Motherboard gets power, some things work but laptop won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
When turning on the laptop, except for lights coming on, nothing happens. After a while the ODD's making noise, like if it's trying to read a disc that isn't there. It keeps on making this sound at even intervals, around 5-6 seconds apart.

The CPU-fan is not turning on right away, but it does go on after a while when the CPU starts to heat up. So, apparently it's trying to do work. Or does CPUs get warm even if they don't get any instructions?

I tried unplugging the RAM and powering on expecting some beepcodes, but nothing. I also removed the CPU to see if the ODD kept on making noise, maybe it tries to boot from DVD or something. But, with CPU removed it still makes noise with regular intervals, Without a CPU it's impossible it's trying to boot.

So I just want some second oppinions on this, the motherboard is busted right? Even if the CPU seems to be working, and the motherboard is able to keep track of the temp, it still doesn't do anything different no matter what components I remove.
I also tried plugging in a second monitor, no visual at all either on laptop or external monitor.

Solution

No, it's not your fault, I read your post bad.

My opinion is that, yeah, the motherboard is dead. You're going to have to get a new one. There is definitely something that is not connecting in your motherboard, it seems that the only thing working is the power supply, which is the cables that lead to the fans and lights...

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
I had this problem on my old laptop. If you check your BIOS settings, you will either have an option that specifies where the PC / laptop boots from, or you have a list of boot options, and you set their priority.

If you have an option to specify a boot option...
If you have the operating system installed on your hard drive, choose the hard drive that you have the OS installed on, if you have more than 1 hard drive, make sure you choose the correct one, as only one might have the OS installed.

If you have to select priorities...
Make sure the HDD, or whatever has the OS loaded onto it, is at the top of the list, so it can be booted from that source first.

Make sure that anything to do with boot source is set to the source that has the OS loaded onto it.

If all of that fails, you could try and use a backup CD, and boot it from the ODD.

I hope I solved your problem, good luck, DibDibs.

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

I must've been very unclear, sorry.
The laptop isn't working, there's no sign of life whatsoever except for lights actually turning on, CPU-fan occasionally spinning, and the ODD making the noise.
I get nothing on screen, not even if I plug in an external monitor.

As I said, I'm pretty confident this motherboard is waste but I want someone else's opinion as well. Maybe I missed something in troubleshooting it.

DibDibs

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

No, it's not your fault, I read your post bad.

My opinion is that, yeah, the motherboard is dead. You're going to have to get a new one. There is definitely something that is not connecting in your motherboard, it seems that the only thing working is the power supply, which is the cables that lead to the fans and lights.

So, yeah, if I were you, a new one would be in order!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.