Question Motherboard has 4 SATA ports but the BIOS only shows 2

Jul 1, 2020
I'm using a dell optiplex 3010 MT with the SLJ4B chipset and an i5-3570. The PC works just fine, I'm currently using sata-0 (ssd) and sata-1 (hdd) and wanted a third drive in sata-2 but 2 and 3 don't show in the bios. I made sure the third drive is actually powered and the sata cable works, I swapped it with the second drive (sata-1).

Jul 1, 2020
It's a Dell bios, you could check for an update or email Dell support. Dell does not do things the standard way. I would also try resetting the CMOS after checking for an updated bios if there is none.
I just don't understand why I would need to update the bios when the motherboard comes with 4 sata ports. Shouldn't the very first version of the bios recognize that there are 4 sata ports? I don't know, a bios update might fix it, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

RealBeast

Titan
I just don't understand why I would need to update the bios when the motherboard comes with 4 sata ports. Shouldn't the very first version of the bios recognize that there are 4 sata ports? I don't know, a bios update might fix it, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
For only one reason: It's a Dell.

I know that it doesn't make sense but they do proprietary stuff for some reason -- probably product differentiation.

Jul 1, 2020
I just found this: Read page 34 of THIS. The ports are disabled for some reason, and you need to enable them. Why? Because it is Dell's way. :rolleyes:
The first image on the original post shows that I can not enable them because they just simply do not show up. On page 34 of the manual, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in SATA Operation it lists two options, Disabled and ATA, but right now I'm configured with AHCI mode.

RealBeast

Titan
It could be a different bios, but that is your manual that says you can enable all four SATA devices, so if you cannot find anything in the bios advanced options to allow you to change the drives I would try a newer bios if one exists.

Jul 1, 2020
Guess it doesn't hurt to try. I'll update the bios and see what happens
Edit: I updated the bios to A22, latest, and nothing changed. BIOS-->System Config-->Drives still only shows SATA-0 and 1

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY