Motherboard for QA8Z CPU

ilya_ca

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, I've purchased an engineering sample on ebay. The model is QA8Z (Intel): http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QA/QA8Z.html
The problem is that it won't work with my motherboard - Intel S2600CP4 - I'm not getting a video signal.

The seller recommended me getting ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS instead. However I need the machine for virtualization. Is ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS good for virtualization? I've seen another similar model - ASUS Z9PE-D16. Is there a lot of difference? The D16 model is positioned as a server motherboard, however D8 is a workstation. Which one is better for virualization (I'll be using vSphere)?

Is there a reason for my CPU to work on Z9PE-D8 WS and not to work on Z9PE-D16? As far as I understand, it has been tested on D8, but not on D16.

Thank you in advance!

check that you have the latests bios for that mb. the mb now might not have the cpu code needed to post. also any mb may not post with test cpu as there code is not the same as a final cpu. also right now there no way to tell if the cpu you got is a working one or that it been fried.

ilya_ca

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
But if the seller is saying that the CPU should be working on Z9PE-D8 WS there is no reason for it not to work on Z9PE-D16?

ilya_ca

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

Will the D8 motherboard have the same performance as D16 given that I'll be using only 8 slots of ram and two NICs?