[SOLVED] Motherboard headphone jack not working

keviny123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Hello everyone. I had recently built a gaming computer and wanted to try using a microphone. My motherboard brand is
When I plug in headphones with a built in mic in either the front panel headphone jack or the back panel headphone jack, I am not able to record/say anything into the mic. It is just static. I downloaded the audio driver on msi website but it still does not work. Also, the name of the headphones I tried using were sony noise cancelling headphones with built in mic and also the apple earbuds with built in mic but neither of them work.

Solution
Both your headphones and Apple Earbuds are made to be used with a phone, tablet or a laptop. They all have a combined jack for sound and mic. Your motherboard, and most desktops have separate jacks for sound and mic (two holes). You need a splitter.
Both your headphones and Apple Earbuds are made to be used with a phone, tablet or a laptop. They all have a combined jack for sound and mic. Your motherboard, and most desktops have separate jacks for sound and mic (two holes). You need a splitter.

Solution

keviny123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2019
Assuming you have your motherboard sound drivers installed, you may want to check your sound settings, that the correct device is selected for sound and mic.
it is selected. The mic is still just static, and the same thing applies to both the front panel case mic jack and the back panel motherboard mic jack, so I am fairly sure it is not a hardware problem.