Motherboard for P4.

ms

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
chance to ask about which motherboard.

I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.

Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64

Thanks and regards,

"MS" <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
> chance to ask about which motherboard.
>
> I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
> supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
> motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.
>
> I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
> RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
> someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.
>
> Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
> Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
> Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
> Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
> Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
> Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
> Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
> Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> MS

Some of those aren't compatible with your processor. Of the ones that are,
the abit IC7 and epox EP-4PDA5+ are your best choices. As you mentioned
overclocking (don't do it, but), you should probably go for the abit IC7.
It wouldn't be a hard decision for me . . . the epox would win easily.
However, the Abit is a good value too, and they have a good reputation for
overclocking. -Dave

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

The XP2500+ is okay for some tasks,but it doesn't have SSE2
and an on chip memory controller that the Athlon 64 has. Take a
look at this review.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1

The Athlon 64 3200+ is only around $210 now for the retail box with
heatsink. The XP2500+ (or even better an XP2800+ for just a
few dollars more) is okay for a budget system for surfing the net
and basic business applications, but isn't so great compared
to the Athlon 64 3200+ for gaming, video editing, and other
more strenuous tasks.

Matt wrote:

> JK wrote:
> > The performance of the Athlon 64 chips in 32 bit is outstanding. They
> > are the best value even if someone plans to only use a 32 bit OS and
> > 32 bit software.
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton give much better price/performance. Unless I
> am wrong, of course.

ms

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Just as an aside... which motherboards come highly recommended for the
Athlon 64 3000?

Thanks,

> Just as an aside... which motherboards come highly recommended for the
> Athlon 64 3000?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MS

MSI K8T NEO -Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

The Prescott is a hot chip.

You could save quite a bit by going for an Ebay P4-2.8Ghz, in
the UK they are just £75-78 - and Northwood so run *cooler*.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Best, most stable, and highest rated by Reviewers is
the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe.

--
DaveW

"MS" <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
> chance to ask about which motherboard.
>
> I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
> supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
> motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.
>
> I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
> RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
> someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.
>
> Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
> Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
> Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
> Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
> Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
> Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
> Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
> Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> MS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"MS" <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
> chance to ask about which motherboard.
>
> I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
> supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
> motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.
>
> I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
> RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
> someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.
>
> Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
> Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
> Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
> Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
> Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
> Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
> Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
> Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> MS
These people are all missing the point here...

You already got a prescott cpu.
Would've been better to get a northwood.
But if you want a good board, get either MSI or Gigabyte with Dual Bios.
Dual bios can be very nice, but you might not know that intill something
goes wrong.
I cant think right, I'm a bit drunk.

Denny. ;-)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:04 GMT, MS
<matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
>chance to ask about which motherboard.
>
>I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
>supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
>motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I've used a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000g with that processor with good
results, the "pro" version should be just as good.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:04 GMT, MS
<matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote:

>Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41

This is a rock solid mb and is a very good price. The G model has one
extra SATA port and LAN. If you don't need that then just get the
stock IC7. And as others have said, get a Northwood cpu instead of
Prescott.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:27:22 GMT, MS
<matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote:

>The PC will be running XP Pro and its most 'demanding' role will be doing
>video editing and associated tasks. Wouldn't the P4 be better at doing this?

Yes.

Steve Pearce wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:04 GMT, MS
> <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
> >chance to ask about which motherboard.
> >
> >I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
> >supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
> >motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.
> >

> I've used a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000g with that processor with good
> results, the "pro" version should be just as good.

I have just built using Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 from a computer fair. This
board is slightly better, using 875P chipset instead of 865P. But all
Gigabytes are nice and stable and well documented. However, there is a fix
around I've read about, where you can have PAT (Intel's Performance
Acceleration Technology) which effectively makes the 865P into the 875P.
This board was inexpensive £87, but minor point is that IDE is ATA100
not ATA 133, although the board has two SATA ports which makes the ATA100
a non issue.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:27:23 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>MSI K8T NEO -Dave

VIA? Not in this house.

"maggot" <maggot@no.email> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:27:23 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>

> >MSI K8T NEO -Dave
> >

> VIA? Not in this house.

Why? You got something against incredibly high 3DMark scores in an
extremely stable system? -Dave

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:38:28 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>Why? You got something against incredibly high 3DMark scores in an
>extremely stable system? -Dave

Bad history with VIA, That's how you lose customers. Anandtech
recommends the Epox 8KDA3+ which is Nforce3 250gb chipset.

"Dave C." wrote:

> "maggot" <maggot@no.email> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:27:23 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
> >

> > >MSI K8T NEO -Dave
> > >

> > VIA? Not in this house.
>
> Why? You got something against incredibly high 3DMark scores in an
> extremely stable system? -Dave

The small intrinsic speed differences between motherboards means that
manufacturers can sometimes get an edge by fsb trickery. See e.g.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040712/i865-i875-mobos-44.html#trickery_afoot

JK wrote:

> The XP2500+ is okay for some tasks,but it doesn't have SSE2
> and an on chip memory controller that the Athlon 64 has. Take a
> look at this review.
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1
>
> The Athlon 64 3200+ is only around $210 now for the retail box with
> heatsink.

I don't think this review has much to say about the Athlon 64 3200+
or the socket 754 processors. In fact it says:

"As a result, almost since its launch, enthusiasts have been waiting
for Socket 939 to bring dual channel memory to the Athlon 64 line..."

A P4/800 system e.g. Northwood can already use dual channel memory.

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

The dual channel of the P4 is relatively slow though since the
memory controller is not on the chip. Look at the actual benchmarks
comparing the two. The article has benchmarks for both socket
754 and socket 939 Athlon 64 chips.

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

> JK wrote:
> >
> > The XP2500+ is okay for some tasks,but it doesn't have SSE2
> > and an on chip memory controller that the Athlon 64 has. Take a
> > look at this review.
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1
> >
> > The Athlon 64 3200+ is only around $210 now for the retail box with
> > heatsink.
>
> I don't think this review has much to say about the Athlon 64 3200+
> or the socket 754 processors. In fact it says:
>
> "As a result, almost since its launch, enthusiasts have been waiting
> for Socket 939 to bring dual channel memory to the Athlon 64 line..."
>
> A P4/800 system e.g. Northwood can already use dual channel memory.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:38:28 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>>> MSI K8T NEO -Dave
>>
>> VIA? Not in this house.
>
> Why? You got something against incredibly high 3DMark scores
> in an extremely stable system? -Dave

VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.

AMD is often very unstable. Very bad reputation. (were you deliberately
trying to sound like an idiot?) -Dave

jk

"Dave C." wrote:

> > VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
> >

> AMD is often very unstable.

Do you have any statistical evidence of that? I doubt that you
could provide any.One can build an ustable system with an Intel
processor or with an AMD processor if they don't know what they
are doing.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:11:05 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

> > VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
> >

> AMD is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
> (were you deliberately trying to sound like an idiot?) -Dave

No idiot. Only know things.

Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:11:05 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>
>> > VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
>> >

>> AMD is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
>> (were you deliberately trying to sound like an idiot?) -Dave
>
>No idiot. Only know things.

Oooh, can i read your paper on the subject? How large was your sample?

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:11:05 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>> VIA is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
>

> AMD is often very unstable. Very bad reputation.
> (were you deliberately trying to sound like an idiot?) -Dave

No idiot. Only know things.
And never use AMD processors.