Question Motherboard getting no power, but power supply working fine

Sep 5, 2019
I was playing on my pc last night and it’s been fine since I’ve had it and I turned it off, then this morning I turned it on for it to not show any signs of life, no beep no lights no nothing. So after a bit of looking into it I came across the paperclip test for the power supply and I tried it and it works fine yet when it’s plugged in, nothing? Any ideas?

Sep 5, 2019
CPU: intel i7-6700
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
Memory: 16GB g.skill rip jaw
GPU: MSI 980ti
HDD/SSD: Kingston like 120GB SSD not sure about the hard drive I think it’s seagate 2TB
Power Supply: 600w EVGA
Operating System: WINDOWS 10

This pc has had around 2-3 years of life I assumed maybe it could be the power supply just dying as it does make a weird noise when it first sets up but just too unsure. Thanks for the reply

Typically PSUs have the model on the side on a sticker. EVGA has some really good units and some OK to not so good units. The model will help us determine that.

1.3k_12v_RAIL_lrg.jpg

If that is your PSU, from what I can find it is not a particularly fantastic unit. It is more OK with some meh parts to it. I would not be surprised if the PSU did die.

The best test is to get a known good working PSU and test it. If it works then PSU is for sure bad. That would be my suggestion.

If you do I would go for a Sasonic (most any of them), a Corsair (similar to Seasonic but with a few more lines I would avoid) or the higher end EVGA units. The PSU is a very important part and its never a good idea to skimp on it to save money. Always invest in a good PSU and it will serve you well.