[SOLVED] Motherboard has two models?

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Hello People of Tom's Hardware, I have come again to ask for your genius minds to help me figure out what the heck is happening to my motherboard.

So! let's get on with a little backstory. This was wayyy back in like 2018 or 2019 there was a time where prebuilts were more cheaper than building a PC, one caught my eye, t'was an HP Pro 3130 MT. I also partnered it up with a R9 290 Vapor-X (pretty nice gpu if you ask me) and sadly 2gb of RAM xD (had a bit of a problem with my upgrade)

It's been running fine ever since HOWEVER, this recent days I've become a little ambitious, so I've tried to play AAA games, yep! with 2gb ram, I guess you could see where this is coming to, like 5 days ago my PC crashed (uh oh) and I've worked my ass of to try and fix it (i think i fixed it by resetting the CMOS or just letting my PC rest for a few minutes), here comes the problemmmm. Back when it came brand new, the boot said that it was like made in the "University of Seoul" and no sign of the original company, here comes the crash and boom! the University thingy? gone! instead it was replaced by the good 'ol American Megatrends. The bios is the same tho. When I did a little bit of digging (CPU-Z, Mainboard tab) I saw that my motherboard model was "2A9C" by MSI, HOWEVER (god, i am obsessed with HOWEVERS) when I take a look at my Motherboard the model is "MSI-7913 or the Iona GL8E" so I am wondering what I should do.

ANOTHER BACKSTORY xD this is the problem with my RAM upgrade.
If saw my old thread, my motherboard had a memory limit at 4GB but the max capacity is 16GB with 4 DIMM slots. I am wondering, could I possibly reset/tweak some stuff on my MOBO to allow 8gb with dual channel? (basically 2x8gb ram) I know its like IMPOSSIBLE to tweak it buttt, idk xD.

Thank you for taking the time to read my "damsel in distress" thread xD

Last edited:
Solution
Someone asked same question of HP 5 years ago -

As I was doing my research, I ran into some conflicting information on the Hp website and what my computer is telling me is in my computer. I have a HP Pavillion p6680t desktop computer and according to the hp website I should have a MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) but, according to CPU-Z I have a MSI-2A9C. I was thinking of upgrading my Memory to 16gb but from what I understand the MSI-2A9C cannot support more then 8gb of Memory but, the MS-7913 (which my system was meant to have when I purchsed it) can. I

and the answer was
HP has their motherboards made to their specifications. The motherboard in your computer was made by MSI for HP. Therefore, you have to go by...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Someone asked same question of HP 5 years ago -

As I was doing my research, I ran into some conflicting information on the Hp website and what my computer is telling me is in my computer. I have a HP Pavillion p6680t desktop computer and according to the hp website I should have a MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) but, according to CPU-Z I have a MSI-2A9C. I was thinking of upgrading my Memory to 16gb but from what I understand the MSI-2A9C cannot support more then 8gb of Memory but, the MS-7913 (which my system was meant to have when I purchsed it) can. I

and the answer was
HP has their motherboards made to their specifications. The motherboard in your computer was made by MSI for HP. Therefore, you have to go by the upgrade information provided in the specifications in the upgrade sections. The retail version of the motherboard will most likely have different specifications.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-into-some-information-that-does/td-p/4981131

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Cpu-z didn't make up the '2A9C' number, but it's not an MSI motherboard listing (MS-7613 Is MSI model), it'll be a HP designation of that MSI board.

You have a mini-tower (that's the MT designation in the name) so a different actual motherboard than what goes into a laptop, so the laptop specs do not apply.

You have 16Gb max, it's an lga1156 motherboard. Just be very careful about ram, I'd not be trusting ebay or other resellers, as lga1156 was kind of finicky about ram types. You Will need Intel spec low density ram, not the high density that amd used and later became the norm. Try and stick with Crucial or Kingston ram, use the ram checkers on those sites for best match.

Last edited: