[SOLVED] Motherboard is dead?

Feb 14, 2020
MY PC
Asus X99 DELUXE
Msi 980 TI Gaming 6G
SSD Samsung EVO 250 GB
RAM G. SKILL RIPJAWS 4x4 GB
PSU Corsair HX 1000i

I tried with and without RAM. Same with the graphics card, ssd,.PSU works 100%. NO beep NO Red Code. Only green on

Solution
Then yes, I'd agree with you that the chances are very good that the motherboard is dead. I can't really see much of anything else it could be if you have removed the graphics card, all but one stick of memory, all drives, it's sitting on cardboard and it still doesn't power up the fans and keep them powered up and no lights or error codes are shown. Dead board.
You can't POST without RAM anyhow, so that wouldn't work.

You can't POST without a graphics card either.

Although, in both those cases the system SHOULD be able to at least power on and keep the fans spinning so I'd agree that you likely either have a dead board or a dead CPU, and it's most likely a dead board because with a dead CPU the fans, again, would most likely be spinning.

I'm assuming it does the same thing with the memory removed, and the graphics card?

Last edited:
Then yes, I'd agree with you that the chances are very good that the motherboard is dead. I can't really see much of anything else it could be if you have removed the graphics card, all but one stick of memory, all drives, it's sitting on cardboard and it still doesn't power up the fans and keep them powered up and no lights or error codes are shown. Dead board.

Solution
It is very doubtful that there are any "cheap" replacement options for your motherboard. New options are going to be very expensive because that platform is many years past being current and used options are probably risky because you don't really know what you are getting.

As you can see here, there are barely ANY options anymore for new replacement boards.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=101&sort=price&page=1

And what there are are very expensive.

And used, well, it's like rolling the dice.

Finding an Ebay seller with a lot of sales and a very high feedback rating is your best option, but it's no guarantee you won't still either get a lemon or get a board that the seller thinks is fine but truly doesn't have all that much life left in it. This is exactly why I try to tell people that IF you plan to use your platform beyond whatever time the hardware lasts, buy a second motherboard, because the motherboard is the one thing that will probably fail and can't easily or cheaply be replaced later on, so having a replacement, and getting it while prices are still reasonable, is a good idea.

At some point they become very hard to come buy and the prices go through the roof. Or, you take your chances on a used board.

Here's the thing though. For around 320 bucks, give or take, you could have a system that would not only cost you less in all probability than finding a replacement board for your current system would, but that would crush it when it comes to performance as well. And you can most likely reuse the DDR4 memory you have now, depending on what you have and whether or not it's worth reusing. Honestly it might be worth spending a little more for a 3600mhz memory kit depending on what your current kit consists of, but I'd probably just try to use what you already have first IF you decide to do that.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-5820K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/2340vs3494

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $319.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-14 19:43 EST-0500

Feb 14, 2020
THX again bro. All day I was looking for x99 and nothing. I was also thinking about changing the board and processor, My RAM will fit?? I don't have much time to check

Those will probably not work. You will likely need to get new memory BUT, you can certainly TRY them if you want but you will likely need to manually configure them for 2933mhz because Ryzen platforms do not like 3000mhz memory settings and they tend to not want to run with a lot of 3000mhz memory kits, at all. But it is definitely worth trying if you want.

To be honest though, IF you can afford it, it is a much better option to upgrade to faster memory because the Ryzen platform will translate faster memory into moderately faster performance. 3200mhz CL14 or 3600mhz CL16 sticks are primarily what you want to target. Those 3000mhz sticks with CL16-18-18 are actually pretty slow anyhow. Considering they were likely purchased very early on after the release of DDR4, it's not that surprising.

Memory is cheap right now, I'd recommend new sticks if you can afford them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $393.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-14 20:22 EST-0500