[SOLVED] Motherboard installation

ShadowsFury

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
Hello,

So we are building a computer and are stuck at the installation of the mobo into the case.

They are compatible (ATX) but do not seem to fit together (easily?).

The case is a Skyline-06-WR
https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16811353100

The mobo is a B450-F
https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16813119140

The issue seems to be the IO shield (pre-installed on the mobo) has a bit of a lip as does the place where the IO shield should fit into (theoretically they should interlock) but the angling doesn’t allow it to.

Suggestions?

Solution
did you take measure of the i/o shield on the board size of it like side to side then top to bottom and check the case seams to me the black plate hole its to small on it for the board shield .
it usually take a good bit of force/smacking to get the IO shield to fit into its place. I'm surprised that they would make motherboards with it pre-attached as that sounds pretty inconvenient.

I think you just have to use more force and the IO shield should fit in, I would probably remove the IO shield from the motherboard if thats possible, and put it in separate from the motherboard.

ShadowsFury

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
Update; decided to just go with the above image link.
Wasn’t working otherwise due to the pre-installed IO shield setup and it held in place well (9 screws).

Likely just a minor issue with the case and this particular mobo, hence no other issues similar

ShadowsFury

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
@jsmithepa fair. In my case I woulda had to either removed most of the lip from the mobo or Case to get it to fit properly (was just a poor match I guess)

@geofelt unfortunately not. Tried to look into it but it seemed soldered on at a few different points. In most cases, the IO shield is separate so easier than this

ShadowsFury

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
@scout_03 yea, it’s just a matter of getting the angle for the lip on the case to interlock with the lip on the IO shield. AKA a general nuisance for this combination. Went with not having it on the outside, rather the aligned what should be showing on the outside of the IO shield slot with the shield itself, so it aligns, just on the inside so not interlocked.

The screws keep it in place though, and it seems fairly solid (no wiggle/movement)

The rest of the build after that went smoothly aside from the DVD drive, but that’s likely a bad SATA cable or slot so we can just move it around as opposed to RMA’ing and going without it for 2-3 weeks.

All in all, it works and runs smoothly :)