[SOLVED] Motherboard for 5600X

May 13, 2021
Hey there guys!
So I am looking to upgrade my 1600X that I have on a A320 motherboard ( yes I know bad quality.. ) and Im looking to upgrade to a R5 5600X on the budget chipset again. :D
Sadly CPU is already expensive so B550 would be quite expensive aswell.
Currently my 2 choices are the GIGABYTE A520 AORUS ELITE or the ASUS TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS ?
Which one would be better in your opinion ?
Thanks for the answers in advance.

Solution
Not sure how to respond to that one. No idea why the BIOS updates would be better or worse, they all come from AMD for feature changes, and then tailored to each board by the manufacturer, in addition to bug fixes the manufacturer caused or noticed. Generally all B450 boards support 5000 series, just not out of the box. And a good number of the boards support CPU-less flashing. (Including the Aorus you picked out)

You are missing quite a few features. A series has no overclocking, limited USB ports, you lose PCIe 4 on both graphics and storage, which might become a thing, and generally not as good a VRM layout.

I see many B550 boards cheaper or around the same price as the two A520 boards you have listed, just not sure I understand...
May 13, 2021
You really shouldn't. Look for some B450 motherboards before you settle on A520.
Why though ? I feel like the bios updates for 5th gen on the A520 would be way better than the older B450 which most of the boards I have access to don't have support for 5th gen at all.
I have already had a cheaper chipset and I really haven't noticed something bad with it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure how to respond to that one. No idea why the BIOS updates would be better or worse, they all come from AMD for feature changes, and then tailored to each board by the manufacturer, in addition to bug fixes the manufacturer caused or noticed. Generally all B450 boards support 5000 series, just not out of the box. And a good number of the boards support CPU-less flashing. (Including the Aorus you picked out)

You are missing quite a few features. A series has no overclocking, limited USB ports, you lose PCIe 4 on both graphics and storage, which might become a thing, and generally not as good a VRM layout.

I see many B550 boards cheaper or around the same price as the two A520 boards you have listed, just not sure I understand. I would probably pick the Gigabyte, since it is a full ATX board (another oddity) and has heatsinks on both sets of VRMs rather than just the CPU power ones.

Still, taking a cost difference of twenty dollars to get one of the nicer B550 boards. That will likely pay off in the future with newer graphics cards.

Solution
May 13, 2021

I see many B550 boards cheaper or around the same price as the two A520 boards you have listed, just not sure I understand. I would probably pick the Gigabyte, since it is a full ATX board (another oddity) and has heatsinks on both sets of VRMs rather than just the CPU power ones.

Still, taking a cost difference of twenty dollars to get one of the nicer B550 boards. That will likely pay off in the future with newer graphics cards.
I have had an A series and never really noticed any of the downsides considering I dont really overclock and these USB ports are definitely enough for me. PCIe 4 is something I was thinking about but It definitely does seem like a huge gimmick to me right now until its widely adopted. By that time new Ryzen won't be on AM4 regardless and I would've upgraded.
PC parts are priced really weirdly in my country and the only board cheaper than those 2 A520's is the cheapest MSI B550 which was not recommended to me by a lot of people and has 0 heatsinks on any VRM's.