Question Motherboard For Ryzen 3xxx

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, I am no way going to get a motherboard with a whining fan, so the x570 is out.

I thought well no problem I'll just use an x470 or b450 (I have a b450 bought and can still return it).

Well.... if I am reading correctly, to use a b450 or x470 for ryzen 3xxx, you must ALREADY HAVE a previous ryzen cpu set up with it in order to update the BIOS???

I am strongly considering backing out of selling my 2700x and just going ahead and building and forgetting that I am missing out on 3xxx.

I am already so tired of waiting for them to release the new cpus and it now confirmed none will be out before July... I sure don't want to wait even LONGER for b450 and x470 mobos on the market to have the latest firmware. Even the 2700x was already going to be overkill for my usage. Maybe I should cancel the sale and pretend 3700x won't exist?

Note: If I do build with 3700x, I'd almost surely be out close to $200 extra, as well. So deal with the hassle and pay $200 just to know I got the better hardware or keep what I have, save the money, still have more than I need.

Reactions: spacejunk

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
If I'm not mistaken you have an Asus B450-i? If so, that's their mini-ITX board and if I recall it does have a very good VRM section that features power stages, with drivers, hi-side and lo-side FET's all integrated in one package, and is very cool running. They do that because mini-ITX is a dense packaged board that will run hot with CPU, GPU and VRM's all closely arranged and crammed into (usually tiny) cases that feature limited airflow. A mini-ITX build, done right, usually requires expert-level build skills. And even then frequently means buying hardware twice when something doesn't fit or work optimally.

At any rate, since it's packaged so densely it needs those superior (and expensive) VRM components just to perform as competently as discrete (and cheaper) components can on an m-ATX or ATX board in a normal case with normal airflow.

MSI's audio CODEC's are the same chipsets as those used on any other boards. If you have a strong need for superior audio you'll either have to buy an enthusiast-class full size ATX board OR, the smarter choice, a third-party audio card you can move with you to the next computer.
The audio is different on them. Some have ALC8XX and some have ALC12XX. The msi ones I saw all had the 800 level and the asus has the 1200 level. Also even then there are differences, as people said they had popping sounds with asrock boards, whereas reviews mentioned how great the audio is on the asus.

I am technically using a matx case if I keep an itx mobo because the only itx case I lied was the Nano S and it blocks a fan on gpus, so I was too scared to get it, even though I don't OC or use a gpu much.

I'm not sure what I am going to do now. The leaks were hilariously wrong. It was looking like the 3700x would be 100% better benches, where now it looks like the 3700x will only be close to even with the 9700k, which in turn is only barely over 10% faster than the 2700x.

The audio is different on them. Some have ALC8XX and some have ALC12XX. The msi ones I saw all had the 800 level and the asus has the 1200 level. Also even then there are differences, as people said they had popping sounds with asrock boards, whereas reviews mentioned how great the audio is on the asus.

I am technically using a matx case if I keep an itx mobo because the only itx case I lied was the Nano S and it blocks a fan on gpus, so I was too scared to get it, even though I don't OC or use a gpu much.

I'm not sure what I am going to do now. The leaks were hilariously wrong. It was looking like the 3700x would be 100% better benches, where now it looks like the 3700x will only be close to even with the 9700k, which in turn is only barely over 10% faster than the 2700x.
Leaks are leaks...sketchy details with speculation and analysis to fill it in. All in all I'd say it's surprisingly close, only thing missing is 5Ghz and 16 core part. But we do have to wait for the first reviews...especially the independent reviews where they're free to turn the screws and test overclock limits. That's when the enthusiasts get really worked up!

Even so, if the 3700X beating IPC with the best of Intel, and at much lower power consumption and heat output, isn't enough for you then check out a 3800X and beat the best Intel can do with all the cores/threads they put into a mainstream processor.

And if even that isn't enough then get the 3900X and beat - put to shame - an Intel HEDT processor that costs over three times more and needs it's own circuit breaker to power.

There's a new top dog in the pound now.

Again, and as I said, if audio is important to you get an add-in card and never fret about it again.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Leaks are leaks...sketchy details with speculation and analysis to fill it in. All in all I'd say it's surprisingly close, only thing missing is 5Ghz and 16 core part. But we do have to wait for the first reviews...especially the independent reviews where they're free to turn the screws and test overclock limits. That's when the enthusiasts get really worked up!

Even so, if the 3700X beating IPC with the best of Intel, and at much lower power consumption and heat output, isn't enough for you then check out a 3800X and beat the best Intel can do with all the cores/threads they put into a mainstream processor.

And if even that isn't enough then get the 3900X and beat - put to shame - an Intel HEDT processor that costs over three times more and needs it's own circuit breaker to power.

There's a new top dog in the pound now.

Again, and as I said, if audio is important to you get an add-in card and never fret about it again.
Not going to spend hundreds for an add-in card or hundreds more for the better cpus. There's a difference between spending hundreds extra and getting the mobo with the better included audio without spending a dime more than mobos from other manufacturers with worse audio. I didn't say I was determined to get best audio, I said best audio that the mobo comes with.

Also, the 3700x will not beat the best intel. It's said to be even with the 9700k, not even the 9900k. And that's amd talking, so it's odd people assume it's fact when it's just the chip manufacturer saying it.

For people who already have a ryzen, they can wait for reviews and see., I don't have that luxury. I have to know by tomorrow whether to ship my 2700x or cancel the order. And I'm already worried it's a scammer because even though he has thousands of transactions with a 100% positive rating, the payer name is different than the ship to name and he is paying the same price it costs at big retailers, so either it's just to save him tax or it's some scam.

The bottom line here is even the 3800x is likely about 20% faster than the 2700x and would cost me almost $300 extra to get. If anyone ahs the choice today of a 2700x or pay $300 more to get the 3700x, you think many will do it? I'm kind of doubting it. The average person looking to buy today only has to pay a little more, me I'd have to pay much much more due to losses in fees and shipping to send off my current cpu I had.

So that's my choice... keep what I have for $0 and it's still brand new part or spend $200-$300 for the latest tech and have a loud fan on the mobo. So common sense tells me keep what I have, but I am still tempted for the latest tech just because I waited this long to build.

I don't see how you can say the "only" surprise was that it doesn't reach 5ghz, though. It has 8 cores instead of 12 and they had claimed a 16 core one tripled performance of 2700x, which would mean the 12 core should be doubling the 2700x.... so the 3700x is going to be 80% slower than the leak implied.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
All I can say is just make a choice and go for it.

Have a great computing life!
I'm just stating what I see as facts. If I'm wrong, then simply show me where I'm wrong.

Did you see the motherboard prices? Even entry level are supposed to be around $200 and one of gigabyte's mobos is expected to be freakin $600. This feels like extreme cost to just gain 10-20% in benches and get pcie 4 support, which nobody needs (and will be supported on older mobos, too).

I don't have long to figure out what to do. Like I said, I figured after waiting this long I should get the newer tech, but even if the buyer of my cpu turns out not to be a scammer, I still lose $100 between that one and the 3700x and people are telling me you shouldn't buy the 3700x because the 3800x will be much better.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I probably should still sell the 2700x, because worse case scenario I get the 3700x and use the same mobo choice I would have used for 2700x, and then I am out only about $100 extra. But some think the 3700x is a bad deal and the 3800x would be much better.

I have no need (just as almost nobody does) for pcie 4, but the overall higher bandwidth and extra lanes would be nice because I could have both nvme ssds and a gpu all run at full speeds together.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I'm honestly back to thinking about an intel build, since the amd is no longer going to have a value edge. the 9900k with a very good z390 is on sale right now for $650. The 3800x (which you have to go up to in order to supposedly equal the 9900k) and an equally good motherboard will cost..... yep $650. So you get the headaches with RAM compatibility and inferior single core performance for the same price.

That all being said, I only have like 2 days to decide whether to return my b450i motherboard. Since I don't have a cpu (sold my 2700x for a good price, contrary to what someone said in here), I probably should return this mobo, which sucks since I got such a good price. Buying a cpu to update the BIOS or getting an amd boot kit is a big hassle.

Tough to decide which way to go, but I have to decide very quickly.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hello? I only have like a day left, I think, to decide whether or not to return my latest mobo.

Anyone have an idea on how soon after a cpu release they typically start having the older mobos already in stores with the newest BIOS on them? Asus already told the ryzen 3 compatible BIOS versions for each mobo way back in April, but I wonder if they already trickled into stores? So dumb that manufacturers don't tell BIOS versions on the box.

