Question Motherboard For Ryzen 3xxx

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, I am no way going to get a motherboard with a whining fan, so the x570 is out.

I thought well no problem I'll just use an x470 or b450 (I have a b450 bought and can still return it).

Well.... if I am reading correctly, to use a b450 or x470 for ryzen 3xxx, you must ALREADY HAVE a previous ryzen cpu set up with it in order to update the BIOS???

I am strongly considering backing out of selling my 2700x and just going ahead and building and forgetting that I am missing out on 3xxx.

I am already so tired of waiting for them to release the new cpus and it now confirmed none will be out before July... I sure don't want to wait even LONGER for b450 and x470 mobos on the market to have the latest firmware. Even the 2700x was already going to be overkill for my usage. Maybe I should cancel the sale and pretend 3700x won't exist?

Note: If I do build with 3700x, I'd almost surely be out close to $200 extra, as well. So deal with the hassle and pay $200 just to know I got the better hardware or keep what I have, save the money, still have more than I need.

Reactions: spacejunk

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Wow. ALl this time waiting and then the accidentally published german review shows amd fanbioys were wrong again and it's well below intel in about everything, (even the 3900x is). Now I don't know what in the world to do. I obviously can't go back to 2700x as the waiting would have been a waste, as would the money loss having sold it. But with the 9900k still better than the amds, it makes me wonder again if I should just go intel. Notice, too, that the 3900x is only much better bench than the 3700x in ONE thing they tested.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Looks like they go up for sale in a little over 8 hours form now... I about have to buy one and then can return if I want intel instead. Trying to think of a plan to quickly know where to buy it... If b&h ahs it I'll get it there for the no tax, otherwise, I can either use my Newegg gift cards, but then be out tax, or I could re-activate my amazon prime to get 5% back in points there... Not many places you can get one without tax, though. If best buy or Walmart has them I could do the raise deal for money off on gift cards.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
What a JOKE. told you all this would happen. Newegg already sold out of the 3700x and 3900x before I realized they were for sale and they don't have the 3800x listed. And that's the one store where I have hundreds in gift cards Meanwhile people said the mobos would be what ells out and they're ins tock there. lol.

I believed that 9AM EST claim, but I guess Newegg must have added them at midnight PT.

Now I've got to decide whether to wait who knows how many days or weeks where I can do a Newegg combo or get the cpu or I have to spend actual money full out for one fork another store, when I have $260+ in newgg gift cards. And if I don't use those on the cpu, all I have left I could get from newegg is a case and monitor.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I get stressed way too easily. Anyway I got my orcer in for the 3900x at b&h with no tax and used a card with 3% back, so $485. For some reason they don't get it in for 5 more days... but IO won't have my mobo belore then anyway.

Now it gives me time to think as to whether I'd rather have the 3700x and save that almost $200.

It's also available at BB. Still OOS at newegg, but 3700x came back in there.

edit: oops sorry, didn't realize how many posts I did in a row. And ps now I am already worrying I made a bad choice because a review said the included cooler may not be good enough for the 3900x. I don't want to get an aftermarket cooler and I also don't want to go down to an 8 core cpu because then it barely beats what I already bought (2700x). A bench in one review shows in multithreaded testing that the 3700x is only 20% above the 2700x, but the 3900x is around 70% faster.

Last edited:
I get stressed way too easily. ...

You're sounding like a Walmart shopper at a Black Friday sales counter. OF COURSE things will go out-of-stock on day one, then come back in stock as warehouse quantities are getting replenished. The difference is on Black Friday's sales floor qty's are general all that you get and here there IS a warehouse and a pipeline shoveling more processors into it all the time.

Reviews are coming in about where I expected. I never expected R3K to take the IPC crown just what seems to have happened: Intel's advantage has been reduced to functional irrelevancy except in benchmarks.

And even then I really do keep in mind that games are overwhelmingly coded to take prohibitive advantage from Intel's architecture. That's what Intel meant by saying their software group is one of their pillars of excellence: as long as they can continue "assisting" the game and gaming engine developers, Intel's products will also continue to lead in gaming benchmarks.

