Question Motherboard For Ryzen 3xxx

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, I am no way going to get a motherboard with a whining fan, so the x570 is out.

I thought well no problem I'll just use an x470 or b450 (I have a b450 bought and can still return it).

Well.... if I am reading correctly, to use a b450 or x470 for ryzen 3xxx, you must ALREADY HAVE a previous ryzen cpu set up with it in order to update the BIOS???

I am strongly considering backing out of selling my 2700x and just going ahead and building and forgetting that I am missing out on 3xxx.

I am already so tired of waiting for them to release the new cpus and it now confirmed none will be out before July... I sure don't want to wait even LONGER for b450 and x470 mobos on the market to have the latest firmware. Even the 2700x was already going to be overkill for my usage. Maybe I should cancel the sale and pretend 3700x won't exist?

Note: If I do build with 3700x, I'd almost surely be out close to $200 extra, as well. So deal with the hassle and pay $200 just to know I got the better hardware or keep what I have, save the money, still have more than I need.

Reactions: spacejunk
Lets look at the flip side. 3xxx comes out, benchmarks reflect a staggering performance difference, and you regret not waiting a bit longer and spending the same money on something better. Some people over here will say that waiting is not viable as you will keep waiting forever, but that is when you do not have an ETA. Buying a current gen. so close to the launch of the following gen. is not really recommended.
And the real hurt will come 5yrs down the line when the 2700x wont cut it any more and you realize that with a bit of perseverance of another month or so, could have saved you the hassle of an upgrade for a year or two.
That's only my opinion though.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Lets look at the flip side. 3xxx comes out, benchmarks reflect a staggering performance difference, and you regret not waiting a bit longer and spending the same money on something better. Some people over here will say that waiting is not viable as you will keep waiting forever, but that is when you do not have an ETA. Buying a current gen. so close to the launch of the following gen. is not really recommended.
And the real hurt will come 5yrs down the line when the 2700x wont cut it any more and you realize that with a bit of perseverance of another month or so, could have saved you the hassle of an upgrade for a year or two.
That's only my opinion though.
I won't be spending the same because I already have the 2700x. I just haven't opened it. I am about to sell it (just haven't taken the money yet or given it up). So if I sell it and get the 3700x I'll be out about $80-$100 more on the cpu and then I also already have a b450 that can be returned and I got at a great price. If I decide to go x570, I'd be out likely another $80 there as well.

I'd really rather have a 4xx mobo, but then read that you have to already have a cpu in it to flash the BIOS or w/e. If my only option is an x570 with high pitched fan, I mean I have gone to EXTREME lengths here to have a quiet build. Selling a case I bought where I can get a quieter one, decided to use no hdds and instead use 2 ssds to cut out noise, etc.... I sure don't want to ruin that with the x570 fan. And IF some x570 mobos don't have a fan it will likely mean huge cost and asus is the only mobo manufacturer I trust and theirs seem to have fdans.

May 25, 2019
I won't be spending the same because I already have the 2700x. I just haven't opened it. I am about to sell it (just haven't taken the money yet or given it up). So if I sell it and get the 3700x I'll be out about $80-$100 more on the cpu and then I also already have a b450 that can be returned and I got at a great price. If I decide to go x570, I'd be out likely another $80 there as well.

I'd really rather have a 4xx mobo, but then read that you have to already have a cpu in it to flash the BIOS or w/e. If my only option is an x570 with high pitched fan, I mean I have gone to EXTREME lengths here to have a quiet build. Selling a case I bought where I can get a quieter one, decided to use no hdds and instead use 2 ssds to cut out noise, etc.... I sure don't want to ruin that with the x570 fan. And IF some x570 mobos don't have a fan it will likely mean huge cost and asus is the only mobo manufacturer I trust and theirs seem to have fdans.

Have you ever considered a noise cancelling Case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/case...ampened?ckMin=4499&ckMax=9638&ckTab=0&sSort=2 heres what I found they are designed to noise cancel noisy fan builds it doesn't matter if it's noisy on the inside as long as it isn't on the outside

although have you ever considered wearing noise cancelling headphones they block out most noise

besides personally I don't want a noise cancelling case because if something goes wrong with my pc like a fan is mis-aligned i can hear it and i'll immediately know something wrong where as having the sound cancelled on what my pc is up to is like turning a deaf ear to any problems that may arise

I suppose if you do get a case... at least get one where you can see inside so you can at least keep an eye on it if you need to... me I can't stand visual disturbances I'm the sort of guy who can be immersed in games or a tv programme if theres even a gap of light coming through the curtain (I have no filter on what I visually process)

so having glowy lights in the corner of my eye would be a nono unless I had long enough cords to have my pc behind me!

