Question Motherboard For Ryzen 3xxx

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, I am no way going to get a motherboard with a whining fan, so the x570 is out.

I thought well no problem I'll just use an x470 or b450 (I have a b450 bought and can still return it).

Well.... if I am reading correctly, to use a b450 or x470 for ryzen 3xxx, you must ALREADY HAVE a previous ryzen cpu set up with it in order to update the BIOS???

I am strongly considering backing out of selling my 2700x and just going ahead and building and forgetting that I am missing out on 3xxx.

I am already so tired of waiting for them to release the new cpus and it now confirmed none will be out before July... I sure don't want to wait even LONGER for b450 and x470 mobos on the market to have the latest firmware. Even the 2700x was already going to be overkill for my usage. Maybe I should cancel the sale and pretend 3700x won't exist?

Note: If I do build with 3700x, I'd almost surely be out close to $200 extra, as well. So deal with the hassle and pay $200 just to know I got the better hardware or keep what I have, save the money, still have more than I need.

Reactions: spacejunk

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Or I could stick with msi b450.... but like I said now I am even tempted by the pcie 4 ssds. lol. The sabrent one is on sale for $200 per tb. People say you don't need a nvme one at all, but if you're moving files from ssd to ssd, the speed differences would make a difference then...

But is the bottleneck the PCIE 3 interface or the SSD controller/flash? Is there really a significant real-world speed difference, or is PCIE 4 really more about meeting the incessant demands of marketeers for something new to sell?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
But is the bottleneck the PCIE 3 interface or the SSD controller/flash? Is there really a significant real-world speed difference, or is PCIE 4 really more about meeting the incessant demands of marketeers for something new to sell?
well some article reviewing them "claimed" they're 50% faster than pcie 3 ones. The pcie 3 ones, such as the 970 pro and 970 evo plus did use up almost the exact maxmimum of pcie 3.0x4 bandwidth.

Of course I am no expert on how all of that works, such as sequential writes and what the differences in speeds would be for simply moving one 40gb file or something, though.

I get a lot of these $50-$100 off deals, as well, so if I were to geta good deal on a pcie 4 ssd, I'd be mighty tempted to do it and sell my pcie 3 ones (all unopened).

But I have to do SOMETHHING now. I can't keep waiting around.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I "think" the BIOS on the msi isn't a BETA now, but can't tell... They released it a weeka go and it doesn't say it's a beta, but it still has a beta message up at the top of the support area, so not sure if it's a beta or not. It has a normal version number...

edit: actually, based on reddit posts, i think it's just a newer beta... Also, someone said they're not making a pro carbon max. This is another reason why I may just buy the x570. I don't need these ehadaches and people are saying they can't even get the BIOS flashed, let alone the issues for those who did get it flashed.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would still want a MAX version if you buy an MSI B450 or X470 because of the larger BIOS chip they are using on them.
If you buy a non-Max version it will be limited to a text based BIOS interface and may have issues with future AGESA versions due to size limitations.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I would still want a MAX version if you buy an MSI B450 or X470 because of the larger BIOS chip they are using on them.
If you buy a non-Max version it will be limited to a text based BIOS interface and may have issues with future AGESA versions due to size limitations.
I know, that's what I have posted in here that I was speculating on, too, is that without that bigger BIOS chip there may be yet more issues down the road. Just read where someone said msi isn't making a pro carbon max, though, only tomahawk and mortar. So I'll probably end up with an x570.

Reactions: DMAN999

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
But I have to do SOMETHHING now. I can't keep waiting around.

Given the current state of Ryzen 3000 support, waiting until the end of August would seem the best approach if you're intent on building around one of those CPUs. That's what I'm doing. As I understand it, the X570 boards support it better out of the box, but the BIOS is still essentially beta. If you need a computer now, the best thing might be to use a 2xxx processor, and then upgrade to a 3000 when the dust finally settles.

Reactions: Globber and DMAN999

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Can't do that because I'm not going to let myself waste yet more money, plus don't want to change parts back out.

Started leaning x570 pro carbon, giving msi another chance, then see their idiotic demands for their rebate. You must not only review the product, but you must put your real name on the review! I'd have to just temporarily do it until approved and then change the name I guess. Hardly anyone puts their name on reviews!

Was considering asus x570-pro, then realized it ahs no wifi. And a review on newegg says it keeps giving BSOD and has some led bug that other asus mobos have too.

tuff ones are good EXCEPT they have Realtek lan.

gigabyte elite has intel lan, but no wifi.

that msi carbon has no type c usb, I believe.

I saw a gigabyte x570 I Pro, then it sold out while I was researching.

I saw some mobo with 2 lans on it and wifi 6 as well. I can't find which one it was. I sure thought it was the asus pro, but it doesn't even have wifi and only has 1 lan...

The MSI one is rated the best so far, but since they demand reviews, people may be sucking up to them. lol.

Also amazon is sold out on about all of those. So what can I do now? This sucks. IO had the hard to find 3900x a week ago, yet I can't get a m,obo! And cases never going on sale, either.

Would I be dumb to bet an ITX since heat could be an issue? Some review said the heat issue is not true, anyway, though... (maybe someone linked it in here, I forget...).

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
So confused.

1. if a mobo says it has a front 3.2 type c or w/e, doesn't your case have to support it too? And what devices use type c?

2. will itx mobos get too hot and cause the fan to come on, ie I shouldn't risk one? Plus asus itx not even out still and I think it will cost $299, since the -I was same price as -f for x470.

Even though wifi 6 would be ncie FOR A ROUTER, I don't sue my pc wirelessly, so I guess I shouldn't worry about wifi 6. I need wifi at all only because I need Bluetooth for a VR headset...

So this is a headache. MSI I don't trust now due tio their ridiculousness. Many say don't trust gigabyte. I don't trust asrock. All that's really even left is asus and their sub-$250 mobos all have Realtek lan instead of intel...

...All that's really even left is asus and their sub-$250 mobos all have Realtek lan instead of intel...

LOL.... Asus owners logging WHEA errors on their boards...with Windows system files corruption.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cd7pqb/warning_samsung_nvme_ssds_also_subject_to_whea/

Everone's having problems but I'd not go Asus until they get off their 'to hell with AMD, I'm gonna do PCIe 4 everywhere and use a pre-launch AGESA if I have to' attitude. Risking flaky POST's seem to me far better than re-installing corrupted Windows system files every other day... and just what is it doing to my data?

USB 3.2 TyC connectors are usually on the back panel of the motherboard. What board are you looking at that has a header requiring a Ty. C connector on the case?

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
LOL.... Asus owners logging WHEA errors on their boards...with Windows system files corruption.
The OP in that post is actually talking about an MSI board:
So I've bought a Ryzen 3700X, MSI X570 Gaming Plus (using factory BIOS atm, AGESA 1.0.0.2, have latest chipset driver installed) and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB. Little did I know woes were about to commence...

And according to this the BIOS that shipped with the ASUS X570 Crosshair Hero boards (version 1.0.0.0) had that same issue but was fixed in BIOS 0702:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdsfmh/psa_nvme_ssd_file_corruption_linked_to_bios/

Last edited:
The OP in that post is actually talking about an MSI board:

And according to this updating from the BIOS that shipped with the ASUS X570 Crosshair Hero boards (version 1.0.0.0) had that same issue but was fixed in BIOS 0702:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdsfmh/psa_nvme_ssd_file_corruption_linked_to_bios/
That just started it though. And the 1.0.0.3ab AGESA in that new BIOS is what MSI's putting out with their new BIOS's (it's in my Mortar BIOS). But the point is everybody's experiencing problems and if you're not willing to deal with the teething issues (which includes staying up to date on early BIOS revisions!) just don't leap into it yet. I have to think this whole 'flash-back' bios idea has backfired because it's encouraged too many novices to take on that early adopter role thinking it will all be rosy and peachy.

But then AMD really screwed the pooch by not having a budget chipset ready for launch, too. Or at least an AGESA just for 300/400 series chipsets.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That just started it though... point is everybody's experiencing problems and if you're not willing to deal with the teething issues just don't leap into it yet. I have to think this whole 'flash-back' bios idea has backfired because it's encouraged too many novices to take on that early adopter role thinking it will all be rosy and peachy.

But then AMD really screwed the pooch by not having a budget chipset ready for launch, too. Or at least an AGESA just for 300/400 series chipsets.
I can't argue with that.
These issues are exactly why I won't even consider upgrading to a 3000 series CPU until sometime next year.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I can't argue with that.
These issues are exactly why I won't even consider upgrading to a 3000 series CPU until sometime next year.
Well, you'd be in the minority because most people upgrad ein the year a product is released and there's no reason to have a different mindset on these than any other profucts the year they come out.

