[SOLVED] motherboard gives 5 beeps with no display after attempt to reset cmos by removing battery ?

May 2, 2021
my computer has been not registering shut down or start button (yes the header is plugged in) and also shuts down especially on high load and randomly. I take out the cmos battery (it was working just fine) to reset the bios. After taking it out and waiting a few second I put it back in and attempt to start up the computer I am presented with a black screen and 5 beeps (ami bios).
Is my motherboard bricked?

Solution
my computer has been not registering shut down or start button (yes the header is plugged in) and also shuts down especially on high load and randomly. I take out the cmos battery (it was working just fine) to reset the bios. After taking it out and waiting a few second I put it back in and attempt to start up the computer I am presented with a black screen and 5 beeps (ami bios).
Five beeps after failing POST on an AMI BIOS motherboard usually means a bad or incompatible CPU. That's fairly common with AM4 motherboards as many people are buying newer CPU's than the motherboard itself so it's BIOS is incompatible. Usually a BIOS update fixes it but you may need a compatible CPU to do it with.

It...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information pertaining to your system. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU apart from the wattage(and it's make and model). Can you recall the BIOS version that was on the motherboard? Disconnect the front panel power connectors(if this isn't a prebuilt system) and use a screwdriver to short the +ve and -ve pins on the motherboard for the front panel power. I don't think the motherboard is bricked, more like the PSU is incapable of delivering power to all devices, though that's an assumption.

Five beeps after failing POST on an AMI BIOS motherboard usually means a bad or incompatible CPU. That's fairly common with AM4 motherboards as many people are buying newer CPU's than the motherboard itself so it's BIOS is incompatible. Usually a BIOS update fixes it but you may need a compatible CPU to do it with.

It would be strange to do this after CMOS reset, but then you never indicated if the system ever worked either. More information and someone can be more specific....see @Lutfij 's post.

Last edited:
Solution