[SOLVED] Motherboard fastening

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
My motherboard has totally 9 mountings, in 123, 123 and 123 top to bottom, now my motherboard is fastened in the first two columns, the last one towards the front intake, is not fastened, if I screw those the board flexes. Should I leave it as it is? As my dealer has left it as it is? And I have a tower cooler at the center.

If i fasten the last column the board flexes, i think the cabinet itself is not flat. the area near the middle part where the tower cooler is strong though.

Last edited:
Solution
My motherboard has totally 9 mountings, in 123, 123 and 123 top to bottom, now my motherboard is fastened in the first two columns, the last one towards the front intake, is not fastened, if I screw those the board flexes. Should I leave it as it is? As my dealer has left it as it is? And I have a tower cooler at the center.

If i fasten the last column the board flexes, i think the cabinet itself is not flat. the area near the middle part where the tower cooler is strong though.
Just leave it alone, if it flexes too much, cracks can develop. Actually only one screw is needed to provide ground between MB and case, the rest are just for mechanical retention.

Just leave it alone, if it flexes too much, cracks can develop. Actually only one screw is needed to provide ground between MB and case, the rest are just for mechanical retention.

Reactions: coolraveen
Solution

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
So in this case the cooler is supported by the middle column, and in the last near the ram slots there is no heavy parts, it's not a problem right?

So in this case the cooler is supported by the middle column, and in the last near the ram slots there is no heavy parts, it's not a problem right?

It sounds like this is a pre-built system you bought...if it is, take it back. The dealer didn't install the motherboard right. It could be missing standoffs or something is caught between the motherboard and the mounting tray. Either way, putting the missing screws in and making it flex is not a good idea...but so is leaving it free to move around like that.

Take it back to the dealer and have them make it right.

Right
Right, any CPU cooler large enough to matter has on backplate for it's load

Reactions: coolraveen

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
It sounds like this is a pre-built system you bought...if it is, take it back. The dealer didn't install the motherboard right. It could be missing standoffs or something is caught between the motherboard and the mounting tray. Either way, putting the missing screws in and making it flex is not a good idea...but so is leaving it free to move around like that.

Take it back to the dealer and have them make it right.
My doubt is the mountings in the first two columns are keeping it tight, it's not moving, just that the end mountings are not there and a small portion is bit like hanging but the motherboard is not moving either, just that I wanted to know if grounding might be an issue

Last edited:
My doubt is the mountings in the first two columns are keeping it tight, it's not moving, just that the end mountings are not there and a small portion is bit like hanging but the motherboard is not moving either, just that I wanted to know if grounding might be an issue
It shouldn't be this way, it should be fully secured at all mounting points as designed but you might be able to get by with it...still, that's not my main issue. Mine is if this thing was assembled by a shop. You paid for it...this is shoddy workmanship. You shouldn't be left worrying about this and asking questions in an online forum.

It shouldn't be this way, it should be fully secured at all mounting points as designed but you might be able to get by with it...still, that's not my main issue. Mine is if this thing was assembled by a shop. You paid for it...this is shoddy workmanship. You shouldn't be left worrying about this and asking questions in an online forum.
Who knows how long would it take. Not worth it for such small thing.

TRENDING THREADS