Question Motherboard for Phenom II x4 925

x-orbiter

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
I have recently obtained a Phenom II x4 925 at a bargain price. I want to make a modest, but usable secondary build out of some parts I have and this CPU. I do not want to spend too much money and buy a lot of extra parts. I have some DDR2 modules, an HDD and a case, so I might go with an used AM2/AM2+ board, or purchase an AM3 board with DDR3 memory.
My question is do I really need to buy an AM3 motherboard plus memory, or will this CPU work fine with a more dated AM2 motherboard and DDR2 memory? What motherboard model will be enough to run it at 3.0-3.1 GHz without performance bottlenecks?

With DDR2 memory, already weak processor performance will be severely hampered. As there's no Black edition, any OC is limited to FSB so you have to be careful to limit PCI and to 100 MHz and lower memory speed, all of which severely limits OC. Those processors were rejects from 965BE series.

x-orbiter

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
I looked up performance comparison of DDR2 vs DDR3 for Phenom II X4 on Youtube and it seems to be about 10-15%, but in some graphics benchmarks it is not even noticeable. I believe that L3 cache somewhat levels that out to some degree. As for FSB OC it needs 20% boost to get memory back to 800MHz.