[SOLVED] Motherboard gets power, No debug LED, PSU clicks

Nick_k

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
I’m doing a new system upgrade, basically a whole new computer. The build went super smooth (and might I say it looks real good) but I’m hitting a few hiccups now that I’m in the first time booting phase. To preface, here is my new system:

Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair H150i Capellix
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3 UG
MSI X570 Ace
64Gb Trident, 3200, CL16
1Tb 970 m.2
256Gb 980 m.2
2Tb WD blue
Lian Li O11 dynamic
(Oldish) 850w EVGA Supernova 80+ gold

If there are any blatant compatibility issues please let me know. I’m stupid sometimes. The main issue I’m running into is the PC gets... some power, but doesn’t boot. The power button and manual OC knob on the motherboard both turn on, but there are no other signs of life coming out of it. Whenever I try to turn it on, either via the case or the mobo directly, the PSU just makes a single click. That’s it. None of the Debug LEDs light up, no signs of motion for even a split second. My room light does flicker a bit, and I became more concerned and inclined to believe it was a PSU issue by the fact that it had the same behavior from different outlets around the house.

If anyone has any clue as to what might be happening, please throw your insight my way. I’m completely stumped. The only thing I’ve yet to try is breadboarding it, but it’s 1:30am and I have work at 7am... Thank you all in advance!

Solution
Okay so this might be it and I feel REALLY stupid, but also a little frustrated. I have a single 8 pin plugged in and a 6+2. I’m frustrated because the latter is labeled as a CPU cable, not PCIe. If that’s the case and the single cable swap works, I’m still gonna use the new power supply anyway.

The CPU cable is for the motherboard secondary power for the CPU, not for the video card. Follow the right cable labels and also from the power supply ports. Odd the cables even fit in the wrong spots, the CPU and PCIe power cables are pinned differently so you can't mix them up without using a lot of force to shove them in.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the unit?

As for your motherboard, are you sure you've got the latest BIOS update on the motherboard in order for your drop that Ryzen 5000 series processor onto the socket? Refer to page 59 in your motherboard manual, here, in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version. You will need a donor system/laptop to prepare the drive for your BIOS flash.

Nick_k

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Sounds more like a short somewhere to me but Lutfij is correct, that processor needs the motherboard to be at least at version 1c of the bios.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE#down-bios
The motherboard, supposedly, came shipped ready for 5000 series CPUs, but I could have one that wasn’t completely ready. It should still turn on at the very least though, right? I’ll double check for any shorts on the board and unwanted contacts with the case, but everything seems crisp and clear.

Nick_k

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
How old is the unit?

As for your motherboard, are you sure you've got the latest BIOS update on the motherboard in order for your drop that Ryzen 5000 series processor onto the socket? Refer to page 59 in your motherboard manual, here, in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version. You will need a donor system/laptop to prepare the drive for your BIOS flash.
The PSU is... well kinda old? I think running on 3 years soon so it should still have some life left in it. I’m gonna get another one as a backup and test unit anyway. And the mobo should have come pre-configured and ready for 5000 series to be dropped in. If that was the case, the PC would turn on, but not POST, right? Right now it’s just not turning on.

Nick_k

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Make sure your running 8 pin CPU\ESP cables to the CPU and not 8pin PCIe cables. I know some EVGA PSU come with 6+2 and a single 8 pin cable for PCIe. I would go back and double check all wires coming from the PSU
Okay so this might be it and I feel REALLY stupid, but also a little frustrated. I have a single 8 pin plugged in and a 6+2. I’m frustrated because the latter is labeled as a CPU cable, not PCIe. If that’s the case and the single cable swap works, I’m still gonna use the new power supply anyway.

The CPU cable is for the motherboard secondary power for the CPU, not for the video card. Follow the right cable labels and also from the power supply ports. Odd the cables even fit in the wrong spots, the CPU and PCIe power cables are pinned differently so you can't mix them up without using a lot of force to shove them in.

Solution