Either way, that's fine for whoever wants to do that, but I have to build a pc soon and I am not going to switch out parts later on. I just need a straight answer on whioch mobos to get and apparently ALL brands suck. SO I should have ignored people about how oh so great it was to build your own pc and got a prebuilt instead.

Anyone going to answer about whether or not an itx mobo would be an issue or if usb listed on mobo has to then have a case with the same specs or if it's different or what?

Also, yet another issue is I never thought about heat from the pc warming the room! My plasma tv warms a room a lot and I was reading that a plasma is like 400-500 watts. So to use as pc you're putting out as much heat as a freakin plasma? I am out all of this expense just to then have crazy heat and utility bills.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I am not saying that ALL brand motherboards SUCK.
I am just saying that they need time to work out the BIOS bugs that always come when implementing a New chipset and CPU generation.

If you look through the threads here you will finds a LOT of threads from beginners that are dealing with issues caused by immature BIOS versions for the new X570 chipset and even the Ryzen 3000 series BIOS versions on older B450 and X470 boards.
This happens everytime a new CPU or chipset gets released and why most experienced PC builders tend to wait until they have had a chance to work out the Bugs before upgrading.

.... I just need a straight answer on whioch mobos to get and apparently ALL brands suck. ....

I don't believe that's fair... i think the board partners are pretty well at the mercy of AMD to release new AGESA code which seems seems to be at the crux of the issue. This was the exact same situation at launch of Ryzen 1000... my Gigabyte B350 board would cold-brick whenever it failed to train memory. It took two or three AGESA's to get that fixed, but only on the last AGESA did it get decent support to 3000 Mtps. The issues my show up differently depending on how mfr's implement designs, but they all had issues.

What an early adopter has to do in this case is learn how to deal with those issues until the stable BIOS comes out. In my Gigabyte's case I glued a plastic tab on the CMOS battery so I could quickly/easily remove and reinstall it to recover from cold bricks.

MSI let one hint out though: MSI_Jorge has suggested they could come out with a Ry3k only BIOS for their 400 series boards. That's significant because it suggests AMD is involved since they'd have to release an Ry3k only AGESA to go with it and they'd only do that if all the board partners are hitting them with issues.

As for your solution it's the same as it's always been: get a nice board (X470 probably?) that does what you want and put a ( heavily discounted while still available) 2700x on it. When everything shakes out THEN consider upgrading to a 3900X or 3950X. If you lack the constitution to be an early adopter and grow with the platform, that seems the best choice right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I am not saying that ALL brand motherboards SUCK.
I am just saying that they need time to work out the BIOS bugs that always come when implementing a New chipset and CPU generation.

If you look through the threads here you will finds a LOT of threads from beginners that are dealing with issues caused by immature BIOS versions for the new X570 chipset and even the Ryzen 3000 series BIOS versions on older B450 and X470 boards.
This happens everytime a new CPU or chipset gets released and why most experienced PC builders tend to wait until they have had a chance to work out the Bugs before upgrading.
I'm not saying you said they all suck. I am saying myself they clearly all do, given the issues each brand keeps having and I am talking about past versions, not just new ones. Every brand has horror story reviews, yet people insisted that building a pc gets better parts than prebuilts and I have never had a prebuilt seem very bad.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I don't believe that's fair... i think the board partners are pretty well at the mercy of AMD to release new AGESA code which seems seems to be at the crux of the issue. This was the exact same situation at launch of Ryzen 1000... my Gigabyte B350 board would cold-brick whenever it failed to train memory. It took two or three AGESA's to get that fixed, but only on the last AGESA did it get decent support to 3000 Mtps. The issues my show up differently depending on how mfr's implement designs, but they all had issues.

What an early adopter has to do in this case is learn how to deal with those issues until the stable BIOS comes out. In my Gigabyte's case I glued a plastic tab on the CMOS battery so I could quickly/easily remove and reinstall it to recover from cold bricks.

MSI let one hint out though: MSI_Jorge has suggested they could come out with a Ry3k only BIOS for their 400 series boards. That's significant because it suggests AMD is involved since they'd have to release an Ry3k only AGESA to go with it and they'd only do that if all the board partners are hitting them with issues.