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Have you ever considered a noise cancelling Case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/case...ampened?ckMin=4499&ckMax=9638&ckTab=0&sSort=2 heres what I found they are designed to noise cancel noisy fan builds it doesn't matter if it's noisy on the inside as long as it isn't on the outside

although have you ever considered wearing noise cancelling headphones they block out most noise

besides personally I don't want a noise cancelling case because if something goes wrong with my pc like a fan is mis-aligned i can hear it and i'll immediately know something wrong where as having the sound cancelled on what my pc is up to is like turning a deaf ear to any problems that may arise

I suppose if you do get a case... at least get one where you can see inside so you can at least keep an eye on it if you need to... me I can't stand visual disturbances I'm the sort of guy who can be immersed in games or a tv programme if theres even a gap of light coming through the curtain (I have no filter on what I visually process)
I'm getting one soon, but I just doubt it will be enough because what people are saying is that the small fans that mobos have (which they haven't had in many years...) have a more high pitch whine to them than case fans have and I'd be beyond mad if I have a noise issue after all the lengths I've gone to avoid that, and spend hundreds more to switch to a build that is noisier, as well.

So I don't know. this is a tough decision. If I wait until next week for the official announcement I will have to have either already shipped off my 2700x or cancel it and nobody pay as much again.

May 25, 2019
Yeah know what you mean

I've got an old acer aspire m3802 case but last year i replaced everything inside got myself an ASUS PRIME A320M-K motherboard and a Ryzen 2200G with vega graphics and was using an old HD7750 with power just to the fans to keep everything on my motherboard cool, some 24GB of DDR4 RAM and they were enough....

But I had to upgrade to an actual running gpu and got myself an MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOUR 8GB and is Pre-OverClocked
Now it seemed to be as silent as it boasted with a sticker on the fan saying Stay Silent Play hard and alot more bragging about it's super silent propeller design)

but I noticed when ever i'm in a taxing game (which is most of the time) when the temperature of the gpu start getting hotter the fan revs up to 1750mhz...

now they aren't wrong there was no buzzing noises that was so quit I hardly notice but when you spin a fan at high RPM it cuts through the air and cutting through air makes the woosh noise (for the lack of a more technical term)

but at a super high RPM when playing visually demanding games at 4k that woosh turns from the sound of a woosh to the sound of a miniature motorway cause it sounds like wheels rolling on tarmac at high speed!

the fact is the cooler the better things run and the more they can push to their limits i'm actually considering so I don't have to get an extra fan and my gpu's fans don't have to work so hard I might get a liquid cooling system or something!

*I actually came across this thread for some reason I am getting static in my front panel headphone jack everytime I do something like scrolling since I installed the new GPU, I think it's cause for the past few months

I had a happy accident bug where the jack thought it was the AMD audio drivers for HDMI rather than the Realtek drivers which meant no such interference happened... but when I uninstalled all AMD software to install the drivers for the new GPU

I think it realised and so I was getting a constant buzz in the left channel any time sound played regardless of what headset it was I had to re-fix it to AMD again cause Realtek driver is completely broken and that fixed that but then the interference came so I can't use the front panel at all and am having to use the back panel (just glad I got a long audio splitter for my headset so I can still use my mic when I plug that in!)

Last edited:

Well in that case, you should stick to what you got. Thats still some pretty good hardware for the money.

May 25, 2019
I'm also waiting for a new apu Vega 8 sucks in comparison to the gpu it's got a 15% bottneck when using hybrid, I jhave a friend who knows someone at AMD and they was told that is a Vega 12 APU coming in June

but those specs that leaked online said the new 3000 series Ryzen 5 APU would have Vega 11 so that means theres 2 possibilites:
1.The person at AMD was lying or told misinformation to avoid leaking!
or
2. There is a Vega 12 and the next step up from Ryen CPU's from 5 is 7 which leads me to believe if there is a Vega 12 APU it will be a Ryzen 7 apu likely to be called something like the Ryzen 7 3600G APU with Vega 12.

