Motherboard for $1500-$2000 Gaming PC

Omegaguy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could suggest a motherboard that would work well in a gaming PC without the need to overclock etc? I'm fairly noobish and wouldn't be messing around much. I did have the Asus Maximus VI on my list but was told I could go with a cheaper option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Hero is a great choice, I did 20 client builds on assorted Haswell mobos before deciding on the Hero for my build (in sig), I wouldn't change it and I've done builds on many of the more expensive mobos, runs DRAM great, OCs extremely well, great sound, have a pair of 780s in SLI , no problem have also run a number of other SLI and XFire setups on it.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well we would need to know the cpu you plan on using, as different cpu's use different sockets and therefore different motherboard. Also plans for gpu and other needs as well. You state no overclock, but that really doesnt narrow down to much. If you using a haswell then you'll need an 87 board, and for z87 i would hands down recomend the asus hero for $199.99. As for 2011 boards then i think the msi gamer or the asus deluxe pro board, bot around $150-175, are also top rated. If you talking amd chipsets for the fx series then i would recomend the asus m5a99fx pro board for about $150.

Omegaguy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

I will be using a Intel i5 4670K 3.4Ghz.

fkr

Splendid
i do not think there is any need for a $200 motherboard if you are not going to be pushing componants with an overclock.

here are some other recomended boards by good online sources(includung a toms hardware rec):

rec by hardocp (great review site) $140 ASUS Z87 or the plus version for $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

these are even less

$95 ASRock Z87 PRO3 or pro4 for $100, only a single high performance graphics crad but if you are not going over a 1080p monitor that is fine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157370

if you need to pcie 3.0 slots then
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157372

you do not need that nice of a board if you are not going to be pushing extra voltage. Do not get me wrong that rog board is nice but not needed.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Hero is a great choice, I did 20 client builds on assorted Haswell mobos before deciding on the Hero for my build (in sig), I wouldn't change it and I've done builds on many of the more expensive mobos, runs DRAM great, OCs extremely well, great sound, have a pair of 780s in SLI , no problem have also run a number of other SLI and XFire setups on it.

Solution

Omegaguy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks you guys for the informative answers. I feel at a real disadvantage as I'm no expert, and want to know the best way to go. Its great to have these forums with good people such as yourselves to help us poor noobs out. Thank you.