[SOLVED] Motherboard fan compatibility issue

kdonkov

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

So i've started a new build and i've pretty much picked out all my new parts. However i'm still not sure about one thing. I want to put 3x140mm front fans and 2x14mm top fans on my case (+ the additional fan at the back, so in total 6 fans). The thing is i see most motherboards have only 3 fan connectors (excluding the cpu and pump fan connectors) on them. Even after researching some build i've seen people put up to 6 fans (just like i want to do) on motherboards that say support only 3 case fan connectors. My question is how does that work and do i specifically need to look for a MB that says it has 6 fan connectors (which i can't really find) or is there something i'm missing here?
The fans i'm after are the noctua A14s and currently the TUF Gaming B550 Plus from asus is the MB i'm after because it has all the features i want but on the specifications section on the website says it only has 3 fan connectors.
What's my solution?

Solution
Hello everyone,

So i've started a new build and i've pretty much picked out all my new parts. However i'm still not sure about one thing. I want to put 3x140mm front fans and 2x14mm top fans on my case (+ the additional fan at the back, so in total 6 fans). The thing is i see most motherboards have only 3 fan connectors (excluding the cpu and pump fan connectors) on them. Even after researching some build i've seen people put up to 6 fans (just like i want to do) on motherboards that say support only 3 case fan connectors. My question is how does that work and do i specifically need to look for a MB that says it has 6 fan connectors (which i can't really find) or is there something i'm missing here?
The fans i'm after are the...
Hello everyone,

The fans i'm after are the noctua A14s and currently the TUF Gaming B550 Plus from asus is the MB i'm after because it has all the features i want but on the specifications section on the website says it only has 3 fan connectors.
What's my solution?

You can use a fan splitter cable to connect two fans to each motherboard header which will get you all 6 fans controlled by the motherboard.

The other option people use a lot (especially with low RPM large fans) is just to run the fans direct from the PSU using a sata to fan connector. The downside of this approach is the fan will be running all the time without PWM speed control, so personally I would use splitter and run them from the motherboard.

It's safe to run 2 fans off one header (don't try to run more than two off 1 header though).

Solution