As for your solution it's the same as it's always been: get a nice board (X470 probably?) that does what you want and put a ( heavily discounted while still available) 2700x on it. When everything shakes out THEN considering upgrading to a 3900X or 3950X. If you lack the constitution to be an early adopter and grow with the platform, that seems the best choice right now.
He was probably just speculating that it could be possible. Also, again, I am talking about products that aren't new as well. People still complaing about TONS of issues on 3xxx and 4xxx boards, which means even waiting over time doesn't make mobos stop being sucky, apparently.

if I don't want msi, about my only choices are to either get asus and hope they eventually fix it AND deal with non-intel lan or get gigabyte, who many bashed left and right for 4xx.

asrock has had audio issues for multiple generations.
asus…. I have an asus product that is having sisues.
msi.... they proved they're not with it to be the only company with bios beta versions right now.
gigabyte.... people bash them every year and sya their support is crap.

so what's left? biostar? has evga made any 5xx ones yet?

He was probably just speculating that it could be possible. Also, again, I am talking about products that aren't new as well. People still complaing about TONS of issues on 3xxx and 4xxx boards, which means even waiting over time doesn't make mobos stop being sucky, apparently.

In a world where people trip over their own shoelaces going to the bathroom it doesn't surprise me there are new-build horror stories around even the most mature of platforms.

It's remarkable to me that diy computer building has developed to the point that it's now thought of being as easy as snap-together Lego blocks. It's not.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
In a world where people trip over their own shoelaces going to the bathroom it doesn't surprise me there are new-build horror stories around even the most mature of platforms.

It's remarkable to me that diy computer building has developed to the point that it's now thought of being as easy as snap-together Lego blocks. It's not.
My point is I never have such issues with prebuilts, but people go on and on about how prebuilts are so horrible and building your own will get much better components, then I read how basically every mobo is junk where a large percentage have issues.

Oddly it seems like msi and gigabyte were the ones rated the best for x570 and now they have issues being reported.

My point is I never have such issues with prebuilts, but people go on and on about how prebuilts are so horrible ....
Having used both HP and Dell pre-builts over the years I can atest to the fact that they are great, but terrifically under-utilized. Their concern is to make a stable system with minimum call-backs and service support. So they don't push the margins of even the hardware they have inside and lock down their BIOS's so you can't either. But they pay off with the dirtiest, least well maintained systems still running a decade later even with a CPU fan clogged with dust and not spinning.

That said: my google searches are dirty with prebuilts based on 2900X's. I think you could get one of those and completely side-step the whole availability issue too. Which may help explain why the availibity issue became a thing in the first place: system integrators bought up as much as they could to get their systems out there. Between them and that exascale computer project sucking up the best chiplets we're left with only dribs and drabs coming to retail.

Not that it matters to me: I'm settled on a 3600 going onto my Mortar now. This hardware unboxed review convinced me it's the best choice since i'm putting it under an AIO where he found now difference in performance between the two.

TL/DW: the "X", the 95W TDP rating and the $50 difference comes down to the better cooler ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYiz0iUvp9w&t=14s

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Having used both HP and Dell pre-builts over the years I can atest to the fact that they are great, but terrifically under-utilized. Their concern is to make a stable system with minimum call-backs and service support. So they don't push the margins of even the hardware they have inside and lock down their BIOS's so you can't either. But they pay off with the dirtiest, least well maintained systems still running a decade later even with a CPU fan clogged with dust and not spinning.

That said: my google searches are dirty with prebuilts based on 2900X's. I think you could get one of those and completely side-step the whole availability issue too. Which may help explain why the availibity issue became a thing in the first place: system integrators bought up as much as they could to get their systems out there. Between them and that exascale computer project sucking up the best chiplets we're left with only dribs and drabs coming to retail.

Not that it matters to me: I'm settled on a 3600 going onto my Mortar now. This hardware unboxed review convinced me it's the best choice since i'm putting it under an AIO where he found now difference in performance between the two.

TL/DW: the "X", the 95W TDP rating and the $50 difference comes down to the better cooler ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYiz0iUvp9w&t=14s
don't want a 2xxx. There's no real point to one now, since amd about caught intel in some single core stuff in 3xxx.