Question Motherboard don't recognize cpu fan (laptop)

Oct 5, 2021
Hello,

I have a Lenovo G550 laptop (a little old, I know). Last month I realized that the cpu temp was going up to 100ºC because the fan wasn't working.

The problem: when I turn on the laptop, the cpu fan spins for 3 sec, than stops., everything ok. But after that it remains off, even with the cpu temp high.

I've tried a lot of things: cleaned the fan; cleaned the "MB pins"; tested another fan (same working laptop model)... SpeedFan doesn't recognize the fan, HWMonitor too. Bios Setup doesn't have the option to control the activity of it (MB from 2010, I think). My Bios version is the same as the newest that I've found on the internet.

My idea: can I use some kind of jumper on the fan to stay always on?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you move the blades of the fan with a thin headed screw driver? Did you replace the fan with an identical fan? If you did and you still can't see the fan moving, then it's highly probably that the motherboard has croaked, meaning the power delivery to the fan and it's management is compromised. Does the fan spin when you're in BIOS?

If you do have the fan wired to run at all times and at full speed, it's going to be an ear sore.

Oct 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you move the blades of the fan with a thin headed screw driver? Did you replace the fan with an identical fan? If you did and you still can't see the fan moving, then it's highly probably that the motherboard has croaked, meaning the power delivery to the fan and it's management is compromised. Does the fan spin when you're in BIOS?

If you do have the fan wired to run at all times and at full speed, it's going to be an ear sore.

Yes, my cousin has the same model. I've tested his fan and didn't work on mine.
When I turn on the laptop, the fan spins to maybe 50% of capacity, then slows down and stop (normal, right?). So I thought that, as the fan rotates, the power isn't the problem, but maybe, as you said, the management. I've tried running on Bios setup for long period and stressing with hirens boot, neither one worked.

I use the laptop rarely, for now the noise of the fan working full speed won't be a problem. If there is another solution, I accept. If not, I'll accept some advice to how to wire the fan all time.

Thank you for your attention!