Question Motherboard For Ryzen 3xxx

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, I am no way going to get a motherboard with a whining fan, so the x570 is out.

I thought well no problem I'll just use an x470 or b450 (I have a b450 bought and can still return it).

Well.... if I am reading correctly, to use a b450 or x470 for ryzen 3xxx, you must ALREADY HAVE a previous ryzen cpu set up with it in order to update the BIOS???

I am strongly considering backing out of selling my 2700x and just going ahead and building and forgetting that I am missing out on 3xxx.

I am already so tired of waiting for them to release the new cpus and it now confirmed none will be out before July... I sure don't want to wait even LONGER for b450 and x470 mobos on the market to have the latest firmware. Even the 2700x was already going to be overkill for my usage. Maybe I should cancel the sale and pretend 3700x won't exist?

Note: If I do build with 3700x, I'd almost surely be out close to $200 extra, as well. So deal with the hassle and pay $200 just to know I got the better hardware or keep what I have, save the money, still have more than I need.

Reactions: spacejunk

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
LOL...true enough! but this would be a little more since the VAR assembled, tested and pre-installed Windows so you have that much going for you.
well, plus when I said I haven't had prebuilt issues, I meant hardware.... I have had a lot of annoying issues apparently due to their BIOS and software. I won't buy anything hp again, due to all the issues on various hp products I've had.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
come on peeps, surely there is some opinion on which mobos to get IF one is buying them now.

I'd say I am leaning gigabye elite and using my asus wireless adaptor...

Then considering the asus tuf one and msi carbon one and not sure if I'd consider anything else unless evga made some, which I haven't heard they have though...

Well also still nobody has said if an itx one would be a mistake or not. the CASE I'd get would be the define c mini.... it's only 2 inches shorter than the define c and is a matx case, not itx, so wouldn't the heat issues be less of an issue since it's a biggish matx case?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
The closest to what I'd "truly" want is the gigabyte x570-I pro. But newegg reviews say: 1. that WHEA issue mentioned above and 2. the chipset fan whining when it does come on. I think other manufacturers may also have better fan controls to keep it off more. 3. a bit worried about itx for a build.

I really WANTED a small build from the beginning. But the Nano S case had a ton of people saying placement within it would cause issues for a gpu, ie blocking a fan of it. And that is the ONLY itx case I could find that seemed like it would be low on noise. So then wanted define c mini. But if I get ana tx mobo I am getting define c.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Notice this reviewer says the itx mobo I am considering seems to perform well:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AnOYVJefR4

However, notice also he says if the chipset fan runs it lowers max temp 20 freakin degrees! And I don't want the chipset fan running.

Didn't he test that outside of a case, though? Why would the mobo be getting 20 degrees warmer without the chipset fan running if it's not in a case?

I really would like that mobo if I could be ok using it and not needing the chipset fan much. It has the intel lan AND it ahs wifi AND it has ALC1220 or something like that AND is a smaller board, all for $219. To get the intel lan, wifi, and ALC1220 in an atx one the cheapest is like $270 I think.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hello? I really want to do the build in the matx case and get that itx board, but I can't get any straight answers on whether or not the chipset fan would truly come on more. I don't see why the board itself should matter, only the case should, it seems to me... ie if the case is bigger than itx, I don't see how it would be hotter.

I don't want to let this mobo sell out like everything else I consider... I wish I could get a matx board, but there's only asrock and I don't want it.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Sigh. I can't get anyone on here to explain how much an itx mobo itself affects heat and a chipset fan vs. how much it would be the case, ie space. I guess it would be both because on the mobo you'd be cramming things closer, as well. Would sure be nice to get that tix mobo, though. :(

Also, the 3900x is SELLING for $699 on ebay, but I can't decide whether to sell mine or not. After fees and shipping, that's still less than $100 profit.

edit: ps those WHEA errors are not because of ryzen 3xxx. Theya re due to windows and affect ssds with intel ssds, as well. regardless, that is troubling (although someone from AMD claimed it doesn't actually corrupt the data, it seems).

Last edited: