Question Motherboard Dying?

hobbesmarcus

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
About two weeks ago my computer rebooted without warning and I received a notification about an Asus anti-surge protection which was the reason for the reboot. We had no blackout or anything. And it's been happening daily since then, sometimes a few times a day.

Assuming it was due to a faulty power supply I purchased a new one and installed it but the problem persists.

I also thought perhaps I'm drawing too much power from the power strip which has my computer, monitor and sub plugged into it so I plugged the monitor and then the computer into a socket from elsewhere in the room but my computer continued to reboot at random times.

Thinking it may be due to a slightly loose cable I opened up the machine and ensured everything was connected properly.

I also took my PC outside and used a duster to get rid of the dust in there.

I have checked and updated the latest drivers for my video card and monitor. I also did two tests of the memory and there are no issues there.

The last thing I tried was a system reset where it deleted a lot of files and reinstalled Windows.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but I purchased a new monitor right around the time this all began.

My computer is about 3.5 years old. I built it myself and have had no issues until now. Here are the specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus Atx DDR3 2600 LGA Z97-A
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Power supply (both of them): EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W
Liquid cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
Hard drives: Two older Western Digital SATAs, one Samsung SSD EVO 500GB which is where Windows is

The fans are all spinning fine and I downloaded HWMonitor and everything is running at appropriate temperatures.

In addition, sometimes while my browser is open the tabs will flicker which it clearly shouldn't do and I get other graphical twitches in games or Windows.

I've read how some people disable the anti-surge protection in the BIOS which I've looked at but I'm hesitant to do. While this could be a false positive I'm not about to turn that off and end up losing everything in case it is real.

Is my motherboard dying or could there be anything else I haven't thought about? I'm almost at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Thank you.

Last edited:

hobbesmarcus

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I think I figured it out. Somehow it's my graphics card causing the issue. I removed it and used the onboard graphics card and I have no issues. So I have to figure out now if the card is dying or what's going on.

Thank you for the reply Clutchc!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts