Question Motherboard flashes orange when on and stays orange when off what does this mean ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 18, 2022
I just built my first pc i turned it on for the first time and it was fine everything was on nothing seemed wrong but then i noticed the orange light on the motherboard and the monitor was completely empty and didn’t even detect the hdmi connection to the pc.

Dec 18, 2022
good question. I don't even know where you are. I also don't know prices
Board supports everything up to the 3000 series now. Even my CPU. some of the old Athlon CPU are cancelled by the newest bios.

Here are the boards you could look at - https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/motherboards-with-bios-flashback.html
So what your saying is if I got an older cpu I would be able to get a display (if the bios version is the issue in the first place) I would then be able to update the bios version to the 6042 version so I could then use the CPU i originally bought? if im understanding correctly. So my second option would be to buy a whole new motherboard that would basically allow me to update the bios to 6042 without a cpu installed already. So in the end it depends on which is cheaper an older cpu or a newer motherboard. Correct me if im wrong.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So what your saying is if I got an older cpu I would be able to get a display (if the bios version is the issue in the first place) I would then be able to update the bios version to the 6042 version so I could then use the CPU i originally bought?
yes
So my second option would be to buy a whole new motherboard that would basically allow me to update the bios to 6042 without a cpu installed already.
sort of. The 2nd motherboard would have its own bios versions, but if it was one of the ones on that listing, you can flash the BIOS to latest one for that board with only the Powersupply attached. No need to buy a new CPU at all

For instance, Gigabyte X570 boards use Q Flash +

Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB
flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during
the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the QFLED will stop flashing when the BIOS
flashing is complete. Page 6 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-features.pdf

Dec 18, 2022
yes

sort of. The 2nd motherboard would have its own bios versions, but if it was one of the ones on that listing, you can flash the BIOS to latest one for that board with only the Powersupply attached. No need to buy a new CPU at all

For instance, Gigabyte X570 boards use Q Flash +

So in the end it just depends on which I would rather buy? In your opinion would a new motherboard be better if I get one I could upgrade off of? or just the old cpu to get this build going?

Dec 18, 2022
I would suggest MB as you could possibly get a better board and more benefits from it. Having a spare CPU you don't ever want to use again seems pointless.
Alright well then its decided ill order a new later when I have money cuz ong I'm just a broke 18 year old who finally started to get things I've wanted since I was a little kid anyways thanks for the help and if im back next week just know the bios was not the issue and ill be slamming my head against the wall.

Colif

Win 11 Master
don't do that.

I mean, the head against wall bit.

I am glad 20 years ago when I made 1st PC that bios versions weren't something I had to think about. You did well getting it set up. You weren't to know... You could have used something like PCPartpicker, it might have shown you needed a certain BIOS.
It did for mine - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sLbY7X
I would use it now to find new Motherboard.

first pc I made we left the sticky tape that held the heatsink fan onto the heatsink, on, when we installed CPU. The temps weren't so great until we noticed.

WE all make mistakes is what I am saying.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
don't do that.

I mean, the head against wall bit.

I am glad 20 years ago when I made 1st PC that bios versions weren't something I had to think about. You did well getting it set up. You weren't to know... You could have used something like PCPartpicker, it might have shown you needed a certain BIOS.
It did for mine - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sLbY7X
I would use it now to find new Motherboard.

first pc I made we left the sticky tape that held the heatsink fan onto the heatsink, on, when we installed CPU. The temps weren't so great until we noticed.

WE all make mistakes is what I am saying.
(update) New motherboard is coming in about a week a decent upgrade from the a320 i had and i specifically made sure it had the q-flash option.
Thank you for your help in my journey i hope you have a good life.