But in productivity/content creation useages: AMD has taken the crown back. I think we have to wait and see if the competition can pivot their product stack to put competitive processors (in both performance and price) against the R3K stack like they did with R1K. But in the mean time, it looks bad for Intel.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
You're sounding like a Walmart shopper at a Black Friday sales counter. OF COURSE things will go out-of-stock on day one, then come back in stock as warehouse quantities are getting replenished. The difference is on Black Friday's sales floor qty's are general all that you get and here there IS a warehouse and a pipeline shoveling more processors into it all the time.

Reviews are coming in about where I expected. I never expected R3K to take the IPC crown just what seems to have happened: Intel's advantage has been reduced to a point where it doesn't matter except in benchmarks.

And even then I really do keep in mind that games are overwhelmingly coded to take prohibitive advantage from Intel's architecture. That's what Intel meant by saying their software group is one of their pillars of excellence: as long as they can continue "assisting" the game and gaming engine developers, Intel's products will also continue to lead in gaming benchmarks.

But in productivity/content creation useages: AMD has taken the crown back. I think we have to wait and see if the competition can pivot their product stack to put competitive processors (in both performance and price) against the R3K stack like they did with R1K. But in the mean time, it looks bad for Intel.
see above post's edit for my latest worry. lol.

Btw, surprisingly, my mobo already shipped... TWO WEEKS before it was supposed to, so I am going to have it before the cpu now.

i wish microcenter would ship... They have the asus x570-f for only $160 when you buy a cpu with it! I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get an x570. I better decide soon. The re is an msi one for $210 (I think the edge one?), but it ahs the Realtek wireless. The pro carbon x570 is $260.... so $50 more just for better wifi and Bluetooth, but not sure if it's better VRM too?

i wish microcenter would ship...
How does the microcenter web store make sales if they don't ship? I've never tried to buy from them, just the local B&M store.

Do they ship only to a local store for pickup there? I think I understand (now) why some people take Microcenter vaca's. An overnight trip to the nearest one, buying a bunch of stuff for themselves and friends in the process usually.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
How does the microcenter web store make sales if they don't ship? I've never tried to buy from them, just the local B&M store.

Do they ship only to a local store for pickup there? I think I understand (now) why some people take Microcenter vaca's. An overnight trip to the nearest one, buying a bunch of stuff for themselves and friends in the process usually.
They ship some items and not others. For cpus and a lot of mobos they will only let you order for pickup in store. So since there is not one anywhere near me, I can't get many parts. I did buy a ssd through them.... and they don't charge me tax. But these great combo deals I can't get.

of course if I DID have a MC near me, then I'd be having to pay tax. So what i wish is there'd still not be one near me, but that they'd start allowing shipping on all parts. :)

What people have said is their crazy low prices get people in the stores and then they figure they'll be able to convince them to buy more parts while there.

Just curious... IF I DO get an aftermarket cooer, what is a good enough one? Maybe if I could get a good deal on one I would do it, but I really don't want to. Surely amd wouldn't put a cooler that isn't good enough for stock performance, though... as they might as well give none at all in that case.

So my good news for today is I got it for $50 less by not paying tax... bad news is it's apparently not shipping for 5 days , cooler not good enough, and I have to see those great MC deals and quite good newegg ones that I can't get.

Just curious... IF I DO get an aftermarket cooer, what is a good enough one?
From everything I've heard and experienced with my 1700, the stock cooler is perfectly sufficient for stock performance of Ryzen processors. It's even adequate for mild overclocking... and even pushing it a little bit if you don't mind the noise as it picks up fan speed.

But personally, I prefer the absolute quiet a liquid cooler offers in all operating regimes. Using an air cooler is also a lot easier when balancing case air flow since you don't have to be as careful with matching fan profiles.

Preferably a 240mm AIO or bigger since there are quite a few available now. Some non-RGB models cost-compare quite favorably with air coolers, especially considering many cases don't come with quiet fans that are essential to provide balanced airflow for the CPU and GPU fan's to work well without spinning up. You'd have to buy two or three such fans, adding $20 to $60 to the cost of an air CPU cooler option. A 240 or 360 mm liquid cooler comes with two or three quiet fans included in the price.

Last edited:
Btw, surprisingly, my mobo already shipped... TWO WEEKS before it was supposed to, so I am going to have it before the cpu now.

