Question Motherboard flashes orange when on and stays orange when off what does this mean ?

Dec 18, 2022
I just built my first pc i turned it on for the first time and it was fine everything was on nothing seemed wrong but then i noticed the orange light on the motherboard and the monitor was completely empty and didn’t even detect the hdmi connection to the pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?
Can you take a photo of the light? upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

Could it be RGB? sometimes rgb programs can leave the lights on after shutdown and it can also stop PC from booting right... its happened to me.

Dec 18, 2022
So, I just built my first pc, and it won't detect to my PC it just shows up as no display available I used different HDMI cables different monitors, but nothing seems to work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
like this?
sSPhPQM.jpg

I looked into it via some googling and it looks like that orange light right on the end of your PCIe slot is cosmetic and not something that's giving you any kind of error - in fact it's something you can disable in the BIOS if you wanted to. It's a LED that illuminates the semi-transparent PCIe retention clip. So while all I can do is recommend following standard troubleshooting procedures in finding out what's wrong, you can disregard the light.
link

Dec 18, 2022
What are full specs?

A320M motherboard - I have that from elsewhere..

Are you getting a no signal warning on monitor?
Have you checked all the pcie cables on GPU are firmly attached as that can do it
The a320m-k motherboard, 1660 ti graphics card, amd ryzen 5 5600G, 512 gb sata drive, and 600W thermaltake psu. Yes it shows my monitor shows that it doesnt detect anything when I connect it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried all the connectors on the GPU?
Are you attaching monitor to GPU and not motherboard?
Your CPU should be able to output video itself.

You could try removing gpu and using the IGPU in the CPU, with cable attached to the motherboard, and see if that shows a picture

Sorry, I am distracted this week.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
have you tried all the connectors on the GPU?
Are you attaching monitor to GPU and not motherboard?
Your CPU should be able to output video itself.

You could try removing gpu and using the IGPU in the CPU, with cable attached to the motherboard, and see if that shows a picture

Sorry, I am distracted this week.

Just tried everything you said with both monitor and tv still show 0 video it doesn't detect it at all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could be the CPU or the motherboard itself. I doubt its PSU as you should be able to get an output with just an APU.
2 different screens on 2 different outputs.

tried different cables?

Its hard to test really without a monitor.
You might need to get a repair store to look at it. See what you might have missed since its 1st time building a PC.

shame you can't flash bios without seeing screen.

Dec 18, 2022
Could be the CPU or the motherboard itself. I doubt its PSU as you should be able to get an output with just an APU.
2 different screens on 2 different outputs.

tried different cables?

Its hard to test really without a monitor.
You might need to get a repair store to look at it. See what you might have missed since its 1st time building a PC.

shame you can't flash bios without seeing screen.
Thanks for the help anyways. Too bad I live in the middle of nowhere so all the "tech repair shops" are mainly for people who cracked their iphone screen.

Dec 18, 2022
The way you have wired up GPU looks strange to me, it shouldn't have 2 cables running into it? should have an 8 pin pcie cable.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197199119@N03/52577322778/in/album-72177720304627554/

I have asked others to look as hardware isn't my strength.
It is the pcie cable it just has 2 different places to plug into not sure if its like that for other powersupplies but it is an 8-pin connector it just has 2, 8 pin connectors as seen in photo below.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2o72Zmg

Dec 18, 2022
okay. is PSU modular, are you sure its attached at other end??

I didn't think of the +2 pin connector.

is there anything on mb labelling what the orange light is for?

So you never had a display output that worked?
Found out MB light is decorative can be removed. No display ever showed up whether it was through motherboard hdmi or gpu hdmi. Not sure if theyre attached all cords come out of the PSU through side but the gpu fans do spin so I assume it is getting power. It is a non-modular PSU.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder if Motherboard has the right BIOS version to support the CPU out of box?
You need bios 6042 to use CPU. Which is the latest one...

I wonder if you need another CPU to flash the bios up to current version and then swap to it. Might need to buy a cheaper old CPU that board supports

this is CPU support list - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...320m-k/helpdesk_cpu/?model2Name=PRIME-A320M-K

you have a long list of supported CPU, from ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 5600, just hard to tell which bios is on board. the number next to each one is the BIOS version needed to run CPU

You can't flash bios without screen so no way to tell which one it has on it.

You never got any picture so we don't know.

other option is buy a Motherboard you know already supports CPU. Or get one that lets you flash BIOS without a CPU installed, I know Gigabyte X570 let you do it. Some B550 boards as well. Then you don't need a spare CPU to flash them.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
Wonder if Motherboard has the right BIOS version to support the CPU out of box?
You need bios 6042 to use CPU. Which is the latest one...

I wonder if you need another CPU to flash the bios up to current version and then swap to it. Might need to buy a cheaper old CPU that board supports

this is CPU support list - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...320m-k/helpdesk_cpu/?model2Name=PRIME-A320M-K

you have a long list of supported CPU, from ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 5600, just hard to tell which bios is on board.
You can't flash bios without screen so no way to tell which one it has on it.

You never got any picture so we don't know.

other option is buy a Motherboard you know already supports CPU. Or get one that lets you flash BIOS without a CPU installed, I know Gigabyte X570 let you do it. Some B550 boards as well. Then you don't need a spare CPU to flash them.
It has a AMD ryzen 5600G which i checked and is compatible with the board would i still need to get an older one and even then would it even fix my display issue?

Dec 18, 2022
if the problem is the bios version, then yes, a new older CPU to flash bios to latest version and then swap to right CPU could fix the display issue as its likely PC isn't actually working right with CPU until then.
Okay so my last 4 say 5602. I need a cpu that will flash it to that bios version 6042 or buy a whole new motherboard that will support my cpu by flashing without cpu? In which case which option would be cheapest for me?