Motherboard Fears and Worries

Klawedflaw

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I'm currently building my computer and last night, I put the motherboard in the case without the things that make it get elevated. I also slid it a bit on a wood table. Will it still work? I was wearing the anti-static strap, so I probably didn't short it out. Nothing's plugged in on it outside of the CPU fan. I did put RAM in there and the CPU. Attempted to have the thing assembled outside the case, but the video card is too big.

Thank you for your time. I'm using an Asus H97 board if that helps.

Solution
Motherboards (outside of the cpu socket pins) are fairly forgiving with just laying the back side of it down on a flat surface (even a wood table). I often just place stuff on my plastic mat and that's about it. I'm paranoid about the cpu socket pins more than ever as I was getting ready to sell my Maximus Gene vi board and I accidentally dropped the cover and it bent/broke 2 pins off...which basically means a $220 board is junk status.

Klawedflaw

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

The case is a Mid ATX. I just thought putting things in the motherboard outside the case was a good idea. Thanks for telling me what those were for. I figured they were meant for that. Just wasn't sure. I also took a bit to realize those screws even were needed for some reason.

This is my first build...

Klawedflaw

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

No, it'll fit. What happened was that I put the card on my motherboard while putting the stuff in it and tried lifting it. The motherboard curved a bit, so I decided not to go any further. The card is only 266mm. The case supports up to 400mm.

I've messed with circuit boards before when I went on a spree of taking apart old electronic toys. I learned how fragile those can be from those old boards in old 2000's electronic toys. Thanks to this knowledge, I knew to save that thing for when I can have it placed in safely.

The case is a Fractal Design Define R4.

You MUST use the motherboard stand-offs to ensure proper grounding and that the mobo and components properly line up with the backplate and slots!

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

I Think
that he was asking from a damaging the motherboard aspect versus actually putting it in the case and attempting to use it.. simply because even visually you would be able to tell that something was wrong..the motherboard would be laying there.

Klawedflaw

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Sorry for not explaining things well. I didn't know what was what entirely. The computer is built, though and things seem to be fine. I dimly forgot to put a standoff somewhere, so there might be dis-assembly needed... I'm fine otherwise.

The board is fine, too. Thanks for the answers. Outside of not knowing what standoffs were, I was just asking if I damaged it at all with all the very mild things I did to it. I was extremely careful and handled this thing as if it was a very young puppy. In other words, I was extremely careful and gentle. Even being told this thing was Ford tough wasn't fixing my nervous feelings towards it.

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Motherboards (outside of the cpu socket pins) are fairly forgiving with just laying the back side of it down on a flat surface (even a wood table). I often just place stuff on my plastic mat and that's about it. I'm paranoid about the cpu socket pins more than ever as I was getting ready to sell my Maximus Gene vi board and I accidentally dropped the cover and it bent/broke 2 pins off...which basically means a $220 board is junk status.

Solution