[SOLVED] Motherboard for AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and GeForce RTX 3070

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenBeckson

Prominent
Jan 15, 2021
Hello all. I'm building myself a new rig and I already have GeForce RTX 3070 card. After some long investigation on local stores and pricing i've stopped on AMD Ryzen 5 5600X as the processor. And now I struggle the most (as always) with the motherboard as is the least thing I have decent understandings of.
Here are some of my deciding factors:
I never plan to overclock the processor
PCi 4 x 16
I don't need wifi connection
Prefer having atleast 2 x M2 sockets
I don't care how it looks
Don't want to think about overheating problems (not sure if this is even something I have to consider here as I'm not about to overclock)

And thats it. I can't think what else I should even think about. Its like I need something simple that does the job solid, not anything fancy.
Currently I've stopped on GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE

I would appreciate every advice. I don't want to overpay for something I wouldn't use neither buy something cheap that would just bottleneck my future system.
So can you help me ? And please correct me if I'm wrong on anything, I appreciate the critics. Thanks to everyone!

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
Hello all. I'm building myself a new rig and I already have GeForce RTX 3070 card. After some long investigation on local stores and pricing i've stopped on AMD Ryzen 5 5600X as the processor. And now I struggle the most (as always) with the motherboard as is the least thing I have decent understandings of.
PCi 4 x 16
Don't want to think about overheating problems (not sure if this is even something I have to consider here as I'm not about to overclock)

And thats it. I can't think what else I should even think about. Its like I need something simple that does the...
PCi 4 x 16

And thats it. I can't think what else I should even think about. Its like I need something simple that does the job solid, not anything fancy.

I would appreciate every advice. I don't want to overpay for something I wouldn't use neither buy something cheap that would just bottleneck my future system.
So can you help me ? And please correct me if I'm wrong on anything, I appreciate the critics. Thanks to everyone!
It's a good board. You can buy a B550 instead if you want to avoid that annoying tiny fan on the X570 chipset. The only real advantage X570 has over B550 is extra 4.0 lanes, with B550 you can only do 1GPU + 1 NVMe 4.0 drive. With X570, there's more 4.0 lanes so you can do more 4.0 drives. But looking at the prices and real world performance difference, I doubt a sane or non filthy rich person would go for a 4.0 drive at all lol.

If you're not OCing at all, VRMs don't really matter. Just buy a full size ATX, B550 with two M.2 slots and you'll be fine. The Aorus B550 and TUF/Strix B550 lines are good choices too

Reactions: ZenBeckson
Solution

ZenBeckson

Prominent
Jan 15, 2021
It's a good board. You can buy a B550 instead if you want to avoid that annoying tiny fan on the X570 chipset. The only real advantage X570 has over B550 is extra 4.0 lanes, with B550 you can only do 1GPU + 1 NVMe 4.0 drive. With X570, there's more 4.0 lanes so you can do more 4.0 drives. But looking at the prices and real world performance difference, I doubt a sane or non filthy rich person would go for a 4.0 drive at all lol.

If you're not OCing at all, VRMs don't really matter. Just buy a full size ATX, B550 with two M.2 slots and you'll be fine. The Aorus B550 and TUF/Strix B550 lines are good choices too
Sweet, I really thought X570 is a must. With the boards you've recommended I'm saving like 70 bucks.
Thanks for the fast response!

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Sweet, I really thought X570 is a must. With the boards you've recommended I'm saving like 70 bucks.
Thanks for the fast response!
It's really not a must. I myself have a B550 because I didn't see any good reason to buy an X570. No use of Pcie4 for me, I got 6 fan headers, wifi, 2 m.2 slots, really good VRMs all for the same price as the cheapest X570 board even available here lol. Plus, no annoying tiny whiny fan

OP, get good B550 board in 160-230$ price range and go no further. Even better if you install games on PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive then - will become handy when RTX IO will be released.

Explanation: B550 from X570 differ only with one PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot instead of two in X570 and absence of chipset fan. No chipset fan - one thing to broke less and no background whining in quiet evenings. For price difference you can afford much better B550 board with good VRM (10+2, 12+2), adequate heatsinks on VRM and chipset plus M.2 (NVMe) drive heatsinks by default.

OS loading time difference between PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives is teeny tiny negligible. In B550 board you can install OS and programs in PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive and games in PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive (with RTX IO in mind).

PCi 4 x 16

That x570 board is a solid choice...the B550 version ticks all of your boxes too. I just did a build with the Aorus Elite B550 V2 version and had no issues.

Whichever Aorus board you grab make sure to update the BIOS before putting your system together. If you do go with one of the Aorus you can update with a USB flash drive. Simply connect power to the board, download and extract the latest BIOS to a flash drive and rename it to gigabyte.bin, insert the flash drive in the USB port labeled BIOS, then press the q-Flash button on the back panel. The cpu and memory do not need to be installed to update the BIOS.

Last edited:
That x570 board is a solid choice...the B550 version ticks all of your boxes too. I just did a build with the Aorus Elite B550 V2 version and had no issues.

Whichever Aorus board you grab make sure to update the BIOS before putting your system together. If you do go with one of the Aorus you can update with a USB flash drive. Simply connect power to the board, download and extract the latest BIOS to a flash drive and rename it to gigabyte.bin, insert the flash drive in the USB port labeled BIOS, then press the q-Flash button on the back panel. The cpu and memory do not need to be installed to update the BIOS.
Also, if OP is looking for good RGB software, go to Asus or MSI. Please don't come to gigabyte, rgb fusion will make you want to smash the board. Especially with ARGB devices

OP, get good B550 board in 160-230$ price range and go no further. Even better if you install games on PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive then - will become handy when RTX IO will be released.
Big assumption that games in any volume will start investing in implementing it. Personally think that’s very unlikely for a few years, why put dev time into something only a small % of people can use. It’s hard to justify the pcie 4.0 price hike on something that may not be a thing yet. At the moment there is virtually no difference for games between a good SATA drive or NVMe 3.0/4.0. Personally I’d put the extra money into something you know will benefit the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.