Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorbek

Honorable
May 12, 2017
PSU--> Chieftec Iarena GPA-450s
Mobo--> Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V
CPU--> Intel i5 7400
So the problem is that my PSU has one 4-pin connector and on my Mobo is a 8-pin CPU connector. I can plug in the 4-pin. Does my CPU get enough power with this 4-pin or I have to buy an other PSU?

Solution

The 8-pin connector is literally designed as two of the 4-pin connectors put together. It is entirely possible to just plug the 4-pin connector in the 8-pin slot. It won't damage anything, but the motherboard will detect the difference and either not start up at all, or run in a VERY restricted mode. Using an adapter like that would technically get around that problem and let the system run at its full capacity, but it's an unsafe band-aid solution.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

it will be fine for now, but I recommend you get something like this for the near future: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-ATX-4-Pin-LP4-Molex-to-8-Pin-EPS-Power-Adapter-Cable-20cm-/380417127745?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

The 8 pin is mainly for high powered systems, however, some are wired to only work with an 8 pins EPS connector, so you may have to pick up the adaptor cable quite quickly, your 4 pin connector will only fit into one side of the 8 pin plug, if it doesnt go in easily, dont force it, you've probably got the wrong side.

Dorbek

Honorable
May 12, 2017

Thanks a lot but I need a bit of clarification. Will my CPU work with the 4-pin as it's intended? Btw I don't have to force the 4-pin, it fit's perfectly.

P.S.: You saved my life, i wouldn't think that there are adaptors like the ones you shown.

The 8-pin connector is literally designed as two of the 4-pin connectors put together. It is entirely possible to just plug the 4-pin connector in the 8-pin slot. It won't damage anything, but the motherboard will detect the difference and either not start up at all, or run in a VERY restricted mode. Using an adapter like that would technically get around that problem and let the system run at its full capacity, but it's an unsafe band-aid solution.

Solution
I'm guessing new to Forums, Dorbek so I'm going to explain that the report button is not for the use of commentng "This is an Ad from a Bot" when reporting a post from a Moderator.

When you've learned that bit, take note that you don't report it a second time.

Where is your rationale in those comments? A power supply with an eight pin to send enough power to the motherboard is a recommendation and a good one at that.

So on page 13 of the manual you need to use the bottom half of the 8 pin if you only have a 4 pin connector.

But rule of thumb if your PSU doesn't have the right connectors for the job, its time for a new PSU. Don't use splitters because the original wire might not be rated for that many amps that you are now doubling because of the splitter.

If your psu does not have the 8 pin connector just upgrade. Sure it can work with just the 4 pin but you will be restricted. A psu that doesn't have a 8 pin connector is either really old or a new piece of junk.

Dorbek

Honorable
May 12, 2017

My PSU has more than enough watts to feed my PC, so I think I can use an adapter. There is my rationale.

What is your current psu brand, modelname,...

serozhka

Prominent
May 29, 2017
Hi!
I have the same bad situation.
MSI B250M-PRO-VD
Pentium G4560
8GB RAM

For some reasons, I bought Chieftec 500W GPE-500S (which was advised as new revision'17 model), but I didnt ever realized that it doesnt have 8pin cpu connector (as 600W model has). At this moment , mobo has 8pin connector, and my "new 2017 model psu" has only 4 pin connector. So I connected mobo with only 4 pin, and it works ok now. But I didnt run any games yet or did any heavy load, because videocard is still on its way.
Unfortunatelly, I am not able to return mobo/psu to a shop. Can someone please confirm if those "4 Pin ATX & 4 Pin LP4 Molex to 8 Pin EPS" are still good idea?
I thought maybe it would be better to feed one part of 4pin on mobo with connector from psu, and the second part of remaining 4 pins can be feeded from molex adapter then? Issue there is that cpu 4+4 pins on mobo are mirrored, so I cannot take an adapter from molex, because it will fit only one side of pins (the same as connector from psu).

Chieftec is a HORRIBLE psu maker get that thing out and do not use a adapter what so ever.

serozhka

Prominent
May 29, 2017
You say, chieftec is bad. OK, perhaps it is.
But what you can suggest within 400-500w in budget psu? I just need bronze and pfc, and, of course, 8pin cpu connector.

It's either 60 euro for a psu that won't fry your pc or a 39 euro psu that will fry your pc. There is a reason those psu's are cheap. They are cheaply made with low grade components and only meant to try to last for enough time until the warranty is up. However they almost never reach those 2 years and when they break the whole pc thends to die with it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer. It's a low-end PSU I wouldn't let touch anything I own.

You misunderstand me. There's your propblem means that is where your problem lies and is a frequent quote from a well-known global TV programme.

If I wanted to say it is your problem, I would say "that's your problem". Your actual problem is in insisting on a cheap PSU against a more expensive, higher quality model. Most of us would agree that the PSU is the most important piece of equipment in a PC. The machine won't work without it and nor will it work properly if it is sub-standard.

The problem is also that the best answer that got selected tells him that it's a very unsafe band aid solution to use a adapter for the pc and all the answers above it already told him that it's a garbage psu. Yet he keeps on insisting to use that psu or a diffrent form of the same psu. One of the most common problems I need to fix are bad psu's (chieftec is often among them) that fried the pc because the user thought that 700w was enough yet those psu's couldn't handle said wattage as this was just a lie to get them sold and the pc got fried. In a best case scenario it will work for a while and die and not take anything with it but usually it damages or takes some components with it. Then again it's his problem if he does decide to buy a bad psu against everyone's advice. Then there was no point in this thread anyway.

davrays

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

The interesting thing is - where I live, the most companies/offices are using cheapest quality Chinese PSUs bought at around $10-20. They buy them in quantities for all the new PCs (used by office workers, developers and everybody else), use them for many years without a single issue. That was always surprising me, that that is a fact :)
So one would assume cheap PSUs are frying mobos only in first-world countries, but work perfectly for the third-world..? :)
I want to stress again - those el-chipo PSUs work for thousands of people for many years (5-10 years without single issue), and most people here do not even realize one could buy PSU for more than $20-30 bucks if one is not a gamer.

BTW, the Chieftec mentioned above, is highly rated by Russian media and HW labs, so I can easily understand the scepticism of poster, when he is being told that brand is low-quality. Compared to the PSUs I mentioned above, that Chieftek is kind of a Bentley, as it at least has a brand name and it costs 3x the price people are used to pay for PSU in my country (that is not Russia btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.