Question Motherboard failure?

Apr 14, 2019
I attempted to turn on my PC today, all fans were running including CPU. However there was no display (tried HDMI and Display Port) whatsoever and there was no light coming from the RGB keyboard either. I couldn't even force shut down the PC with the power button, I had to unplug it. After several re-attempts with the same result I decided to clear the CMOS by pressing down the button on the mother board. My computer successfully started and I could log in to windows, however after 2 minutes the same problem suddenly happened again, lost display, keyboard lost lighting and sd hard drive activity light was not lit at all. I unplugged the computer started it up again and seems to be working fine for now. Have been using for 30 minutes so far without any issues.
If someone could please offer advice or information on what the hell happened here or where the problem is. It sounds like a motherboard issue to me but I'd like to know should I be worried that this could happen again? Is there anything I could do to prevent this in future?

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
You could try reseating the ram, if the problem persists make sure everything is where it should be and if you aren't sure take everything out then back in. Try taking out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes then putting it back in,

Apr 14, 2019
You could try reseating the ram, if the problem persists make sure everything is where it should be and if you aren't sure take everything out then back in. Try taking out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes then putting it back in,
Thanks. Did all that but unfortunately result is the same :(

Apr 14, 2019
motherboard or power supply most likely, could also be ram. specs would be helpful.

Reseat your ram, make sure all plugs are plugged in properly, make sure your CPU cooler is firmly attached.
Yep tried all that but no joy. My specs are here https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QydDQZ. All was working fine up until this week PC is about 6 months old and there was no changes made to it recently.
Temperatures on components do not seem any different to what they were before either

Last edited:

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Do you have any other graphics cards or power supplies laying around? I had a problem with my RX570 where the monitor would sometimes turn a dark colour and then go back to normal. I swapped it with a RX460 i had and it seemed fine so I put the 570 back in the problem is gone. If you try that and it doesn't help try the same thing swapping out the power supply.

Apr 14, 2019
Do you have any other graphics cards or power supplies laying around? I had a problem with my RX570 where the monitor would sometimes turn a dark colour and then go back to normal. I swapped it with a RX460 i had and it seemed fine so I put the 570 back in the problem is gone. If you try that and it doesn't help try the same thing swapping out the power supply.
Thanks for the info. No spare graphics card or power supply but I'll ask around. I doubt it's a graphics card issue since the keyboard rgb and sd hard drive activity light don't work either when issue happens (can't even force shut down have to unplug it). I do have a spare motherboard which I will get around to trying once I get the time.

Apr 14, 2019
Changed the motherboard all working well now. Am going to send defective mother board back, it's only 7 months old. Odd how I didn't need to transfer windows license on mother board change, but not going to complain. Thanks for all the help people!