Question Motherboard failure, or something else?

Mar 25, 2020
Hi,

This is my first time posting so I'm unsure if I'm in the correct thread, but here goes..

So I have a Dell XPS 8700 which was working fine until this morning where it failed to power on. I've gone through numerous YouTube videos and troubleshooting guides to test whether it's the PSU or another component but everything seems to be working fine. I've unplugged the cables from the PSU connecting to the GPU, Motherboard and the power switch itself but still nothing. When I press the self diagnostic button near the PSU there's a solid green light and the fan starts spinning but the power button still doesn't boot it up. I wondered whether it's the actual button itself that's faulty, I've seen on eBay they're being sold so I may try that but Its £60 which is alot for a pipe dream.

I rang Dell technical support and went through the same steps with them and they've said it's a motherboard failure. The only problem is because the PC is so old they don't supply any new motherboards for the PC .

Something tells me it's something different. I'm probably clutching at straws here but is there anything anyone else can think of that I can test to see if the motherboard is in fact working and it's either the PSU or power button before I give up?

Thanks for reading :)

Mar 25, 2020
What exactly happens when you press the power button?
Is it just dead or do the fans spin and you get some lights on the motherboard?
Have you cleared the CMOS?
Nothing happens at all when you press the power button. It's only when you press the Dell test button near the PSU you get the fan spinning and a few lights on. There is an orange light coming from the motherboard when it is plugged into the mains.
Yeah I changed it today with a fresh battery.

TRENDING THREADS