If it's true they've been keeping it relatively hush
I mean you look at the leaked benchmark specs for the Ryzen 5 3400G with Vega 11
and you'd be better off having a 2600x cause the 3000 series don't look that good apart from only being 35W.

so I'm hoping the rumors are true I would like a Ryzen 7 APU cause then I can better utilise Hybrid graphics if not I'll make do with a 2600x cpu

since my gpu is pretty powerful anyway 8GB GDDR5 256-bit Memory-DVI with up to 1366 MHz core-clocks it doesn't joke around I'm still reeling and I havent finished cycling through games I still got Dauntless, Black Desert Remastered

and Star Citizen which is the main reason I got this card my apu's graphics could only manage 9fps in Area 18 which is the main skyline of the planet ArcCorp which essentially Coruscant and planet entirely made out of city my cpu power and everything else seemed enough but I lacked the gpu power to play at a decent framerate if I can play well at 1080p i'm gonna try and graduate to 1440p 2K then 2160P 4K

but most other games i've managed to run at a 4k resolution now!
I just wonder why the MSI RX580 ARMOUR OC 8GB has been dropped from a price of £450 on average to a mere £170 by most retailers cause the GPU is much more powerful than anything i've ever experience directly it apparently is on par with a gtx 1060!

if I told myself 2 years ago that by now i'd have such a powerful rig I never would of believed it but I suppose it's due tot he fact theres more powerful hardware now so having a rig this powerful is becoming more mainstream and normal which means access to powerful computers for even those who struggle is becoming commonplace.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Yeah know what you mean

I've got an old acer aspire m3802 case but last year i replaced everything inside got myself an ASUS PRIME A320M-K motherboard and a Ryzen 2200G with vega graphics and was using an old HD7750 with power just to the fans to keep everything on my motherboard cool, some 24GB of DDR4 RAM and they were enough....

But I had to upgrade to an actual running gpu and got myself an MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOUR 8GB and is Pre-OverClocked
Now it seemed to be as silent as it boasted with a sticker on the fan saying Stay Silent Play hard and alot more bragging about it's super silent propeller design)

but I noticed when ever i'm in a taxing game (which is most of the time) when the temperature of the gpu start getting hotter the fan revs up to 1750mhz...

now they aren't wrong there was no buzzing noises that was so quit I hardly notice but when you spin a fan at high RPM it cuts through the air and cutting through air makes the woosh noise (for the lack of a more technical term)

but at a super high RPM when playing visually demanding games at 4k that woosh turns from the sound of a woosh to the sound of a miniature motorway cause it sounds like wheels rolling on tarmac at high speed!

the fact is the cooler the better things run and the more they can push to their limits i'm actually considering so I don't have to get an extra fan and my gpu's fans don't have to work so hard I might get a liquid cooling system or something!

*I actually came across this thread for some reason I am getting static in my front panel headphone jack everytime I do something like scrolling since I installed the new GPU, I think it's cause for the past few months

I had a happy accident bug where the jack thought it was the AMD audio drivers for HDMI rather than the Realtek drivers which meant no such interference happened... but when I uninstalled all AMD software to install the drivers for the new GPU

I think it realised and so I was getting a constant buzz in the left channel any time sound played regardless of what headset it was I had to re-fix it to AMD again cause Realtek driver is completely broken and that fixed that but then the interference came so I can't use the front panel at all and am having to use the back panel (just glad I got a long audio splitter for my headset so I can still use my mic when I plug that in!)
yeah and I have never built before and certainly don't know just how bad the fan on a mobo would sound, so this sucks because I have to decide extremely quickly what to do, since I have to ship my cpu soon if I don't back out.

I originally had a msi armor rx 580, didn't open it, someone said for a particular program nvidia is better, I sold it, got another card, then the newest version of the software apparently works better with amd. lol.

Anyway, I have been buying parts for literally years without building, so I keep selling them back off for newer parts and it's a big problem.

Well in that case, you should stick to what you got. Thats still some pretty good hardware for the money.
I don't know. I flat can't decide. If the leak about the cpu that's above the 3700x is true, where it benched THREE times that of the 2700x, it makes me assume the 3700x would be 2 times that of the 2700x, and it would be worth a couple hundred extra dollars. So I don't know... but I must decide soon where I don't finalize the sale on the 2700x and lose money for nothing.

Firstly, I wouldn't be forming any rash opinions about the fan on the X570 chipset just yet. Apparently it's only needed in certain operating modes...and that seems to be when using PCIe gen 4 NVME in RAID configurations. This is according to a couple of people who can't disclose much more than that (Buildzoid and Steve at GamersNexus). Definitely reviews will tell us more, but I imagine the fan will be off about 95% of the time... maybe even 100% if you don't run a few NVME's in RAID off the X570.

