Motherboard for an i7 4770k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyKnightBiel

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
I don't know a lot about motherboards, but I can't seem to find a suitable motherboard that would fit an i7 4770k. I can only find motherboards with socket LGA 1151, and it says it only is compatible with the 6th and 7th generation. My CPU is from 4th generation, isn't it? (i7 4770k), so, what motherboard would do the job? and will it be cheap?

Solution
The B85-chipset motherboard (such as the Gigabyte B85M-D3PH you linked) will physically fit the i7-4770K as both have LGA 1150 socket/pinout. However, the B85-chipsets does not support overclocking your unlocked i7-4770K, so, you won't be able to use that feature which your CPU can/is supposed to do.

The CPU (and the MB that you will choose) will work with the GTX 1050. However, the GPU is a bit on the entry-level side of the graphics power spectrum; while your CPU is a bit on the mid-high end. If your budget permits in the future, you should be looking at a GTX 1060-6GB or above GPU - which will be a better and balanced pair with the powerful i7-4770K you have.

SkyKnightBiel

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017

And will it run alright with the GTX 1050?
also, I live in Brazil and I can't find these on the local stores. I was wondering if this:
Motherboard GIGABYTE Intel LGA 1150 mATX GA-B85M-D3PH, DDR3, HDMI 4K, DVI, DualBIOS, SATA 6Gb/s , USB 3.0
would do the job

The B85-chipset motherboard (such as the Gigabyte B85M-D3PH you linked) will physically fit the i7-4770K as both have LGA 1150 socket/pinout. However, the B85-chipsets does not support overclocking your unlocked i7-4770K, so, you won't be able to use that feature which your CPU can/is supposed to do.

The CPU (and the MB that you will choose) will work with the GTX 1050. However, the GPU is a bit on the entry-level side of the graphics power spectrum; while your CPU is a bit on the mid-high end. If your budget permits in the future, you should be looking at a GTX 1060-6GB or above GPU - which will be a better and balanced pair with the powerful i7-4770K you have.

Solution

SkyKnightBiel

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017

I Had an GT635. I upgraded to the GTX 1050 recently, my budget wouldn't support the 1060 unfortunately; We have a horrible income here. I'm happy with the 1050 because it may not be a great video card, but it runs almost everything pretty well (at least the games I've been playing, like AC Syndicate).
I have another question, is the CPU already overclocked or I'd have to enable the feature myself? 'cause if I need to enable it manually, I am not using it right now.

The CPU is, by default, running in its stock speeds. You have to enable/manually overclocking the i7-4770K, if your motherboard supports it (such as using a Z87-chipset or Z97-chipset motherboard). If you use a non-OCable motherboard (such as the B85-chipset you mentioned), the i7-4770K will only run in its stock speeds.

If you are entirely sure you won't be needing such overclocking features (which you haven't done so since you had that CPU before), then the B85 motherboard will do - primarily, due to the unavailable Z87/Z97 motherboards in your location, and secondarily, the stock speeds of the i7-4770K is enough for you.

Yeah, no need to upgrade the GPU to a GTX 1060 if your budget is tight. I am merely indicating how powerful your CPU can be, such that, in case you decide on getting a better GPU in the far future (when you have enough funds for it), you don't need to change your CPU for it to be able to handle GPUs that are more powerful than the GTX 1050 you already have.

SkyKnightBiel

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017

Thanks for everything! You've been of great help. I hope we can discuss something again soon.

SDB55

Commendable
Nov 1, 2020
I have the same i7 4770k and 32GB of DDR3 ram from a Gigabyte Z87XUD5H mobo that just died.
Also looking for a compatible mobo that can use this hardware for my Hackintosh machine.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.