And now on another site's forums someone said they'd never buy an asus mobo again because asus "already dropped support for amd". What are they talking about? People already call asrock a "budget brand", say msi ahs dropped way off, that gigabyte sucks, etc... so what's even left then?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
get the one X570 board that has no fans :) Arous Extreme like me and cough up the doh~ so long as its not more expensive than the listed $600 that Ive seen online :/
Nah. It's not worth it to me to even spend $200 for a mobo and nobody really needs pcie 4, anyway. Plus like I said people complain about gigabyte quite often.

I'm still not understanding why people are so excited, though, that now amd is no longer a value pick. They're right there with intel prices one everything, including mobos.

Well, still trying to decide what to do... I guess I'll have no real choice but return this mobo, though, since I am not even convinced I can get an itx build to work AND I don't have a cpu for updating BIOS.

I assume if I link to my build on pcpartpickler, someone would at least know if I'd be ok dimension-wise on an itx build, though?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
This situation really sucks now. Apparently asus's MID-range x570s will be around $350. And people are hilariously giving excuses for it. In other words, amd fanboys have become worse than intel ones now. It's sad that people can't be truthful, whether it be their brand or not. they're like "the TUF one will be $160 so the prices are fine". Umm yeah and the TUF line is not good.

Anyway so what now? I'm not paying over $200 for a mobo. No way. The jump ffom 2xxx to 3xxx cpu is not enough of a jump tow arrant spending what a x570 costs. So now the decision I have to make is whether to go to intel, instead, or go to the trouble of figuring out if a b450 or x470 is already updated to the right BIOS version.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hello? Man, I am so undecided here and I already started the process of returning my b450-i, but haven't dropped it off at UPS yet.

Bottom line... should I return the good deal $1250 b450-i or wait for x570 to decide?

I mean… people are making FUN of the TUF x570, which will STILL be around $200 and is being called crap. So if the low end x570 are so made fun of, maybe I should keep the cheap b450...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: drea.drechsler

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
If you're worried about getting a 400 series motherboard that may or may not have a BIOS that will support Ryzen 3k, get one that supports BIOS flashback. This lets you update the BIOS without requiring a compatible CPU to be installed.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
The mobo I have doesn't have that, but it is confirmed it will support ryzen 3. So i'd just have to do the annoying amd boot kit request or buy an older cpu, update, and return (which I don't think is so nice, but people on another site seriously mocked me and got me banned for saying it wouldn't be ideal to do that lol).

So deciding if it's worth the hassle or if I should get an x570. But that just seems too expensive when nobody really needs pcie 4.

Do you remember which brands do have BIOS flashback, though? So stupid that not all brands have it. You'd think they'd all comprehend how good it would be to be able to update without a cpu.

....You'd think they'd all comprehend how good it would be to be able to update without a cpu.

It's not really been that big of a deal previously since either new generation CPU's worked in many instances, although with impaired capability until BIOS is updated, or they just made you replace the motherboard for an all-new socket or chipset. The second is the favorite for Intel with it's monopoly market presence.

TJHooker posted a link to all the motherboards with BIOS update capability.

Have you confirmed AMD will provide boot-kits for Ryzen 3XXX upgrade purchasers too?

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
It's not really been that big of a deal previously since either new generation CPU's worked in many instances, although with impaired capability until BIOS is updated, or they just made you replace the motherboard for an all-new socket or chipset. The second is the favorite for Intel with it's monopoly market presence.

TJHooker posted a link to all the motherboards with BIOS update capability.

Have you confirmed AMD will provide boot-kits for Ryzen 3XXX upgrade purchasers too?
Ah, thanks to him and you for pointing it out, as I didn't see that link before.

I am very tempted by the MSI GAMING PRO CARBON AC B450, as the specs seem to be saying that you can run 1 gpu at x16 (I won't sue more than 1) AND both m2 ssds at 3.0x4, seems to have good enough audio... although I think my one I already have and am returning has better still, and can be BIOS updated.

How does the flash button updating work? Also, has msi even confirmed they'll work with ryzen 3? I saw articles a while back seeming to say people were worried msi would not let them work with it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
as the specs seem to be saying that you can run 1 gpu at x16 (I won't sue more than 1) AND both m2 ssds at 3.0x4
There is no AM4 motherboard out right now that can run a x16 card + two PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs all at full bandwidth. In the case of the Pro Carbon, the 2nd SSD runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds.

How does the flash button updating work? Also, has msi even confirmed they'll work with ryzen 3? I saw articles a while back seeming to say people were worried msi would not let them work with it.
Page 45 of the manual explains. A BIOS update is a BIOS update, I don't see how or why the fact that a given update may add support for new CPUs would make any difference. So long as that motherboard receives a BIOS update for Ryzen 3K you should be able to use flashback to update.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
There is no AM4 motherboard out right now that can run a x16 card + two PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs all at full bandwidth. In the case of the Pro Carbon, the 2nd SSD runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds.

Page 45 of the manual explains. A BIOS update is a BIOS update, I don't see how or why the fact that a given update may add support for new CPUs would make any difference. So long as that motherboard receives a BIOS update for Ryzen 3K you should be able to use flashback to update.
yeah, just realized I overlooked that it says pcie2.0x4 for one of them.

Sigh. what a conundrum here...

The msi has flashback and gpu would be at x16, but one ssd at 2.0x4.

The asus board I bought and am likely returning handles both ssds at 3.0x4, then gimps gpu to x8 and DOESN'T have flashback.

The x570s will handle both at 3.0x4 and the gpu at x16, but cost more than DOUBLE the cost AND have those annoying chipset fans.

My point on the MSI was that rumors and articles said they may not even "make" a BIOS update for ryzen 3 on their old boards. Also, still not sure how you do the flashback update.
If you go to the msi support site for the board you will probably find a bios supporting Ryzen 3000 chips. Those rumors about msi not supporting was fake news cleared up well before computex.

The manual has detailed instructions for using flashback

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
If you go to the msi support site for the board you will probably find a bios supporting Ryzen 3000 chips. Those rumors about msi not supporting was fake news cleared up well before computex.

The manual has detailed instructions for using flashback
ok cool, thanks. I will look at the manual. Just was being sure before I return this other mobo that flashback isn't something really complicated that I will run into an issue on.

ok here is my situation, then. I have a 970 pro and an inland premium. I see that 2.0x4 max speed is about 2GB/s. That is above the write speed limitation of the inland premium. So the 2.0x4 would only affect read speed of the inland. But that is my backup and storage drive. My programs and whatnot would still be on the 3.0x4 one.

So given all of that, do you think I should should get the msi and have the easier path to ryzen 3 and gpu at x16 or keep the asus, have full 3.0x4 on both ssds, gimp the gpu to x8, and buy an old cpu to update the BIOS?

Very odd, too, that the m2_1 slot is the one limited to 2.0x4! I sure hope theye is no issue using m2_2 as the boot drive or their decision would be flat idiotic to limit your boot drive to 2.0x4 instead of the other slot.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Some say don't ever buy msi ebcaue it doesn't have voltage offsets. So that means even when using the built in boost, ie no manual OCing, I am going to be gimping my cpu on any msi mobo? That seems mighty dumb of msi, if true, that their whole brand would be subpar on performance.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Really need to be careful who you're listening too... MSI boards have had offset since Feb or Mar BIOS updates. And they are quite good at PBO overclocking...

Here... check out a knowledgeable source...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8zdprzEjI&t=1479s
Thanks. Was that I was reading old posts on reddit I guess. Also, a review said the msi mobo is not good for getting good RAM performance, but I noticed in the BIOS updates that 1. one of thems aid it improves RAM compatibility and 2. indeed they have already done an update to let ryzen 3 work on it.

So I think I am going to ship off my asus tomorrow and then very likely will get that pro carbon b450. may wait temprarily to see if it goes on sale, but since some stores, such as amazon, don't even have it available via first party seller, I have a feeling I better not wait long, just in case they are stopping manufacturing it.

But don't you think they'd keep pumping out the b450s since the b550 is so far off?

So now the ONLY down side to the msi for me personally is the 2.0x4 second ssd speed, but you'v have to be moving mighty huge sets of files to notice that.

Can anyone confirm that your boot drive can be from m2_2? Surely they wouldn't make it where there's no way to boot from a ssd in 3.0x4?