Have you checked out this from MSI?

https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

A full-release BIOS hasn't shown up for several of MSI's B450 boards... including the Pro Carbon AC. You have to use a beta in the interim. Hopefully they release it by the time your kit is fully assembled.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Have you checked out this from MSI?

https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

A full-release BIOS hasn't shown up for several of MSI's B450 boards... including the Pro Carbon AC. You have to use a beta in the interim. Hopefully they release it by the time your kit is fully assembled.
Thanks. I hadn't read it, but had noticed comments here and there mentioning something about msi using a beta. This is still one big headache. And now I see multiple articles stating that the stock cooler is plenty good enough for the 3900x if you don't do much of an overclock, but one review says it's plenty quiet enough and I saw someone mentioning a cooler for 2xxx as being too loud.... and I assume these are the same coolers. Would suck if it's loud when I went to all this trouble getting ssds and not using hdds to cut down on noise, as well as put my case up for sale and buying a soundproofed one.

Also, I wonder if you HAVE TO do the flash updating with no cpu, gpu, etc... connected? I'd rather install everything then press the button, where electricity wouldn't have flowed through before I put parts in. People act like I am over-worrying on that, but search it and article after article says electricity stays flowing through there up to weeks after unplugging a pc.

4uvak91

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hi, I'm considering to get 3700x but RAM and mobo is the issue. I was considering asus C7H, but it's still too expensive. I heard also 32GB(2x16GB) may have some issues, with dual rank. So What mobo do you suggest for around ~200€ with flashback and PBO support and little overclock for 3700x, that will also support future CPUs maybe? And what for RAM, is single rank must....I've been looking for Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3200 CL16 kit, it's dual rank.

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Why would there be issues with 32gb 2x 16gig sticks? All the 3000 CPUs are dual channel. The only Mobo that uses topology and not Daisy chain pathing for memory is ASRock. Topology runs better with 4 sticks of ram but it really shouldn't matter much with these new mobos and CPUs either way.

Hi, I'm considering to get 3700x but RAM and mobo is the issue. I was considering asus C7H, but it's still too expensive. I heard also 32GB(2x16GB) may have some issues, with dual rank. So What mobo do you suggest for around ~200€ with flashback and PBO support and little overclock for 3700x, that will also support future CPUs maybe? And what for RAM, is single rank must....I've been looking for Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3200 CL16 kit, it's dual rank.

4uvak91

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Why would there be issues with 32gb 2x 16gig sticks? All the 3000 CPUs are dual channel. The only Mobo that uses topology and not Daisy chain pathing for memory is ASRock. Topology runs better with 4 sticks of ram but it really shouldn't matter much with these new mobos and CPUs either way.
I'm not buying new x570, that's why i'm asking x470 or other ~200€ daisy chain mobo + 3700x + 32GB 3200Mhz CL16 combo. There is many threads, like this https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/788240-buying-ryzen-confused-about-ram-read-here/ I know it's old, but still...

Also, I wonder if you HAVE TO do the flash updating with no cpu, gpu, etc... connected? I'd rather install everything then press the button, where ...

Flash-Back feature works even with board fully populated. It's benefit extends beyond the initial flash-upload of a supporting BIOS for your CPU: it's also a really nice insurance policy should any BIOS update in the future get corrupted.

I have whatever Wraithe comes stock on the R7-1700. That fan is perfectly quiet in normal operation. It can get a bit loud if I turn it up to max speed, but that offered no cooling benefit if I did. I think those who complain just don't know how to dial in an effective fan profile in BIOS and run it wide-open all the time.

LOL... looks like you're right re: 3900X chips! Even my Microcenter -- in a region filled with Intel fan-boys and a sales staff hard-lock biased in favor Intel's product line, mind you -- is down to only 2 left in initial stock!

The next couple weeks will be telling, though, if demand stays up there as re-stocks come through.

I'm concerned MSI's gonna kill themselves with crap beta BIOS' on their X470 and B450 boards. I'd wait until a released one is available. And they better be quick about that too.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
LOL... looks like you're right re: 3900X chips! Even my Microcenter -- in a region filled with Intel fan-boys and a sales staff hard-lock biased in favor Intel's product line, mind you -- is down to only 2 left in initial stock!

The next couple weeks will be telling, though, if demand stays up there as re-stocks come through.

I'm concerned MSI's gonna kill themselves with crap beta BIOS' on their X470 and B450 boards. I'd wait until a released one is available. And they better be quick about that too.
yeah dumb that they didn't have a non-beta ready, unless it was something on amd's end, ie waiting too late to give msi some needed info or cpu to test or something.