Also, several motherboards (today) can be updated even without a processor...MSI's X470/B450 line has a lot of them. I think Asus' lines have them too. These are also pretty darn good motherboards so you can easily find a winner in the mix if you look. So you can update the BIOS, pop in the 3000 CPU and get right to work.

And you might be right about the pricing but you really have to wait until we see them hit the stores to see how it all works out.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Firstly, I wouldn't be forming any rash opinions about the fan on the X570 chipset just yet. Apparently it's only needed in certain operating modes...and that seems to be when using PCIe gen 4 NVME in RAID configurations. This is according to a couple of people who can't disclose much more than that (Buildzoid and Steve at GamersNexus). Definitely reviews will tell us more, but I imagine the fan will be off about 95% of the time... maybe even 100% if you don't run a few NVME's in RAID off the X570.

Also, several motherboards (today) can be updated even without a processor...MSI's X470/B450 line has a lot of them. I think Asus' lines have them too. These are also pretty darn good motherboards so you can easily find a winner in the mix if you look. So you can update the BIOS, pop in the 3000 CPU and get right to work.

And you might be right about the pricing but you really have to wait until we see them hit the stores to see how it all works out.
Thanks. Hopefully it all pans out how they say.

I have an asus mobo currently, the b450-i, but no idea if their mobos allow updating or not. I saw on reddit where they seem to be saying any mobos need a cpu to update.

What sucks now is the guy keeps not paying for the cpu I am selling, so I bet he will back out, then I won't get as much for it ever again, which means even more money out to get the newer one. Also, it had been confirmed that the new stuff won't release before july, which also sucks because my current pc is about to fall apart. It keeps locking up almost every day. I'm trying to crawl my way to the new build on this junk pc.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I just don't know anymore. I had this all planned out and that stupid fan on the x570 has thrown me for a loop not knowing what to do. I see where someone else commented on another site that he's skipping this generation because of it. I am not going to upgrade mine for many years so I can't slip 1 or 2 generations... would be skipping more, so have to be more sure I am happy on the front end.

I don't need the x570. The problem is there would be now ay to know if a new b450 or x470 would have the BIOS ready for it or not.

May 25, 2019
I think your confused i'm fully aware of 3700x but thats a cpu not an apu no one knows for sure if the leaked information about the ryzen 3 3200g and ryzen 5 3400g was even real as amd neither confirmed nor denied the leak as for a ryzen 7 apu

all I was told is a small leak told from a friend then to me (which I can't say for certain is true as I havent known my friend long and he could just be pulling my leg)

3700X though is the Ryzen 7 CPU as only cpu's have an X at the end,
Where as apu's have a G at the end so if the cpu version is 3700X I am waiting to see if there will be a 3700G APU with built in Vega 12 graphics it may not perform as well as a 3700x in the cpu area but the extra gpu power is a help and as long as it's above 4Ghz i'll be happy to do the upgrade (if I have enough money left).

The AMD keynote is gonna be at Computex on Tomorrow and will likely be streamed on Youtube and Twitch....
I think you should wait to see what new hardware is announced at computex as AMD aren't the only ones gonna be there.

as for the x570 specs they've apparently been leaked according to HW news on Gamers Nexus

Link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfXPj_StLuY

Also NVidea is under fire of a direct lawsuit by a sub-sidiary of Xperi Corp (that licences intellectual property) regarding patent infringement for the use of their capacitors if this goes south NVIDEA might be set back in money and with Intel chips facing Vulnerabilities in their architecture for hacking of softwares...

AMD has new architecture since AM4 and being the only competitor that isn't getting sued in the gpu market
it's possible that this is AMD's opportune moment to shine above their CPU and GPU competitors all they need is a new piece of hardware that's gonna put them on top preferably a new GPU that blows whatever NVidea has out of the water...

after all they already beat intel's top processor with the new hardware announced at the last AMD keynote in January so now everyone is looking to amd for processors in the business market it's only a matter of time before they begin to dominate the gaming market...

I used to have an intel build with just an amd gpu so when the time came for an upgrade I saw the potential of AM4 and what it mean't for amd and their users... my friends scoffed because most NVIDEA hardware is better but I didn't care this wasn't me holding to team red cause I liked it....

It was because I had the foresight to see what is coming AMD are catching up and sooner or later they are gonna be the best on the market it's more a matter of when than if!

and after mess ups with extortionate prices based on merely marketing real time ray tracing (that nvidea wasn't really the first to create it's not really as new as people think) then this new law suit it's only a matter of time people start wondering if NVIDEA has lost it's competence and then what

cause AMD clearly knows what they are doing ever since the current CEO has been in charge and it's clear that she doesn't mess around!

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
shadow, I assume you deleted your post because you realized I'm not talking about an apu, but as far as waiting to see what is said in the next day or two, I about have no choice, anyway, as the buyer hasn't paid for my cpu still. I may end up about forced to just keep the 2700x because this sell may fall through and then value will go down as the new ones come out.

May 25, 2019
your assumption is incorrect I realised I sort of created a seperate subject about gpu fans when you was talking about cooling so I tried to address that then continued on with cpu subject in a seperate reply when comments returned to the threads original subject,

I guess addressed something that was off topic and more of a side note when you said

"I'd really rather have a 4xx mobo, but then read that you have to already have a cpu in it to flash the BIOS or w/e. If my only option is an x570 with high pitched fan, I mean I have gone to EXTREME lengths here to have a quiet build. Selling a case I bought where I can get a quieter one, decided to use no hdds and instead use 2 ssds to cut out noise, etc.... I sure don't want to ruin that with the x570 fan. And IF some x570 mobos don't have a fan it will likely mean huge cost and asus is the only mobo manufacturer I trust and theirs seem to have fans."

surprisingly amd's new chipset flagship MoBoard for the PCI e supporting more cores will be done by the manufacturer BIOSTAR....

again i'm sorry if i'm addressing things in a confusing order i'm trying to have myself diagnosed for fibromyalgia, i've found since January it's affecting my thinking aswell i'm a smart guy but it's affecting my ability to form coherent thoughts and even more on my mental processing of information so while I do usually know what i'm talking about some of the things thats been priorly said between us gets muddled and sometimes forgotten all together...

I had to quit games design because of this and I plan to go into computer science instead once I am recieving something like neuro-therapy for both the physical pain and the mental struggle... sometimes i'm their and other times I can't process a simple sentence it's... complicated!

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
No problem at all about any of the order. Was just being sure you know I wasn't talking about an apu, myself. I already have a gpu and the 3700x is what I am wanting if I don't use the 2700x.

That sucks. I am having physical issues causing me big trouble in creating apps. I don't know what ill do if it gets worse. Mostly a pinched nerve, shoulder issue, and and headaches. Lately, not too bad, but I am working barely any hours at a time... Your situation is tougher than mine, but just saying I know how it is for pain to affect computer work and it sucks.

May 25, 2019
yeah basically the main issue is my brains pain receptors are processing physical sensations lie touching cold metal as searing pain like an electric shock in my nerves so it's making difficult cause obviously cold metal, computers and electric shocks go hand in hand and it's no good if I can't tell the difference between a real shock and the sensation of cold metal...

I want to start a technology business with my dad and create a web series where we travel and fix computers up for people upgrading their hardware and giving them knowledge on their hardware in a digestible way!

we also plan to make money in merchandising for the program but first I need to study and to do that I need to get treated to avoid another relapse I'm just hoping it is fibromyalgia and not MS aswell although if untreated fibromyalgia can shorten the lifespan too so it's just as dangerous

so I might have a more limited time to leave my mark on the world and if I am gonna help advance something it's gonna be technology and science I may even create a device thats more cheaper and operable by General Practitioners (regular Doc)to get fibromyalgia diagnosed without the need for a specialist to operate it!

What sucks now is the guy keeps not paying for the cpu I am selling, so I bet he will back out, then I won't get as much for it ever again, which means even more money out to get the newer one. Also, it had been confirmed that the new stuff won't release before july, which also sucks because my current pc is about to fall apart. It keeps locking up almost every day. I'm trying to crawl my way to the new build on this junk pc.

It sounds like you have a 2700x CPU in-hand, as well as the B450-i ASUS motherboard. If it were me I'd build-out the system with those components and use them. You are right that people are hesitant to buy 2000-series CPU's right now as they are being increasingly discounted to clear stocks for Ryzen 3000. And when it comes out, 3000 processors will be top-dog and prices are not gonna fall very fast. They may even be priced at a premium above SRP and stay that way for a while. Possibly until Intel comes out with a processor that can beat it without posing a security threat to your privacy and data.

