Question Motherboard intermittently cannot detect GPU (check VGA LED on)

kevdliu

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
What is your parts list?
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
  • GPU: EVGA ICX Nvidia Geforce 1080
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w
  • Mobo: Asus Rog STRIX 470f

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Computer worked properly for a month. Then one day, after I pressed the power button, the white check VGA led stayed on and I saw no input on my monitor. The GPU logo light and fan however were on. Sometimes turning the PSU off, waiting for a few minutes, and then turning it back on resolves it, sometimes it doesn't.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

I tried using a different PCI slot and cleared the CMOS to no avail. Initially thinking it's a GPU issue, I RMAd the GPU. However, the replacement GPU worked for 2 days and then started having the exact same issue. Check VGA LED light stays on on the motherboard and no input on the monitor. Power cycling the PSU did not fix it this time. I tried putting the GPU into a friend's computer and that worked, which means it's probably not the GPU that's broken.

At this point, the two candidates are the PSU or the motherboard. I have heard that it could be that the PSU is not providing enough power to the GPU? I'm not really sure. I'm trying to decide whether I should try RMAing the PSU or just bite the bullet and RMA the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated!