Motherboard Fried? Or What?

CarbonFibre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Ok, so i leave my computer on all the time, but recently, i came back from a small trip and my monitor did not detect a signal. i checked my mouse and my keyboard and their lights weren't on. when i thought that it may be the connection mucking up, i tried to restart it, but it didn't turn on. my motherboard is a ATI 9950 Black Edition i believe. if the power supply matters it a 600w OCz. i don't know a lot more so i cant tell you. but is it a motherboard issue, battery issue or a power supply issue?

Solution
Check the voltage of CMOS battery. Determine positive and negative polarity by the plus or negative sign engraved on top of the battery. Set the voltmeter to the lowest range above 3 volts. Apply the positive multimeter lead to the positive side and negative lead to the negative side. Read the voltage. If the meter reads below 2.5 volts, consider replacing. If it reads below 1.8 volts, replace the CMOS battery.

Check the voltage of CMOS battery. Determine positive and negative polarity by the plus or negative sign engraved on top of the battery. Set the voltmeter to the lowest range above 3 volts. Apply the positive multimeter lead to the positive side and negative lead to the negative side. Read the voltage. If the meter reads below 2.5 volts, consider replacing. If it reads below 1.8 volts, replace the CMOS battery.

Solution

CarbonFibre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Ok. Is The CMOS Battery on the motherboard? i assume its not the lithium battery.

CarbonFibre

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Pardon if i make any punctuation mistakes. its 4 o clock in the morning and i cannot type. ive checked the cmos with 3 other mobos i had around. im gonna use these mobos to test whether its the cmos or the psu. i believe its the mobo its self, or a mucked up capacitor.my mobo is ancient: ill give you what i know of my pc stats and hopefully that will help you in determining if i should trash this dino.
Mother Board and Processor- AMD Phenom 9950 Black x4 cores. clock at 2.6 OVclcked to 2.8 GHz
GPU-AMD Radeon 5770HD 1Gb RAm 128bit
PSU-600w OCz PSU
8Gigs of DDr2 ram-
No SSD
thats it. i left out obvious stuff. time to go to bed. Bye