That doesn't mean the 2700x you have won't be relevant: it will still be the back-bone of a terrific performing system. By the time an equal-performing 3000 series processor falls into a price range of 'affordable' your motherboard will certainly have BIOS support for it and you'll have updated to it.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
It sounds like you have a 2700x CPU in-hand, as well as the B450-i ASUS motherboard. If it were me I'd build-out the system with those components and use them. You are right that people are hesitant to buy 2000-series CPU's right now as they are being increasingly discounted to clear stocks for Ryzen 3000. And when it comes out, 3000 processors will be top-dog and prices are not gonna fall very fast. They may even be priced above at a premium above SRP, and stay that way a while. Possibly until Intel comes out with a processor that can beat it without posing a security threat to your privacy and data.

That doesn't mean the 2700x you have won't be relevant: it will still be the back-bone of a terrific performing system. By the time an equal-performing 3000 series processor falls into a price range of 'affordable' your motherboard will certainly have BIOS support for it and you'll have updated to it.

and that's without considering that some of the 3000 series ryzens will be using 12nm architecture and the faster 7nm architecture isn't that far away it's coming in 2020 in the new 4000 series not sure if thats apu's or cpu's though

so you gotta consider that rather than years now technology is advancing so quick that literally 7 or 8 months later the next cpu and apu's are available due to amd really pushing their advancements rather than annually they are getting faster than that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 5000 series or a new line to replace ryzen before 2021

I am glad I chose amd cause of that security flaw in intel architecture they are gonna have to make new ones aswell but new architecture means new problems which means AMD already is a step or 2 ahead in that process as the mobo will mean they have ironed out the kinks that they've had with am4!

where as intel tried to make apu's and couldn't get half the performance with their architecture...

as for nvidea I wont doubt them yet they are just as driven as amd

and as long as there is competition then business is good as the real winner here is the consumer as it's the driving force for new faster better technologies that will push gaming and computing to new heights these people don't really hate each-other it's just showmanship "oh they made that and it's better than ours then I guess i'll have to show you this" and it goes in a cycle...

if there wasn't a competitor I doubt the technologies at amd and nvdea would have gotten as advanced as they have without the other constantly pushing them to do better!

and that's without considering that some of the 3000 series ryzens will be using 12nm architecture and the faster 7nm architecture isn't that far away it's coming in 2020 in the new 4000 series not sure if thats apu's or cpu's though

That's the Ryzen with Graphics processor, or APU. As far as I know, all the Ryzen 3000 CPU's (not Ryzen with Graphics/APU's) use 'chiplet' modules with one (maybe two!) 7nm CPU chiplet and one 14 nm I/O chiplet. The I/O chiplet could be 12nm, actually, I'm to lazy to research and it really doesn't matter since it's all rumors and speculation at this point. We'll find out all in just a few more hours!

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I was strongly considering doing that (building with what I have), but now he paid, so if I don't back out myself I might as well build with the 3xxx. But I may have a long wait if I am not comfortable with the x570 and thus have to wait for newly updated b450 or x470 boards.

Someone told me that SOME mobo brands do have ability to update BIOS without a cpu. Anyone know about asus ones?

Also, I got a great deal on that asus b450, but would have to just return it and wait for an updated one. :(

Shadow, that sounds like a good idea as far as the traveling to fix pcs and educate etc... I've never built so took me forever to learn what I currently know, and I am still a bit worried.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
This gets messier every minute. the person who paid is listed as a different name than the name listed at the address to send to. but the paypal transaction says safe to ship, verified address, and eligible for seller protection. HOWEVER, the fine print tells ways buyers can still scam you without you being eligible.

If amd announces a retail price for the 3700x at $400+ I may just cancel this out, get a shipping refund, and use the 2700x.

And now I can't decide whether to spend $147 (after tax) on a 1tb Samsung t5. I am leaning towards not getting it since I don't yet need it and it will probably go even lower by the time I do...

I can't ever relax. Always all of these decisions to make...

Someone told me that SOME mobo brands do have ability to update BIOS without a cpu. Anyone know about asus ones?

MSI definitely has the feature...they call it BIOS Flashback...on most of their X470/B450 lineup. And as it stands MSI nailed it this time with very strong motherboards in every category so you won't go wrong getting one, if you can.

