[SOLVED] Motherboard, GPU, or both?

Mistaline

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

I've been stalling it out for a while, but it's about time I change my motherboard.
My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and my GPU is a Ryzen gtx 1080ti. My current motherboard is a B350 Tomahawk, running on a custom Bios to make it run the ryzen 3600.

I'm looking to make at least a small upgrade to make at least a small increase whilst gaming.
My main question was; is it a good idea to replace the motherboard, or would the graphics card be of a bigger impact?

My eyes were set on the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Motherboard, but haven't looked into graphics cards yet.
I was always under the assumption that my motherboard was slowing my setup down, but google is telling me otherwise.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated!

Solution
Hello everyone,

I've been stalling it out for a while, but it's about time I change my motherboard.
My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and my GPU is a Ryzen gtx 1080ti. My current motherboard is a B350 Tomahawk, running on a custom Bios to make it run the ryzen 3600.

I'm looking to make at least a small upgrade to make at least a small increase whilst gaming.
My main question was; is it a good idea to replace the motherboard, or would the graphics card be of a bigger impact?

My eyes were set on the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Motherboard, but haven't looked into graphics cards yet.
I was always under the assumption that my motherboard was slowing my setup down, but google is telling me otherwise.

Endre

Honorable
Hello everyone,

Hello!

Motherboard quality is important because it can allow you to install a higher speed CPU and RAM. Also, the motherboard can use newer connecting protocols (generation of chipset, PCIe, SATA, USB, audio DAC etc.)
However, the motherboard itself does nothing directly, being only a connecting device between different PC parts.

The video card affects the gameplay directly.
The faster it is, the better it is in terms of FPS and smoothness.

CONCLUSION:
If you want to build a PC using a high-speed CPU and RAM, you should buy a good motherboard!
But also, buy a better video card!

Last edited:
Solution