Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2021
In my house, I've had Google Fiber. I've ran a Ethernet test from the main hub, to my PC and it's shown that I'm able to get 980Mbps down and 890Mbps upload. Amazing, but my landlord won't allow me to keep the ethernet hooked and wired throughout the house. Sucks, but no fighting it I suppose. So now I have Spectrum, their first plan I tried was the 400Mbps downloads speed plan, and it worked fine for my motherboard, it was ranging from 350-330Mbps down and it was to my expectations. Now I've upgraded to the Gig internet plan, it's supposed to give me around 900Mbps down at least. My upload is at 40Mbps which is what they're advertising, for sure. And I get the upload no problem and with 30ms. So everything else is fine, but my download. I've had 2 tech guys come out and look at wiring from the coax cable to the modem, they say now everything is running fine, and when I run Wi-Fi tests on my S21 Ultra it's giving me 950Mbps download speed. Spectrum keeps telling me it's my motherboard but I personally don't think so. My motherboard is not giving me that speeds, it's fighting to stay around 300Mbps down. I've even had to get a Gig ethernet card that fits in my PCI-e slot, still giving me the same tests. Could there be any limitations on my motherboard I'm not knowing about? Are there anything I can do to get my motherboard to give me the speeds I'm looking/paying for?

Edit: I'd like to not as well, on the previous plan I had with Spectrum my steam downloads were at 50Mbps ranged, now I'm getting about 20Mbps or less.

I have:
  • i7-10700k CPU
  • 2080 Super GPU
  • Msi Meg Z490 Ace Motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM
  • 750W Gold EVGA PSU
  • OS is on a M.2 970 Evo Plus
  • 2 2TB HDD 7200RPM
  • 1 Extra M.2 NVMe

Last edited:
Solution
yeah. i think you're on the right track. if no one bothered to google the mobo specs, the lan says 1GB &2.5G.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-ACE/Specification

1x Realtek® 8125B 2.5G LAN controller
1x Intel® I219V 1G LAN controller

does it need driver updates

https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller Software

Network Interface Controllers > 2.5G Gigabit Ethernet > PCI Express
RTL8125 / RTL8125B(S)(G)
lol. kinda huge but i...
Nov 30, 2021
It's a router sent from Spectrum. IT's the 3rd one they've sent me, it's not wifi-6 though. The previous one was, and it was having the same issue.
I'm able to open the card settings but I don't see where the settings are to switch to 5GHz band at.

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
yeah. i think you're on the right track. if no one bothered to google the mobo specs, the lan says 1GB &2.5G.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-ACE/Specification

1x Realtek® 8125B 2.5G LAN controller
1x Intel® I219V 1G LAN controller

does it need driver updates

https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller Software

Network Interface Controllers > 2.5G Gigabit Ethernet > PCI Express
RTL8125 / RTL8125B(S)(G)
lol. kinda huge but i copy/pasted..

please don't be insulted if i gave you info you already found.i see you're new so i have no idea your experience level but let me just say , if you don't know it yet, google can be your friend. i'm bored tonight and need to sharpen my repair/build knowledge so i'm poking around here and another site.. good luck

Solution
Nov 30, 2021
Drivers are already installed. Google brought me here so I suppose I'm already doing that lol no worries my guy. New to the site but not new to PC. I'll poke around some more though. Think Spectrum is gonna have an earful very soon.

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
yeah. their eqpt sucks but i'm in northeast usa and have spectrum and we only need to use their modem, we can buy our own router. asus,sysco,netgear ,whatever brand,,wifi ac/ax, features we need netgear nighthawk gaming style routers,etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.