I read where one person claimed Asus has this feature on his board but it's not widely advertised on their web site so it may be on limited offerings. At any rate, except for the very high-end enthusiast X470 boards, Asus boards have pretty weak VRM's. To be sure they'll run any 2000 CPU...un-overclocked...well enough, but you can't tell with a 12 core/24 thread Ryzen 3000.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
MSI definitely has the feature...they call it BIOS Flashback...on most of their X470/B450 lineup. And as it stands MSI nailed it this time with very strong motherboards in every category so you won't go wrong getting one, if you can.

I read where one person claimed Asus has this feature on his board but it's not widely advertised on their web site so it may be on limited offerings. At any rate, except for the very high-end enthusiast X470 boards, Asus boards have pretty weak VRM's. To be sure they'll run any 2000 CPU...un-overclocked...well enough, but you can't tell with a 12 core/24 thread Ryzen 3000.
The asus b450 I got is ranked at the high mid-range level as far as VRM. I ALMOST got the x470-f, which is ranked as high end, but for that one a second ssd would only run at 3.0x2, whereas on the b450 one it runs at 3.0x4, but gimps the gpu to x8 (which most say doesn't matter much).

Anyway, I can still return it, but the reason i was avoiding msi is I had read that they weren't usually as good with the VRM, ie they were listed as less phases or w/e. I am not going to OC, but that still worried me. I did see that their b450 line is rated as the best of the best for b450.

Oh also most msi ones had lower quality audio, I think, as well as the issues with running a second ssd at a good speed, i am thinking.

Btw, I forgot to mention... my current pc was so messed up earlier today that I got so close to kicking it as hard as I could and I badly wanted to pick it up and slam it against the wall. THAT is how bad it occasionally gets lately, s I can't wait long. I personally think it's stupid windows 10 causing it. Usually when it freezes up it says some "fetch" is causing it. And this all started a month or two ago, so it can't be that the parts are just obsolete, as that wouldn't have suddenly caused it to get this bad, rather than gradually.

One time during the day it will take me 3 seconds to do something that another time of the day will take literally 10 MINUTES! I was pressing ctr alt del over and over with the task manager not coming up for many mins and nothing was working, etc... Then eventually many mins later it works.

The asus b450 I got is ranked at the high mid-range level as far as VRM. I ALMOST got the x470-f, which is ranked as high end, but for that one a second ssd would only run at 3.0x2, whereas on the b450 one it runs at 3.0x4, but gimps the gpu to x8 (which most say doesn't matter much).

Anyway, I can still return it, but the reason i was avoiding msi is I had read that they weren't usually as good with the VRM, ie they were listed as less phases or w/e. I am not going to OC, but that still worried me. I did see that their b450 line is rated as the best of the best for b450.

Oh also most msi ones had lower quality audio, I think, as well as the issues with running a second ssd at a good speed, i am thinking.

Btw, I forgot to mention... my current pc was so messed up earlier today that I got so close to kicking it as hard as I could and I badly wanted to pick it up and slam it against the wall. THAT is how bad it occasionally gets lately, s I can't wait long. I personally think it's stupid windows 10 causing it. Usually when it freezes up it says some "fetch" is causing it. And this all started a month or two ago, so it can't be that the parts are just obsolete, as that wouldn't have suddenly caused it to get this bad, rather than gradually.

One time during the day it will take me 3 seconds to do something that another time of the day will take literally 10 MINUTES! I was pressing ctr alt del over and over with the task manager not coming up for many mins and nothing was working, etc... Then eventually many mins later it works.

If I'm not mistaken you have an Asus B450-i? If so, that's their mini-ITX board and if I recall it does have a very good VRM section that features power stages, with drivers, hi-side and lo-side FET's all integrated in one package, and is very cool running. They do that because mini-ITX is a dense packaged board that will run hot with CPU, GPU and VRM's all closely arranged and crammed into (usually tiny) cases that feature limited airflow. A mini-ITX build, done right, usually requires expert-level build skills. And even then frequently means buying hardware twice when something doesn't fit or work optimally.

At any rate, since it's packaged so densely it needs those superior (and expensive) VRM components just to perform as competently as discrete (and cheaper) components can on an m-ATX or ATX board in a normal case with normal airflow.

MSI's audio CODEC's are the same chipsets as those used on any other boards. If you have a strong need for superior audio you'll either have to buy an enthusiast-class full size ATX board OR, the smarter choice, a third-party audio card you can move with you to the next computer.