[SOLVED] Motherboard hanging after enabling XMP ?

Ingey1968

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I recently (today) decided to enable xmp. Since i did it my motherboard hangs on a yellow light for about 60 -120 seconds when booting (didnt do this before enabling it) It still boots into windows, just takes longer. My question is, should this be concerning and should i disable it?

MOB: MSI B650M Mortar
CPU: 7950X
Ram : vulcan (t-force) ddr5 5200 mhz 16gb x 4)

Solution
So, your memory IS running at 5200mhz with timings of 40-40-40-76 and a command rate of 1T. This tells me it IS running at the XMP profile.

I think I would try rolling back to the earlier stable BIOS if you are still having problems, unless a newer stable release has been made available since this conversation began.
What is the exact model of your memory kit?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Yes, you should be concerned, because what this means is it is probably NOT working at the XMP profile speed or it is having problems with the memory profile and is reconfiguring the timings each time you boot. You MAY need to make changes to the primary memory timings or add a small bump in DRAM voltage, especially since you are running four modules. Most Ryzen systems have somewhat greater difficulty running four DIMM configurations and often can't achieve the advertised profile speed or require tweaking in order to do so.

Is your memory kit actually a 4 DIMM kit or is it two separate 2 DIMM kits together?

Ingey1968

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Bios version is e7d76ams.a31

ram was two kits of same exact type
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan DDR5 Ram 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 5200MHz (PC5-41600) CL40 Desktop Memory Module Ram (Black) for 600 Series Chipset FLBD532G5200HC40CDC01

What is the exact model of your memory kit?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Yes, you should be concerned, because what this means is it is probably NOT working at the XMP profile speed or it is having problems with the memory profile and is reconfiguring the timings each time you boot. You MAY need to make changes to the primary memory timings or add a small bump in DRAM voltage, especially since you are running four modules. Most Ryzen systems have somewhat greater difficulty running four DIMM configurations and often can't achieve the advertised profile speed or require tweaking in order to do so.

Is your memory kit actually a 4 DIMM kit or is it two separate 2 DIMM kits together?

That's a beta BIOS version. You might want to try the previous stable version, 7d76vA1. I generally don't recommend running BETA BIOS versions unless they specifically address something you are already having a problem with because, well, they are beta versions. That means they may have bugs or errata since they are not fully vetted. If they were, they wouldn't be listed as BETA versions. Once fully vetted, they generally get a new version identity.

Ingey1968

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
That's a beta BIOS version. You might want to try the previous stable version, 7d76vA1. I generally don't recommend running BETA BIOS versions unless they specifically address something you are already having a problem with because, well, they are beta versions. That means they may have bugs or errata since they are not fully vetted. If they were, they wouldn't be listed as BETA versions. Once fully vetted, they generally get a new version identity.
Thanks, had the geek squad look at it last week and , they must have used it. can you roll back to the old one with the flash option>?

2500mhz TIMES 2, because DDR, double data rate, applies. BIOS is showing the doubled bandwidth. But also, just because something shows in BIOS doesn't always mean it makes it through the POST process and the BIOS may adjust some settings as a result of it's training results if it sees problems. Usually it will permanently change that setting though so that it would look the same in the BIOS . Also, 2500mhz doubled is less than the 5200mhz you're showing in BIOS. It would only be averaging 5000mhz then. If it was showing 2600mhz or something close to that, then it should be 5200mhz.

Can you take screenshots of your SPD and memory tabs in CPU-Z?

Or install HWinfo and take screenshots of the relevant memory sensors.

Ingey1968

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
first two are with xmp off, 2nd two are with it on and ther hwinfo is with it on

oSBYD50.png

bcH9s6L.png

aIMoGYw.png

FVPwduJ.png

mPXR4zJ.png

So, your memory IS running at 5200mhz with timings of 40-40-40-76 and a command rate of 1T. This tells me it IS running at the XMP profile.

I think I would try rolling back to the earlier stable BIOS if you are still having problems, unless a newer stable release has been made available since this conversation began.

Solution

Ingey1968

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017

i did, no change, still having the issue. i will just turn off xmp, dont have any issues with boot with it offg . thanks for the help

So, I wouldn't give up that easily. What I'd try next is bumping up the DRAM voltage since you're running four DIMMs.

The advertised memory kit speed, timings and voltage are generally, especially in a case like this where you are not running ONE kit that all came together, but two kits comprised of two DIMMs each, intended to only be good if using only two DIMMs.

Since you are running four, and especially since this is a multiple kit situation, I'd try enabling XMP and then increasing the DRAM voltage in the advanced memory section incrementally, by .005v increments (Or whatever the smallest increment it will allow you to increase it by is for that board model). Increase by .005v, save setting, exit BIOS, see if it will POST. If not, back into BIOS, increase by another .005v, save settings, rinse and repeat. If it doesn't work by the time you get to 1.4v then it probably isn't ever going to and at that point I'd be willing to make the assumption that the problem is simply down to incompatibility between the two kits regardless that they are the same packaged model number.

There can be anything from identical composition to highly different configurations between memory kits that are the same model if they did not come off the assembly line during the same production run, and sometimes even then, which is why they get tested together for compatibility before they are packaged together and sent out the door.

You can read more about that here if you are interested.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792