[SOLVED] Motherboard for i5 10400f?

Solution
I've seen a couple of threads of people worrying about the VRMs for the 10400f. Just to make sure it doesn't make much difference...
There is 4 little squares around the CPU on the Msi and 8 on the Asus. I guess those are the VRM? and more the better?
Also there are no reviews for these low end models thats why.
Feature wise these have 6 sata ports, not like other H410 chipsets there are for the same price.

Yeah those little squares are part of the VRM but more doesn't always mean better. That is determined by the quality component used and build design. Given that Asus has a heatsink covering their VRM I can only assume they're using decent components and the temps are more stable than the MSI. Though in the end this doesn't...
Go for the cheaper model, good VRM's are mainly for stability when overclocking, but since you're getting a 10400f, a lot tier CPU it won't need that much power to begin with. It should be fine going with the cheaper option, though when it comes to mobos you mainly want to observe whether or not it has all the features you need and other people's reviews (good components can be useless if the design of the board overall is idiotic - designs that can cause heating issues, etc).

nico1a5

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Go for the cheaper model, good VRM's are mainly for stability when overclocking, but since you're getting a 10400f, a lot tier CPU it won't need that much power to begin with. It should be fine going with the cheaper option, though when it comes to mobos you mainly want to observe whether or not it has all the features you need and other people's reviews (good components can be useless if the design of the board overall is idiotic - designs that can cause heating issues, etc).
I've seen a couple of threads of people worrying about the VRMs for the 10400f. Just to make sure it doesn't make much difference...
There is 4 little squares around the CPU on the Msi and 8 on the Asus. I guess those are the VRM? and more the better?
Feature wise these have 6 sata ports, not like other H410 chipsets there are for the same price.

nico1a5

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
If the asus has better VRM or cooling then it should be worth it. At least the marketing says "robust power design" and "comprehensive cooling solutions". But I dont want to buy based on better marketing 😂
Considering it also has displayport and more ram slots (I wont be using), more fan pins and 2x m2 slots just in case (apparently both run at full speed without blocking sata ports?)

Yeah those little squares are part of the VRM but more doesn't always mean better. That is determined by the quality component used and build design. Given that Asus has a heatsink covering their VRM I can only assume they're using decent components and the temps are more stable than the MSI. Though in the end this doesn't matter unless you plan to overclock your 10400f, which you can't since it's a locked CPU. MSI is known to make great overclocking mobos but mainly on their high end boards. Asus is a good all-rounder. So the choice is yours really. As I said they'll both perform fine, you can't OC that CPU so having more stability in power won't exactly benefit much though that doesn't always mean you should just get what's cheap. It can be a hard decision but in this day-and-age motherboards are pretty durable and reliable compared to the early 2000-2010s

Reactions: nico1a5
Solution