Well, at elast everyone seems to be charging MSRP for them so far... I was worried they'd price gouge like stores did for gpus and 8th gen intels. Also, what's up with AMD not sending out any 3800x ones?

My mind is all over the place on what to do about any of this. But yes I'd rather wait until a final build of the bios update is ready.... but I really can't wait long. Maybe 2-3 weeks.

I hope you have time tot ell me what I should do for the fan setup and anything else I ened to know in the BIOS because it's my first build and I don't want to screw up. I want to do everything conservatively… No true OC on the cpu, not even an OC on the RAM since luckily these are rated for 3200 so my RAM will be just right for that without OCing it. Want the fan to be used as minimally as possible, since I'd rarely even have a heavy load.

.... Also, what's up with AMD not sending out any 3800x ones?

That is a really good question...and there's terribly little speculation from the on-line 'press' about it too. So I'm free to speculate!

I think back to comments about the Rome launch and how this whole chiplet architecture is a way for AMD to harvest the best of the best die while steering lower-binned die to lower chips in their product stack.

I think maybe the 3800x requires an 8-core die that is nearly perfect and those are, right now, going into Rome product for that huge exa-scale super computer contract they have. Even the 12-core 3900X gets along with two chiplet that have a couple cores disabled in each. The 3950X, in contrast, requires two perfect 8 core die so that explains why it's delayed till September for launch.

The 3600 and 3600X, in contrast, with 2 disable core and (3600) lesser quality silicon can be shipped like popcorn. I hope.

I'm sure AMD had a lot to say to their retail channel about staying at or below MSRP. Now e-bay (re)-sales will be a different matter, when they come up. If they come up.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
That is a really good question...and there's terribly little speculation from the on-line 'press' about it too. So I'm free to speculate!

I think back to comments about the Rome launch and how this whole chiplet architecture is a way for AMD to harvest the best of the best die while steering lower-binned die to lower chips in their product stack.

I think maybe the 3800x requires an 8-core die that is nearly perfect and those are, right now, going into Rome product for that huge exa-scale super computer contract they have. Even the 12-core 3900X gets along with two chiplet that have a couple cores disabled in each. The 3950X, in contrast, requires two perfect 8 core die so that explains why it's delayed till September for launch.

The 3600 and 3600X, in contrast, with 2 disable core and (3600) lesser quality silicon can be shipped like popcorn. I hope.

I'm sure AMD had a lot to say to their retail channel about staying at or below MSRP. Now e-bay (re)-sales will be a different matter, when they come up. If they come up.
Someone said Newegg had the 3800x today, but who knows... by the time I saw it, it said OOS, so not sure if they really had it in or he just meant they had it listed.

Well, the 2 reviews onn Newegg for the 3900x are promising, saying it's a big difference even between 2799(x) and 3900x, but they aren't verified purchasers.

I wonder how much I would notice slower web browsing compared with intel? I only have a very few days to decide what tio do on the cpu because b&h can charge restockikng so if they ship it I am not sending it back (unless a crazy deal comes around for like 20% off).

Someone said Newegg had the 3800x today, but who knows... by the time I saw it, it said OOS, so not sure if they really had it in or he just meant they had it listed.

Well, the 2 reviews onn Newegg for the 3900x are promising, saying it's a big difference even between 2799(x) and 3900x, but they aren't verified purchasers.

I wonder how much I would notice slower web browsing compared with intel? I only have a very few days to decide what tio do on the cpu because b&h can charge restockikng so if they ship it I am not sending it back (unless a crazy deal comes around for like 20% off).

I don't need any buyers' reviews on Newegg or any other store. Even die hard Intel fan boys like Linus (Linus Tech Tips) are pretty confident the 3900X is the desktop king. You can spend more on a 9900K to get a small, inappreciable, benefit in some games, but the 3900X just destroys it in almost any real-world productivity or content creation app. And those it doesn't it just beats it a bunch.

Some of the reviewers are even coming right out and declaring they can find very little reason to recommend buying Intel... Ry3k is simply superior at every price point. And Linus even wonders about when Intel drops 10nm (Ice Lake?) what AMD will do next since they've got 3950X...then Ry4k and Ry5k in the works. It's good for PC consumers, there's competition, at last.