys have any good suggestions to fix this problem because i would greatly appreciate it

Jul 8, 2019
List your PC Specs.

Not all computers use realtek drivers for sound. You need to go to your motherboards manufacturers support page for your specific mobo and there should be a download section with the audio driver you need.

AORUS Z390 PRO

STRIX RTX 2070

I5 9600K

16GB RAM 3200MHZ

M.2 SSD + WD BLUE HDD

yes actually i also went to my motherboard website and it has a realtek drivers download and i tried from their website and didn't work for me...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

Check to make sure the front IO HD Audio connector is fully inserted into the mobo.

Worse comes to worse you can buy a cheap USB 3.5mm adapter and see if that works.

I assume you have made sure that you are going into Windows Sounds settings and making sure the correct output is selected.

Jul 8, 2019
Check to make sure the front IO HD Audio connector is fully inserted into the mobo.

Worse comes to worse you can buy a cheap USB 3.5mm adapter and see if that works.

I assume you have made sure that you are going into Windows Sounds settings and making sure the correct output is selected.
yea im gonna check for the HD audio connector and also yea for the windows sounds settings the outputs for the jacks doesn't get recognized and i don't see any audio devices except for nivida hd audios

Jul 8, 2019
so i had once my hyperx cloud 2 which uses a usb cable to function but it got fault last week and wanted to change to sennheiser game zero headset which uses jack 3.5 plugs and got it two days ago
tried to plug it on the front jacks and nothing showed up in the playback devices then i tried to plug it in the rear jacks LINE OUT FOR GREEN AND MIC FOR PINK
and also nothing showed up on my devices
so i went to check in device manager and i only got 2 drivers on my audio...
which are nivida hd audio
and nivida virtual audio device WDM

so i searched for my problem and someone said try to download the realtek drivers from your mobo website

so i went their and downloaded the realtek driver that corresponds to my windows build which is 1809. windows 10

and still nothing showed up on device manager

what do you think guys i should do ?
i've even formatted my windows to 1909 build which was kinda laggy and also didn't work so i rolled back to 1809 windows build

so do i need some kind of a driver or am i missing something with this or not ?

ASK THE COMMUNITY