TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm new to pc building and still looking for a mobo. My parts which I will buy are
Ryzen 7 3700x
Stock cooler (maybe later a noctua)
Rtx 2070 super (gigabyte gaming oc 3X)
Corsair 3200 mhz 16 gb
2 nvme 1 tb (maybe later another ssd 1tb)
Some case fans (starting with 3/4 max 7)
Seasonic focus gx-650/750 watt gold
Maybe some overclocking on the cpu and gpu
For the mobo I was thinking about a b450 tomahawk max or b450 gaming carbon pro ac, because I don't need the x570 options. Also, the B550 are very expensive and i am not going to upgrade my processor for the next 3/4 years (long term build)
Between the tomahawk and carbon I like the options of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and optical output and the 2 m2 slots, but it isn't a max version like the tomahawk.

Which one is the better pick?

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Jun 3, 2020
I'd go with an x570 myself, just for the fact that AMD will most likely be using that chipset for future generations of CPUs. Not to mention that the M.2 SSDs are better supported on the X570s with PCIe 4.0. I'm just waiting on my ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus to be delivered this week. From what I've researched, it is a pretty solid board. Just a heads up though, right now there is a mobo/GPU/PSU shortage so prices are a little steep with some vendors where the parts aren't simply out of stock. It looks like supplies might stabilize by late June or early July, but shipping out of China is still a problem while the human malware restrictions are still in place.

If you want to go with the B450, I'd choose the Carbon. Better options for future upgrades, in my opinion.

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
I'd go with an x570 myself, just for the fact that AMD will most likely be using that chipset for future generations of CPUs. Not to mention that the M.2 SSDs are better supported on the X570s with PCIe 4.0. I'm just waiting on my ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus to be delivered this week. From what I've researched, it is a pretty solid board. Just a heads up though, right now there is a mobo/GPU/PSU shortage so prices are a little steep with some vendors where the parts aren't simply out of stock. It looks like supplies might stabilize by late June or early July, but shipping out of China is still a problem while the human malware restrictions are still in place.

If you want to go with the B450, I'd choose the Carbon. Better options for future upgrades, in my opinion.
X570 is out of my budget. Asus tuf or gigabyte aorus elite are like 40-50% more expensive than the Carbon. Anything cheaper than those two you get thos bad msi boards or it misses options.

If he is not planing to upgrade in 4 years... all that doesn't matter.... B450 is enough.
In 4 years who knows what PCI-E ver.10 and DDR7 will be out so.. new bord is a must in 4 years.

4000 series is the last generation to use AM4 socket according to AMD timelines.

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
On Newegg there is a $30 difference in cost between the B450 MSI Pro and X570 Asus TUF.

I have the Asus TUF. It is worth the extra $30 for PCIe 4.0 and ease of 4000 series support.
Yeah thats worth it, but I live in the Netherlands. Here the b450 carbon is 145/150 euro and the tuf an aorus elite are 220/230 euro. So i dont see the 70 euro difference

Reactions: GarrettL