Motherboard ethernet not working, partially incompatible OS

Oct 13, 2018
Hello, so I'm upgrading my PC and I installed a new mobo (MSI B350 Tomahawk), CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 1600), and power supply. All was working just fine until I tried connecting to the internet via my ethernet cable. I know the cable and the router aren't issues because when I plug it into my laptop it works just fine.

I also had an oversight when installing the processor. I forgot that I hadn't installed windows 10, I was still on 8.1 and the Ryzen 5 is only compatible with 10. I'm unsure if this could be related, but with no way to get online I can't install the new OS. The system still runs, but obviously I'd like to fit it with the compatible software. I'm considering putting Windows 10 on an external drive and loading it that way, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.
I also tried a USB Wifi receiver but that didn't work either.

The network drivers are working, and I may get an internet connection for a second or two, so I'm just unsure how to proceed from here. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
You should list your specs like so:
CPU:
Mothers;rd:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you performed an upgrade, we'll be seeing two sets of specs, before and after. Did you reinstall the OS after you migrated to the new hardware?

Oct 13, 2018
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz
Mobo: MSI B350 Tomahawk ATX AM4
Ram: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2800
SSD/HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4850
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 Series 550/650 Watt Gold
Chassis: Old one from the 90s

I did not reinstall the OS after migrating the hardware.

Original Mobo: an old Biostar, unsure of exact model
Original CPU: Installed by a friend, no markings on it, just thermal paste. Likely AMD.