Motherboard Fan Headers and Zalman 9500A Fan

JJC58

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Doing my first build. EP35-DS3P Motherboard, Intel E8400, and was planning on using Zalman 9500A CPU Fan. Ultra m998 case with front and back 120 mm fans. The Zalman 9500A has a three pin connection and I'm assuming can't be controlled by the MOBO. The MOBO has a one 4 pin CPU Fan header, one three and one four pin System fan headers, and one three pin Northbridge fan header.

Are these fan headers mostly interchangable? Also, can a three pin connection (Zalman) be used in the 4 pin CPU header on the MOBO? Any way to get the Zalman to be controlled by the motherboard?

Thanks!
Joe

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
"can a three pin connection (Zalman) be used in the 4 pin CPU header on the MOBO?" - YES. the 4 pin headers accomodate 3 pin connectors. The way to connect is made obvious by manufacturers. (so you will get the right 3 pins out of 4, don't worry"

Even with 3 pins the mobo can still control the 9500. Look around the PC health or hardware monitor section in BIOS. Or just use the fanmate that comes with 9500. I ran my cnps9500 at lowerst RPMs and it was always adequately cooling, even at 1200.

nevergive7

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I can control fan speed on my mobo GA EP45 UD3P using a 3 pin connector. I don't know if you have it in your BIOS but for me I enable SMART fan control, and change the mode from PWM to Voltage and the BIOS then controls my CPU fan according to need and tempature. Freaks me out sometimes though because the fan will shut off completely when temps get low enough.