Question Motherboard freezes after entering Windows or sometimes when booting into BIOS

May 26, 2019
Motherboard in question:
AsRock 990FX Killer Fatal1ty AM3+ Socket

So, been a really frustrating a past couple of days. My motherboard seems to be acting up after about 3 years of use. Just as the title suggest, after entering Windows, it would freeze after about a minute or two. Sometimes it would boot up, display the BIOS screen and stays there.
Been to a local technician, told me he checked the AIO, the GPU, the processor, RAM, basically the whole nine yards. He concluded that the problem is the mobo.

Had to spend a couple of dollars replacing the old stuff with Ryzen compatible motherboards and DDR4 sticks. Now I was left with the old FX-8350, the faulty motherboard, and the DDR3.
Good news, I managed to sell both the processor and the RAM, and the buyers said that they had no problems with those components respectively.

Now I am stuck with this mobo and trying to figure out what to do with it. I could just list it online as a broken piece, but unfortunately, I can't really set the price since idk what exactly is at fault with the mobo.

Technician did say that the temp while testing was unusually high. Not that I have a deep understanding of which component he was referring to or just motherboard knowledge in general.

I searched multiple threads with freezing issues and a lot of them didn't really seem to help, like CMOS battery issue, VRM issue, blown capacitors etc.

So if anyone is aware of this particular problem, help a friend out. Cause the motherboard is just paperweight now, and the longer it takes for me having it, the further the price goes down on these components.

Oh and I did smell a burning circuit about a week before the issue started. It lasted for about 30 seconds, but was not coming from the PSU. The PSU I did RMA'd about a month before and got it replaced with a brand new one immediately from Corsair.

Spec before replacement:

AsRock 990FX Killer Fatal1ty AM3+ Socket
AMD FX-8350
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair AIO H80i V2 (w/ stock heat paste)
MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Samsung SATA SSD 250GB
Seagate 1TB HDD
Seagate 500GB HDD
2x120mm stock case fan plus 2 from AIO
Corsair CX750M PSU
Corsair Carbide Spec-03
Windows 10

Spec after:
MSI B450M Mortar AM4 Socket
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz

PS: Motherboard way past warranty, plus AsRock has a shitty RMA service in my country (Indonesia) not that it matters now. Decided to do with MSI and Corsair combo since they have the best RMA's in the country.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY