Question Motherboard for Ryzen 3400g APU?

Nov 3, 2019
I am looking to build a new PC before the end of the year based around the Ryzen 3400g APU, but I am struggling to work out which motherboard will suit my needs.

My current PC is an always-on tower HTPC in my living room which has lasted 10 years, so I would generally rate build quality, consistency and running relatively cool without a built-in fan as priorities. The two complications are that I would need it to support dual monitors (it will be connected to both a TV and a monitor simultaneously) using the built-in graphics, and have sufficient firmware support for the 3400g without requiring an older AM4 chip (I am hesitant about loading firmware to a motherboard via a USB stick too, which I know may increase my options). Being in a tower case, I would generally prefer an ATX motherboard although that's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

Whilst looking around online stores, the only motherboards advertised as shipping with firmware supporting 3rd gen Ryzen chips out of the box seem to be MSI's B450 Max range, but people online often seem to have negative views on MSI's build quality and BIOS relative to other manufacturers. Any help you could offer would be gratefully received.

You options are B450 MAX, or get AMD to loan you a CPU. that is basically your only options. Asrock does have 1 B450 board that is Ryzen 3k supported out of the box, but it is not a good board.
I have an MSI board and have no issues with this model. I have thrown 3 difference CPUs in it, and no issues with any.

Nov 3, 2019
You options are B450 MAX, or get AMD to loan you a CPU. that is basically your only options. Asrock does have 1 B450 board that is Ryzen 3k supported out of the box, but it is not a good board.
I have an MSI board and have no issues with this model. I have thrown 3 difference CPUs in it, and no issues with any.
Thanks for the reply. I had assumed, 4 months after the release of the latest mid-range and budget Ryzen processors, that there would be a greater range of compatible motherboards. Instead, it seems like there's only MSI's B450s (with the non-Max boards being the only ones which support upgrading the BIOS without a CPU) which have definite Ryzen 3rd gen support.

So, with your MSI board, have you used it with two displays using an APU?

TRENDING THREADS