[SOLVED] Motherboard drivers installation question

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi,

I am running a MSI b550m bazooka with a 3800x. I've installed the AMD chipset drivers from AMD's website.

I was wondering, do I need to install any of the motherboard drivers? I had windows installed on an m.2 which I transferred over so some of the basic drivers were already installed. The motherboard support page has these drivers:

AM4 RAID Driver - don't think I need this since I am not running RAID

AMD Chipset Driver - Already installed from AMD's website, do I need to install this too?

AMD Graphics Drivers - already had nvidia drivers on my old m.2 which I transferred over. Also updated to lastest Nvidia drivers so I think I don't need this?

Realtek HD Universal Driver - I have audio fine from my headset so not sure if I need this

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers - already have working internet.

Solution
Are there certain issues you're likely to face when transferring? Or do you just do a clean install to be safer? I've read from some people who said if it works after transferring then it's fine. But I am not sure, I got some mixed answers.
Of the 3 possibilities I listed above, I've seen all 3.
Anyone who says it simply works all the time is clueless.

Some times it works, sometimes it does not.
There is no 'likely' or 'usual' range of issues.
Hi,

I am running a MSI b550m bazooka with a 3800x. I've installed the AMD chipset drivers from AMD's website.

I was wondering, do I need to install any of the motherboard drivers? I had windows installed on an m.2 which I transferred over so some of the basic drivers were already installed. The motherboard support page has these drivers:

AM4 RAID Driver - don't think I need this since I am not running RAID

AMD Chipset Driver - Already installed from AMD's website, do I need to install this too?

AMD Graphics Drivers - already had nvidia drivers on my old m.2 which I transferred over. Also updated to lastest Nvidia drivers so I think I don't need this?

Realtek HD Universal Driver - I have audio fine from my headset so not sure if I need this

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers - already have working internet.
You took a disk with the OS installed on it and moved it to another machine.

That's an 'iffy' thing to do.

As for the chipset driver compare what the mobo site offers vs AMD.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
You took a disk with the OS installed on it and moved it to another machine.

That's an 'iffy' thing to do.

As for the chipset driver compare what the mobo site offers vs AMD.

I didn't realize it was an iffy thing to do until after I did it. I had to reactive windows but everything seemed to work fine so I am not too sure. Should I keep it or do a fresh install?

As for the chipset driver. The motherboard site shows a version number 2.15 and I installed version 3.09 from AMD's website. So I guess the one on the motherboard haven't been updated.

USAFRet

Titan
Should I keep it or do a fresh install?
Fresh install.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Fresh install.

Are there certain issues you're likely to face when transferring? Or do you just do a clean install to be safer? I've read from some people who said if it works after transferring then it's fine. But I am not sure, I got some mixed answers.

USAFRet

Titan
Of the 3 possibilities I listed above, I've seen all 3.
Anyone who says it simply works all the time is clueless.

Some times it works, sometimes it does not.
There is no 'likely' or 'usual' range of issues.

Solution
I didn't realize it was an iffy thing to do until after I did it. I had to reactive windows but everything seemed to work fine so I am not too sure. Should I keep it or do a fresh install?

As for the chipset driver. The motherboard site shows a version number 2.15 and I installed version 3.09 from AMD's website. So I guess the one on the motherboard haven't been updated.
Keep the 3.09.
Run the machine if you start having wonky stuff start over with a fresh install of windows.