Question Motherboard fried/broke CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2020
So recently I had purchased a X570 Tomahawk, I used my broken/bent pin Ryzen 3700x as a placeholder CPU to flash the bios (note with this CPU the VRAM light would be on), but the CPU wouldn’t fit properly into the socket, one side of the CPU was noticeably higher raised up then the other, so I had presumed it was the bent pins obstructing it.

So I put in my Ryzen 7 3800XT (no bent pins, perfectly fine) and still had the same issue (note with this CPU the VRAM light disappeared). Like a dumbass I didn’t think much of it and decided to put the cooler down onto the CPU, and decided to run it to flash BIOs, the CPU made a buzzing almost pitched noise during the flashing and the motherboard kept showing the CPU ez debug light on. So I take it out and it still looks perfectly fine and pristine, no bent pins or anything.

I RMA the X570, and when I attempt to put the 3800XT in my old mobo, the PC turns on the off very quickly, however when I use my 3700x, it turns on, but gives me VRAM issues. So I’m wondering if the motherbord could have possibly fried or damage my 3800XT?

I had someone tell me that it was the PSUs fault, that it surged and that all my components are fried and need to be replaced, but super flowers support team reached out to me personally and asked me if there were any burns marks and such (which they’re weren’t) and that they’re were safety measures in place that should’ve shut down the PSU if it surged.

So I’m honestly lost if whether it was the motherboards defective socket that killed my 3800XT, or if the PSU fried my RAM and is the reason for why my old mobo beeps out faulty ram codes

(sorry for the long post, tried to summarize it as best as I could)

Last edited:
I can't follow that very well...paragraphs were invented for a reason I've come to realize.

So...as far as I got...it sounds like you crammed a cpu with bent pins into the socket and pushed it down with a cooler mount. So yes, you've doubtless ruined the socket.

Further troubleshooting is pointless.

Hopefully motherboards will hit the bargain bins early next year.

Dec 23, 2020
I can't follow that very well...paragraphs were invented for a reason I've come to realize.

So...as far as I got...it sounds like you crammed a cpu with bent pins into the socket and pushed it down with a cooler mount. So yes, you've doubtless ruined the socket.

Further troubleshooting is pointless.

Hopefully motherboards will hit the bargain bins early next year.
I apologize, I edited the post to hopefully make it more clear.

To be exact though, the CPU with broken pins I did a quick test with, I didn’t cram it down or even pull the lever down on it when it was “somewhat” in the socket.

It was with the new CPU (no bent pins) that I place it in there and still had the issue where it wouldn’t fit properly in the socket. I presumed nothing of it and put the cooler on top.

Flashed bios, let it sit there, then I heard cracklings and smoke coming from my RAM and now neither of my ram or new CPU works.

I apologize, I edited the post to hopefully make it more clear.

To be exact though, the CPU with broken pins I did a quick test with, I didn’t cram it down or even pull the lever down on it when it was “somewhat” in the socket.

It was with the new CPU (no bent pins) that I place it in there and still had the issue where it wouldn’t fit properly in the socket. I presumed nothing of it and put the cooler on top.

Flashed bios, let it sit there, then I heard cracklings and smoke coming from my RAM and now neither of my ram or new CPU works.
Ahhh...much better! so how did the first CPU come to have bent pins? Did you pull it out of socket when taking off the cooler (a common thing to happen)?

And along with that, socket contacts can also get damaged.

At any rate: check socket contacts carefully. I find holding a bright light at an oblique angle and looking at how the bright metal contacts gleam (yes, pretty shiny things fascinate me) can be a 'tell'. Look for contacts that don't gleam like the ones they are close to.

And...lastly...what you describe is one of the worst scenarios. A damaged motherboard that can damage a PSU and CPU...or damaged PSU that can damage a motherboard and then CPU too.

But maybe it's a damaged CPU?

At this point you'd want to test just the PSU separately to see if it will turn on and deliver a safe +12v, the only way to do that is with a multimeter at least. If you've PSU has a healthy over current protect, it's not so likely the MB damaged it though.

As far as motherboard CPU and ram go...wow...without proper test equipment it's really hard to isolate which might cause problems for any one thing you get.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
PLEASE!!

No more threads on this particular malfunctioning collection of parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.