Question Motherboard getting no power, but power supply working fine

Sep 5, 2019
I was playing on my pc last night and it’s been fine since I’ve had it and I turned it off, then this morning I turned it on for it to not show any signs of life, no beep no lights no nothing. So after a bit of looking into it I came across the paperclip test for the power supply and I tried it and it works fine yet when it’s plugged in, nothing? Any ideas?

jimmysmitty

Polypheme
The paperclip test just shows if the power supply will power. However it does not tell if it will power under a load.

To make this easier for us to assist you list your specs:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
GPU:
HDD/SSD:
Power Supply:
Operating System:

Sep 5, 2019
CPU: intel i7-6700
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
Memory: 16GB g.skill rip jaw
GPU: MSI 980ti
HDD/SSD: Kingston like 120GB SSD not sure about the hard drive I think it’s seagate 2TB
Power Supply: 600w EVGA
Operating System: WINDOWS 10

This pc has had around 2-3 years of life I assumed maybe it could be the power supply just dying as it does make a weird noise when it first sets up but just too unsure. Thanks for the reply

jimmysmitty

Polypheme
If that is your PSU, from what I can find it is not a particularly fantastic unit. It is more OK with some meh parts to it. I would not be surprised if the PSU did die.

The best test is to get a known good working PSU and test it. If it works then PSU is for sure bad. That would be my suggestion.

If you do I would go for a Sasonic (most any of them), a Corsair (similar to Seasonic but with a few more lines I would avoid) or the higher end EVGA units. The PSU is a very important part and its never a good idea to skimp on it to save money. Always invest in a good PSU and it will serve you well.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS