[SOLVED] Motherboard has 4+4 and another 4 pin connector for the CPU. Necessary?

Mar 24, 2020
I bought a msi mpg z390 pro carbon board and it has an extra 4 pin slot for the cpu power. Is is really necessary to plug it in.? When would you need to use it?

Solution
Could it be this?

the extra 4-pin CPU power connector, labeled as "CPU_PWR2" is for supporting additional power (75W +12V) to the CPU if you OC your CPU. Plugging EPS2 power cable into CPU_PWR2 is optional and isn't needed for normal operations of MoBo.
Mar 24, 2020
Could it be this?

the extra 4-pin CPU power connector, labeled as "CPU_PWR2" is for supporting additional power (75W +12V) to the CPU if you OC your CPU. Plugging EPS2 power cable into CPU_PWR2 is optional and isn't needed for normal operations of MoBo.
Yes that was it thanks. Would it be good to plug it in for overclocking? have a i9 9900k

See I don't think i have the plugin on my power supply for it. Iwas wondering if it was some other kind of 4 pin connector
Oh, I see. My bad. :(

Well, as others have said you don't necessarily need it (although i would check the motherboard manual to confirm).

That being said, if the engineers put it there I'd see if I can't get a beefier power supply with that connector on it too--just to be safe.

Reactions: MatthewPav
Mar 24, 2020
Oh, I see. My bad. :(

Well, as others have said you don't necessarily need it (although i would check the motherboard manual to confirm).

That being said, if the engineers put it there I'd see if I can't get a beefier power supply with that connector on it too--just to be safe.
I'll look to it in the future. I already ordered it and its hard to get this stuff anyway because I'm outside of the country with the military